General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

BBO swap from AC to Non AC.

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2019, 09:38 AM

BBO swap from AC to Non AC.

Ok, years ago.. about 49yrs I swapped in a 68 Toronado 455 into my 65 442. I didn't realize I needed to swap out the water pump and all the brackets to make things line up. So I ended up with a semi AC setup. I would like to clean things up and swap back to a Non AC water pump, pulleys and alternator brackets. Down the road if I can't turn the wheel due to age and weakness, maybe add power steering.

My question is, has anyone been able to piece together aftermarket brackets and pulleys to come up with a workable combination?

I talked to Fusick and was advised to better find a donor car with all the front end of the motor and buy all of it. I agree, but I should have done this 40yrs ago.. much easier then!

So if anyone has been down this road and would like to share, I would love to hear about it!!

Thanks!
Dick
Old June 24th, 2019, 09:52 AM

An assembly manual from 68 would have the information for which pulleys to use. I would not buy aftermarket, stick with stock for less confusion. I mention 68 as you say that is the year engine in your 65. When you buy a waterpump be sure to get the one that is the correct height and sized right for your lower radiator hose. Should not be that hard to do as I think alot of the stuff is common to 68 - 72.

Don W
Old June 24th, 2019, 12:30 PM

Thanks Don,
I will search for an assembly manuals and see what I find.
I do have a pdf of the 65 manual. I did find some good info there.

Thanks for the info.

Dick
Old June 25th, 2019, 05:56 AM

Hi,

I'm doing a similar conversion, 68 455 ac engine in a 65 non-ac Cutlass, I am using 2 belt pulleys and my 330 brackets except for the Alternator bracket, which 65 (2-piece) is a 1 year only but the newer one will work(3-piece) for water pump I have the short one 5.1"

Hope this helps

Regards,
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Gadget, I did the opposite, I changed from non-a/c to a/c with the help from the guys on this site. Someone here will have what you need, just ask specific questions. These guys are great with parts and knowledge. Be patient.
Good luck with it.
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:48 AM

Thanks Toocool!!
I ordered a CD with 65-68 assembly manuals that will be here Friday. That should give me some guidance on what is actually needed.
Not in a rush, need to finish the suspension and brakes and all that first. But I eventually want to clean up the engine compartment. The Non AC setup is much nicer than having just the Alternator on the AC bracket hanging out where it does.!!

Thanks
Dick
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:54 AM

Jmos4,
Thank you for that info. Are the pulleys repops, or original? I am considering using the Flowkooler 1575 water pump. That is suppose to be 5-1/8"..
Fusick told me to use all stock, not willing to try and sell me all compatible pieces. So I am a bit leary on the repops. But if someone has done it.. then I would.

Do you have any pics of your setup that I could compare? Ok, just saw the referenced post of a pic of your 2 piece, 65 I believe.

Thanks!
Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; June 25th, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:49 AM

Hi,

Mine were originally from the 330, any from 64-67 I would think should be the same.

I believe my engine build will be using the same water pump or one similar as not sure who else makes the short pump with hi flow.

I am out of town so no real pictures. Check out 442bro.com a few pictures on there of belt layouts and other good information.

Regards,
Old June 25th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Beer Connoisseur

[QUOTE=Mr Gadgets;1181014]

My question is, has anyone been able to piece together aftermarket brackets and pulleys to come up with a workable combination?

/QUOTE]

This might not be what you a re looking for but here is what I have on my 455.

6" Milodon water pump, CVF racing pulleys. CVF racing Alternator bracket, stock power steering bracket.

Everything lined up as it should and it works problem free.

Old June 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM

70cutty,
That looks gorgeous!! Very clean setup!! I will have to look at that option!! Hard to resist!!

Now at first glance, I am thinking $$$$!! But I am surprised to find they cost similar to stock stuff.. HMmmmmm.

Let me ask, I see CVF shows two pump heights. 5.6" and 6.0" pulley kits. Did you go with the 6" because you couldn't find a high flow 5.6"??
Another question. I assume that is a CVF alternator, do they make a three wire, or just the one wire units?

Thanks!
Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; June 25th, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
70cutty,
That looks gorgeous!! Very clean setup!! I will have to look at that option!! Hard to resist!!

