General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett Jackson busted for fake

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Moment Member

I wouldn't do business with a guy that wears sunglasses at night. That's a dead douchebag giveaway. They don't call it BJ for nothing.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Registered Abuser

What about lot No. 1?

1992 OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 ROYALE 4 DOOR SEDAN

Summary: This 1992 Oldsmobile contains the following features: air conditioning, power windows, vehicle security system, pass key, body accent stripe, engine block heater, trunk cargo net and a 3800 V6 tuned supercharged engine. Sold on a Scrap Title!!!!!!.

Someone actually paid almost $5000 for this.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=403&pop=1
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM

Did Pontiac stamp vin numbers on engines as early as 63?? News to me? I didnt think any GM did it until about 68? So, I guess Steven Davis is selling "snake oil" again -eh? Claiming all the things about the item and then casually saying, "Buyer Beware" - Believe what you want! There out to be a way to stop the fraud and scamming thats going on out there in Scottsdale!!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM

After a looong, drawn-out explaination of the 'controversy' on this vehicle, B-J went ahead and sold it for $120,000!

Ghouls!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM

of course they did. they wanted the commission. if you watch the auction closely you will see a lot of questionable activity. personally I think they are the worst auction company out there.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rickman48
After a looong, drawn-out explaination of the 'controversy' on this vehicle, B-J went ahead and sold it for $120,000!

Ghouls!!!!!!!!!!!
A long cry from the pre-sale $1M predictions, but still... people are idiots.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM

I guess as long as there are fat drunk rich guys desperately trying to be on TV and impress the young blonde they rented for the night then BJ auctions will continue on.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM

You guys see the 67 corvette, went for 72,000. Thought it should of went for more, or is it just me?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I guess as long as there are fat drunk rich guys desperately trying to be on TV and impress the young blonde they rented for the night then BJ auctions will continue on.
Where is the "extreme like" button associated with vBulletin BBS software?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM

It is late......I am reading contradictory statements.....I gotta re-read all this and the links tomorrow......yaaaawwnn.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM

Please refrain from impugning the reputations of young blondes!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM

Yep, I watched as they did everything that they could to justify the car, all the while washing their hands of any responsibility. What money grubbing pieces of S@#t!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Hey.. those are their "nieces".
You see the "long in tooth" one wearing a Japanese scholgirl outfit with the blouse tied up so you could see her big stretch mark encrusted belly hanging out?
I went blind after witnessing her hideous visage. It only returned after I washed my eyes out with a brine salt and gasoline mixture and going to confession. The priest sentenced me to a thousand Hail Marys for smiting God for giving me sight and asked for her phone number.
I hope I don't have any flashbacks.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

You ain't right, lol! But.... you are funny!!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM

I saw the Lincoln in the Ford Museum and I had mixed feelings about it. It obviously has history and not too far away from it is Rosa Park's bus another piece with its own shameful history - though thankfully changed things for the better.

It was interesting to read that the Lincoln was used later and converted to a removable hardtop as mentioned. But it was still creepy being that close to a car that was so infamous, and I wasn't even a live at the time - I also remember seeing the seat that Lincoln was sitting in at the play in the museum as well - just weird stuff when you stop to think of it. . I like that it is in a museum that anyone can see but understand why the ambulance would have been crushed - I would have wanted that as well.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by stevengerard
... it was still creepy being that close to a car that was so infamous...
How do you think Presidents Johnson, Nixon, and (I think) Ford felt riding in it ?

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; January 23rd, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Personally I think the real ambulance should be in the Smithsonian. That just my opinion. I read several years ago that Bobby Kennedy had it destroyed.

The Lincoln underwent what was referred to as the "Quick Fix". It had a permanent non-removable roof installed (I don't believe a president has ever ridden in an open car since Kennedy). The car received a ton of modifications that included armor plating since it had none. I remember Motor Trend doing an article about 20 years ago about the Quick Fix. Of course now I am sure there is all kind of documentation on the internet.

