General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Armrest adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2020, 05:57 PM

Armrest adjustment ?

So when I bought my 69 Cutlass it had some horrid after market buckets in it. I wanted to bring it back to stock which was a bench seat. I found one close by but it was out of a Supreme and had an armrest. I thought that would be good. Not so much, getting an interior kit for a 69 bench with

an armrest is pretty limiting. Anyway Distinctive had one. In the mean time I kind of wish I found some buckets, but I'll live with it. The armrest seems like it should go flush with the seat. Anyone know if it is suppose to be as shown or can be adjusted somehow?

thanks,
Steve
Old April 26th, 2020, 03:57 AM

Is that seat from a 70-72? That's what it looks like. Did 69's come with a seat like that? Even if they didn't it still seems to be the same body, floor,etc.... It looks like the seat in my 71. I have had those seats all apart and I don't remember there being any adjustment, but your's does look a little high though that may be from the firmer/higher cushion on the lower seat holding it up??? I really love the seating position of my 71, though I hated it until I added 2" extenders at the seat to floor bolts to move seat back. Sounds like a completely different situation at first but if you are a tall guy and you are up forward it feels (at least to me) like you aren't only too far forward but also too high. As you go back it seems you are also lower in the car. Us guys used to call center arm rests "Pimp posts" as you could ride deep with the "Pimp Lean" while cruising... ahhh the 70's.......
Old April 26th, 2020, 06:09 AM

Yes, I believe it is out of a 71-72. I had some 75 Buicks years ago and I'm sure the armrest sat flat against the seat. I'll be reupholstering it soon so I'll have it all apart and see what I can do. You can reach under a flap at the back of it but I can't feel anything that stops its range of motion.

thanks,
Steve
Old April 28th, 2020, 03:43 AM

I had the same issue with the bench seat on my '71. So far, I have not found an adjustment for it. What I wound up doing was just leaving the armrest in the up position and picked up one of these from OPGI about 6 years ago. It solved my only issues with the bench seat (cup holders, arm rest and storage) in one go.

https://www.opgi.com/interior-access...d-ch30117.html

Old April 28th, 2020, 05:50 AM

I will definitely consider that, thanks

Steve
Old April 28th, 2020, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
I will definitely consider that, thanks

Steve
By the way, it is not permanently attached either. There is a front and back strap that secure it to the seat.