Now at first glance, I am thinking $$$$!! But I am surprised to find they cost similar to stock stuff.. HMmmmmm.

Let me ask, I see CVF shows two pump heights. 5.6" and 6.0" pulley kits. Did you go with the 6" because you couldn't find a high flow 5.6"??
Another question. I assume that is a CVF alternator, do they make a three wire, or just the one wire units?

Thanks!
Dick

Thank you.
Yeah, CVF stuff is not crazy expensive and it's top notch quality, Made in USA.
My engine was built with that water pump, bought pulleys to match the pump.
Alternator is from Tough Stuff, CS130 housing, 160Amp, bought it on Summit Racing. They do have them with OEM hookup.
Old June 25th, 2019, 08:48 PM

Thanks 70cutty!! I like the looks of that. I may just go that route!!
What about the power steering pulley, I couldn't find it on CVF's site.
Now if I can find a 5.6" water pump they are talking about, it will give me more room.

Dick
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Beer Connoisseur

power steering pulley
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Thanks 70cutty!! I like the looks of that. I may just go that route!!
What about the power steering pulley, I couldn't find it on CVF's site.
Now if I can find a 5.6" water pump they are talking about, it will give me more room.

Dick

Think you want a 5.1" water pump as I know my 330 had very little room for the clutch fan, not sure if a 5.6 pump would fit in a early 442/Cutlass with a stock rad and fan arraignment.

Regards,
Old June 26th, 2019, 08:53 AM

Thanks Cutty!!

jmos4, CVF has a setup for a 5.6" and a 6"..
I always thought it was short and long. My 65 had a short pump on it, originally. I swapped in the 68 Toronado 455 and didn't realize the difference. This was 49 yrs ago and I had to make it to work on Monday. So the long pump stayed and the other stuff went back to the salvage yard with the core motor.
So I had to move my radiator forward in order to make things work. I would like to move it back. So I need to see what they mean by the 5.6".

Thanks!
Dick
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:18 PM

I found it easier to find the pulleys and brackets then buy the water pump that fit them.
I would like to swap to a big block (400) in my Vista cruiser but I had so much trouble getting the correct pulleys and brackets for the a/c on my 330 I am afraid I would run into the same issues again.

Last edited by Toocool; June 26th, 2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Toocool
I found it easier to find the pulleys and brackets then buy the water pump that fit them.
I would like to swap to a big block (400) in my Vista cruiser but I had so much trouble getting the correct pulleys and brackets for the a/c on my 330 I am afraid I would run into the same issues again.
The Pullies and brackets are the same from what I understand, unless you have 64 only brackets, my early 65 has a 1 year alt bracket-non ac, unsure if there was a SBO only AC setup. The belts will get longer due to deck height.

Post a inquiry on this site and someone should be able to shed more light on the subject, specific to the AC setup.

Regards,
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Keep in mind guys it is not only the water pump height but also the diameter of outlet on water pump. Different years use different sizes. So you need to match that up with the lower hose on the radiator that you plan to use.

Don W
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:48 AM

Talked with FlowKooler guy yesterday and he verified the 1576 pump has a 2-1/8" inlet tube and is 5-5/8" from mounting surface to mounting flange, where the pulley mounts.
So I am going to go with that pump and the CVF pulleys and that alternator that 70cutty is using.
70cutty I sent you a pm.
After that I need to find a power steering bracket and a pump and a power steering box, but that can wait till later!!

Making progress!!
Dick
Old June 28th, 2019, 11:20 AM

70cutty, sent you a pm. Having trouble finding that alternator or exactly what model it is.

Thanks
Dick
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:00 PM

Ok.. my parts came in while we were on vacation. Still waiting on the water pump!
But here's a shot of what I ordered.
Thanks Cutty for the direction and info!

Dick
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:10 PM

70cutty,
I sent you a pm asking about the CVF pulley being thicker so the nut doesn't have many threads clear to put the nut on. Wondering it this was the same for your setup??
Here are some pics of what I mocked up on the bench..

Sorry if the pics are overwhelming. I reduced them to 30%, may need to make them smaller in the future.

Thanks!
Dick