General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best Car Cover ?

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:38 PM

Best Car Cover ?

Just looking for a little guidance .
I have a 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe 442 , that has never spent a day outside since a frame off body restore . In January , it will be under a large outdoor tent for maybe 6 - 7 days and nights .

Any recommendations on brand / fabric type ? And , who to buy it from ?

Thanks in advance , Jim Tuma
Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:23 PM

If the tent has sides, I'd say no cover, then carefully detail it when it gets home.

If the tent is open on the sides, wind plays hell with covers. I run a single layer cloth cover on cars stored in garages.
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:32 AM

I bought mine at carcovers.com. Great price and good customer support. My cutlass remains outside from spring until the fall, when she goes into storage, and their 3 ply covers keep the rain off and the fleece underneath does not damage the finish at all. They also come with ties that go underneath so wind is not a worry either. One of the best parts was the price, $180.

This past spring I noticed a small tear in the fleece (the cover was 2 years old), I e-mailed them a picture of the tear and they sent me a new cover at no charge.
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Thanks..

Chip , I did look at that web site , seemed like good and straightforward info.
I'm going with it ..

Koda ; You also hit on my reality concerns with open tent overnight storage .
Wind - rain - and general " Where did this gob of Dookie come from ? " .

I will post pictures of my adventure .. This will be for Russo - Steele , January
29th or 30th , 2016 . My 442 will not be going home with me ...

JT
Old November 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM

I use this cover from Amazon during the driving months in Jersey because garage is usually tied up with one thing or another. I would not say its the best but very good for the money and I think the higher in price you go will just really get you a cover that will out last a good cheaper cover and you are only dealing with 7 days. Good luck
Amazon.com: OxGord® Signature Car Cover - 100% Water-Proof 5 Layers - True Mastepiece - Ready-Fit / Semi Custom - Fits up to 216 Inches: Automotive Amazon.com: OxGord® Signature Car Cover - 100% Water-Proof 5 Layers - True Mastepiece - Ready-Fit / Semi Custom - Fits up to 216 Inches: Automotive

Last edited by nj67; November 4th, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:46 PM

NJ , thanks for the info .

Did you go with the 204 " or the 216 " ??

The oldsmobility web site says our cars are 204.4 inches long . I'm just wondering which you went with .. Man , that is a really decent price ..

Again , I appreciate the information . My past 3 covers came from California Car Covers ... And , they have just kind of priced themselves out of the business .
Nice product , but , between 3 and 400.00 is hitting the price threshold ..
I also just cringed when I first hit Amazon , they just have way too many choices .. Good info . thanks , jt
Old November 5th, 2015, 04:49 AM

I went with the 216 for fear the 204 would be small. It is bigger then need be but not an issue at all.
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Best Car Cover ADVICE-1970 442 with W-25 OAI & W-35 Rear Spoiler

So my cover is finally done for, it is 12 years old and I can't even figure out who I bought it from. The receipt is M.I.A. from the file-imagine that ! What I DO remember is the cover I initially bought had to be returned. It did not fit right because of the OAI & Spoiler. So last week I sent an e-mail off to Covercraft asking will it fit (after explaining the options and giving them guidance on the height increases). They said they would custom build one using their triguard....for just under $450. Too rich for my wallet without asking around a bit.

Sooooooo....can anyone share their experience with scoops and a spoiler ? I want a decent fit, soft insides, indoor use, outdoor overnight once in a blue moon. And NO, I'm not talking about a woman !
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I bought mine at carcovers.com. Great price and good customer support. My cutlass remains outside from spring until the fall, when she goes into storage, and their 3 ply covers keep the rain off and the fleece underneath does not damage the finish at all. They also come with ties that go underneath so wind is not a worry either. One of the best parts was the price, $180.

This past spring I noticed a small tear in the fleece (the cover was 2 years old), I e-mailed them a picture of the tear and they sent me a new cover at no charge.
Wow that sounds like the right company to do business with.
Old November 25th, 2015, 05:05 PM

WR1970-thanks, I did go to carcovers.com & went back again after reading your post. I found they have one for the Hurst Olds. I think that would def. take care of the OAI, but someone needs to refresh my memory as I thought the rear spoiler was not standard equipment on the H/O.