General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2016, 08:51 PM

Barn Find

I missed out on this car by about 10 minutes in early December. After driving almost an hour and a half, I pulled into the seller's driveway to be informed that "I just sold it dude, sorry." Had a quick look to see what I'd missed out on. Had a nasty vinyl roof, white interior, bucket seats and a very low asking price for what was being offered. The guy figured the car was garbage and only the engine had any value.

A couple weeks later, same car is back up for sale (for quite a bit more)...I resisted the urge, and waited. Asking price came down last week, so I made contact and went up for a closer look at it. The new owner had found himself another, nicer hot rod and had to make room, but in the meantime had replaced the windshield, found some stock looking wheels (not bolt on centers unfortunately), stripped the grody vinyl roof off and did a couple other things to the car. Some pinholes in the roof unfortunately.

The engine was fully rebuilt in 1990, a B&M shift kit installed, car has front disk brakes and the interior from a '71. It was parked around 1994 or 1995 with only 5,000 miles on the rebuild and stayed in dry storage for the next 18 some odd years.

A couple hours of negotiating and we reached a price I was willing to pay for the car. Drove it home today, about a 45 minute drive mostly highway...car ran great.

I haven't decided what the future holds for it yet. I originally coveted it for parts for my '71, but this car is too good for such a fate. I may swap some parts, like the transmission, seats and such. Fenders are original and appear to be rustfree, which caught my attention early on.

The spoiler looks ok, but from what I've been able to find out is a Pontiac spoiler, correct for a Lemans. I'd rather run the proper Olds spoiler.

Anyhow...pictures...we all like pictures...1972 Cutlass S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sandy1.JPG (125.7 KB, 162 views)
sandy2.JPG (124.9 KB, 164 views)
sandy3.JPG (135.5 KB, 157 views)
sandy4.JPG (132.8 KB, 147 views)
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:56 PM

Car

Congrats on the purchase.

Talk to Devon aka Rocketdevo about a replacement door if that one is not repairable.

That picnic table spoiler on the trunk lid is for a GTO.... Just like the one on my W-31.

I've got a set of sport mirrors for it if you are in the market.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; January 24th, 2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Congrats on the purchase.

Talk to Devon aka Rocketdevo about a replacement door if that one is not repairable.

That picnic table spoiler on the trunk lid is for a GTO.... Just like the one on my W-31.
Thanks. I have a few spare doors already. None are "perfect" but most are better than that one!

There's a 442 spoiler for sale nearby, I might wind up grabbing it.
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:13 PM

Cowl tag
Attached Images
tag.JPG (112.6 KB, 36 views)
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Cowl tag decodes as a 1972 Cutlass S Hardtop Coupe built the first week of March 1972 at Fremont, California. Covert Beige upper and lower body colors. Covert Gold vinyl bench seat.

Very nice looking car.

I'm curious. How does it take "a couple of hours" to negotiate a price? Isn't it usually he says "I'm asking X." Then you say "will you take Y?" where Y < X. Then he says "how about (X+Y)/2", and you say "deal!"

The whole thing takes 30 seconds.
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:02 PM

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey ;-)

I let him talk while I was checking the car out to make sure it had what I wanted/needed, which took some time. Then we got sidetracked a wee bit admiring his new Lemans and checking out some of his other projects. Then back to the Cutlass. I was there for a couple hours all told, some good conversation. Of course the nitty gritty negotiating didn't take all that long, but talking someone down a grand takes a little bit of time.

The vinyl roof was probably aftermarket then; the chrome trim for it was one piece vice the multiple pieces like my '71. The original Covert Gold interior is long gone; the guy who stored it all those years replaced the interior with the white vinyl buckets and rear seats from a '71 Cutlass he wrecked.
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
The vinyl roof was probably aftermarket then
Not necessarily. The "upper body color" isn't specific. It could be the color of a convertible top (if the car is a convertible), vinyl top, or just a metal top.
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Congrats!
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Fyi

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Thanks. I have a few spare doors already. None are "perfect" but most are better than that one!

There's a 442 spoiler for sale nearby, I might wind up grabbing it.
The holes for the spoiler mounting are entirely different. You'll be needing a trunk lid or a welder.
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'm curious. How does it take "a couple of hours" to negotiate a price? Isn't it usually he says "I'm asking X." Then you say "will you take Y?" where Y < X. Then he says "how about (X+Y)/2", and you say "deal!"

The whole thing takes 30 seconds.
That struck me funny. This is how it works for me almost every time till my 4 speed Jetfire. That one took over a month and by the time I was at his place and picking it up we had to renegotiate and I almost left without it. That took another hour.
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:39 AM

Jaunty,
I have to disagree with the vinyl top thing. If it had a vinyl top from the factory the PNT codes would have been a number followed by a letter such as 50 C. Same thing with a convertible top.
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:23 AM

The holes for the spoiler mounting are entirely different. You'll be needing a trunk lid or a welder.
I have both ;-)

Not in any rush to decide what to do with the 72, and the correct spoiler may just go on my '71 anyhow.
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:24 AM

great score clay, your getting quite a collection. i hope you cleared out all the bugs from your shop?
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
great score clay, your getting quite a collection. i hope you cleared out all the bugs from your shop?
Thanks, Stan! You should drop by for a gander soon.

Still have the VWs...they're what's making the money that lets me pursue the Oldsmobiles! I need to move some cars around so I can get the '70 Cutlass parts car under cover this week.

How's your '65 coming along?
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:41 PM

When I got my 67 Cutlass 2 owner car my son & I went up to see it. It was about 150 miles away. On the window it was listed for $11,000!!!
In the ad it was $10,000. The ad had been copied over by the the company listing it for the owner to have A/C, 8 track, 330hp motor(???)4 bbl 75,000 miles.
Well it had 75,000 miles but no A/C or 8 track & it was a 2 bbl 330cu motor. Well I told the guy that he was lucky that I wasn't a Hells Angel cause I would have beat him in for having me travel this far for a missed listed car.
He apologized over & over to me about all his problems while my son(Used car tech for Tasca Ford) was checking the car out.
I told that I had $8000 cash on me, he said I'll take it, for the car listed, not this car.
I went back to my car & acted pissed off.
My son came back & told me the car sound & real. He asked how much I would pay. I gave him $6000
They were talking back & forth so I started my car & started to back out. He threw his hands up & said "I'll take it".
Sometimes it take awhile & some physiology & time to make a deal!
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:03 PM

I've got a set of sport mirrors for it if you are in the market.
Missed this comment before...the car came with a pair of sport mirrors with the driver's side remote.

I wound up buying that local 442 spoiler tonight for a good price. Not sure which car will be getting the goodies yet :-)
Old January 28th, 2016, 11:19 AM
delete

Congrats but I don't buy his story. I bet he's a flipper who made some modest improvements.