One other interesting tidbit, Jack Ruby was driving a 1960 Oldsmobile the day he shot Oswald.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Haaa-Haaaa Funny. who cares even if it was original. Its really just a creepy part of History. Whats BS will they come up with next to sell a Car!
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Who cares? Really? BJ is not the evil overlord.......nor a blessed angel. Who gives a chit if someone has a spare $130K to spend.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Rickman48

Ghouls!!!!!!!!!!!
Think of it as an investment. At a standard price of $500 per ambulance ride, the wagon will be paid off after 240 trips to the hospital.

It will be paid off even faster if someone with good insurance is dying and needs overpriced meds.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

BUT.....
It will probably just end up being an oxygen wasting conversation piece that someone's grand kids will eventually sell for crack cocaine.
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... Crack cocaine...

Actually, cocaine explains BJ better than most other things.

- Eric
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:06 AM

Whats really sad is it may be worth it know.They could bill it as the car that fooled the world.Kinda like how a boot leg nascar t-shirt is worth more than the original cause there harder to find.Remember when nascar tried to stop the town of Charlotte from selling souvenirs that had the name Charlotte on them?
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM

OK, this is going to sound a little crazy but after looking at the picture of the ambulance in the link below, that background looks identical to one I posted about a while back. There was a '74 Eighty Eight listed on ebay and it was listed as a '75. I forget all of the details but when I emailed the guy he replied "somebody told me it was a '75". The whole listing looked fishy and I'm 99.9% convinced it was parked in that same driveway! Could it be this guy is a total scam artist?

http://jalopnik.com/5739333/presiden...ance-is-a-fake
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM

I got REAL interested in this particular case of the Barrett-Jackson "Smoke and Mirror Show". Check out the 40 plus page thread on the link to the "Professinal Car Society" website on this subject. In the end it APPEARS that the car is fake, the documentation is fake, and the famous Navy Dept. data tag is also fake. "Oh what a web we weave......."
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Well..... the Eiffel tower has been sold - twice! and several British stately homes, no doubt fraudsters have effected similar scams in the USA as well.
Nigerian internet scams are well documented, crass greed and ignorance will always find suppliers.
Anyone who has $120000+ to spare should do their own homework, dont blame BJ who have a duty to the shareholders to return a profit.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:25 AM

Bj fake

This idiotic story doesnt end with the nut case that paid the 120K for the vehicle!! Immediately after the auction ended the blonde "bombshell" that is always sitting in the front row with her "raggedy" blue jeans on went to the buyer and bought it from him at an additional "premium" price so I am guessing with the 10% buyers premium added on to the 120K that she had to give over 132K to re-purchase it from him!!! Too bad I dont remember her name, but I'll bet somebody out here can "refresh" our memory? In the interview she said she had "made a mistake" by letting it "get away" during the bidding and not buying it then!! Boy -- how "fortunate" for the winning bidder to move it at a profit!! You will all be able to flock to her museum to view this "masterpiece" ( of deception)!

Last edited by Chesrown 67 OAI; January 31st, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: sp
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:46 AM
"me somebody" site member

What I find amazing about this story is how OBVIOUS the fakery was. The lies told by Ricky Gervais in "The Invention of Lying" were more believeable than those bogus letters between the coachbuilder and the 2-years-retired naval admiral and the repro data plate that looks just like one you can buy on EBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/US-NA...Q5fAccessories

So now the public knows the level of "proof" required to sell a piece of American history (to say nothing of the level of "documentation" that actually proves the "provenance" of most cars that pass the block) at auctions like BJ. Mecum, etc.

Kinda like the "orginal window sticker" from the Fremont-built 1967 W30 discussed here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html

Or that Doug Alsip guy and his 455, 'scuse me 425 equipped '67 "Hurst" 442 conversion, "documented" by, well, even less.

