General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Assessing Damage for appraiser

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2022, 08:35 PM

Assessing Damage for appraiser

I’ve been having a 2nd garage built and it’s been hell at every turn.
But last week was the coup de grace.

The building had finally been completed and I was told I could use as I see fit. So I started moving cars and a large horde of parts in. Then the inspector came for a final inspection and failed it for improper underlayment on the roof. She said it all had to be torn off down to the decking.
At this point I had to leave town for work for a few days, so the company came, ripped the shingles and underlayment off and removed the ridge cap.
They then let it sit exposed for 24 hours with a huge hole running down the entire peak…and we had more than an inch of rain.

I came home to this…

The drivers window was down on the Rallye, carpet soaked, door cards buckled, headliner rippled. Parts I hadn’t put away yet we’re soaked. Radios, interior pieces, engine parts sopping wet and starting to flash rust.

SO…if your still with me, how do you put a price on this stuff?
The stuff I have to fix or now sandblast?
The stuff they don’t make any more?

Anyone ever deal with this?
An appraiser is coming and I don’t want to be caught off guard.
Thanks
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:02 PM

Insurance will never cover the value because the value is whatever someone would have paid for the pieces. I would get a Hemming's Motor News to search through for comparable pieces. Also search online for similar stuff for sale.
Old August 9th, 2022, 09:16 PM
Running On Empty

I realize your question pertains to an appraiser, but IMO the roofing company is 100% responsible for negligence (you probably know this). I would think a very detailed write-up of every single damaged item and its replacement cost is required. I would look to get ahead of the appraiser and begin estimating replacement costs for those items. Best of good fortune to you. I'd be sharing some select words with that roofing company.
Old August 10th, 2022, 02:40 AM
Lansing built

I agree with Vintage, falls back on the construction company. I would also wonder about what water damage happened to the garage itself?

Pat
Old August 10th, 2022, 03:17 AM

I agree with Norm and Pat. Your roof didn't leak due to a hurricane or tree falling, it leaked because it was removed! Bummer for sure. Get out the fans and rags do the best you can.
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:24 PM

After MUCH calling further and further up the ladder, the garage contractors have finally admitted culpability and assigned Custard Insurance Adjusters to handle the claim.
So hopefully they know a little about old cars and parts.
I've begun to make a list of the parts to fix the car...and parts that were just damaged.
Not sure how they'll figure out labor.

The Garage builder is assuming the blame of the roofer THEY hired so...let's see how that goes.
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Rallye469
After MUCH calling further and further up the ladder, the garage contractors have finally admitted culpability and assigned Custard Insurance Adjusters to handle the claim.
That's actually admirable they admitted culpability. I love a good custard, BTW. Hope this works out OK for you.
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:38 PM

Hopefully you still owe them some money!
Old January 1st, 2023, 05:25 PM

If you're planning to store your car all winter, you should jack up your car and place a jack stand under the frame, so you won't get a flat spot on your tires. It happened to me, and I had to buy 4 sets of tires. Another thing before I store my car all winter in the garage is I give my car a wash and apply wax.