Some people seem to WANT to believe this crap.
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:01 PM

Fella's here in Tucson tell me that a gal who has been putting a collection together for the last couple of year for a museum in Colorado bought the car from the people that won the car in the auction.
Old April 10th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I think its awesome that this fraud was uncovered...esp. that incontovertible evidence was offered to nail it to the wall. Because short of that, someone will always be willing to beleive the BS. SO many of those going around this hobby. Perfect example is the 1948 Tucker convertible, a "what could have been" car that the owner/restorer would try to get others to believe was actually sanctioned by Preston Tucker himself. Its total BS, but no "smoking gun" exists (yet) to prove it.

But this kind of fraud happens EVERY DAY, only on a smaller scale (price-wise) with the cars we love. Its never quite enough to have a nice car, not when more money can be made by claiming its something it aint. And the said thing is...most people don't seem to care. Especially the guy who over-paid for some trumped up BS car who now has a choice to believe the truth or deny it (maybe even to himself) so he can pass it on to the next sucker.

Well, appears you run to judgement when you state "its total BS, but no smoking gun exists(yet) to prove it". You have skillfully undone what you hoped to rebuff. Why would you ever say "it's total BS", then go on to state there is "no smoking gun(YET) to prove it". That's worse than a double negative! It appears your trying to grandstand here for yourself, to appear to be a great authority, only to be found out, that you really don't know what your saying. Some people just like to hear themselves talk, and when their conjugative abilities don't catch up to what they are stating, they begin to rattle on. The Tucker convertible could be fraud, but it really would more appropriate to say that it is "misunderstood", without trying to tie it to some nefarious outcroppings like fraud.. No one, including yourself, knows where the "convertible part" of the car came from, whether it be pre or post Tucker factory shut down. They do know that it is the (only) 1949 intended model with styling changes like a wrap around rear glass, according to Alex Tremulus(Tucker designer) as he stated in the 1961 book,"The Inbomiable Tin Goose". Alex pulled this particular car(#1057) out of the assembly line for this very purpose, so this particular Tucker is pretty unique. That history alone by far trumps all the story about the "convertible part" and leaves this car to take on a legacy of it's own, that has Alex Tremulus's personal fingerprint on it!

Last edited by Fritz1888; April 10th, 2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: miss some points
Old April 10th, 2015, 09:25 PM

So Fritz, you log in on a dead, 4 year old thread, from nowhere it seems, to trash a member here, so one has to wonder, are you one of the people who perpetuates those frauds, and what your agenda is.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"conjugative abilities"

That was worth waiting four years for.

So, what's the second person singular informal subjunctive of to be?

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I have nothing to add to this.
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
"conjugative abilities"

That was worth waiting four years for.

So, what's the second person singular informal subjunctive of to be?

- Eric
So Eric, you're really Dave Barry, in his Mister Language Person persona?
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So Eric, you're really Dave Barry, in his Mister Language Person persona?
Well, I had to look that reference up, Joe, but, yeah, sure, I guess, though I doubt I could ever compete with the following:

A. To be grammatorically correct, a sentence must have three basic elements: (1) A SUBJECT, which is a noun that can be either a person, place or mineral; (2) A VERB, which is a word that describes an action, such as ''kung fu''; and (3) AN OBJECT, which is a noun that weighs two or more pounds. Let's see how these elements combine to form this example sentence, written by Marcel Proust:

"Being late at night, Earl failed to check his undershorts for lipstick stains, which is why he was awokened at 6:30 a.m. by Lurleen whanging him upside his head with a object."
— from here

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Administrator

"an object"
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:49 AM

Convert Tucker? Never heard of that story! That must be a good one!!I am glad they crushed that car.Carry on guys.
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I have nothing to add to this.
I am in total agreement.
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Bfg

Kennedys

I wonder if there are any trucks left that are being sold that were used in the Old man Joe Kennedys boot legging days?