General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone work in the oil indusrty?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:05 AM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Anyone work in the oil indusrty?

In my neighborhood,fracking is becoming quite a topic.
Signs everywhere either for or against the process.
From my time at unemployment,I've read that the average age for workers in this industry is 54 years.
Seems they are using the older,experienced,knowledgeable employees available,rather than cheap young labor (what a concept!)
I'm awaiting authorization to take some welding courses...both for the opportunities in the fracking field and for my hobbies...
Anyone else work in this field,and care to give me any hints on where the money is,career wise?
I scored quite high on my reading,and math tests,so I may get a chance to do some administrative positions rather than in the field sector.
Anyone else in the eastern Ohio area looking for a career,fracking may be a great opportunity.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:57 AM

You can scratch Vermont off your list as they became the first state to ban "fracking." Vermont has always been the leader in common sense, but other states are sure to follow.
Your best bet is to try and get into politics. You don't have to be particularily knowledgeable in any field, you'll be paid well more than you're worth and when you leave, you'll get a better pension than any lay person. JMHO.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM

That is Awesome Bunser.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM

If you're getting into welding, best bet is getting certified, as shouldn't be a problem working in a fab shop or on oil refinery projects. We had a Marathon refinery project going full tilt here in the southern MI area that couldn't get enough fitter/welders, and was bringing them in from other states. Kinda leveled off now, but there's talk of another wave. Wages are in the $35-40 hour range, but only when there are projects going. Mostly union pipe fitters, with the local here being 636. Know lots of guys were coming over from Toledo, so gotta be a local there too. Also, consider oil field projects in ND, as these are really going now.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM

Had a buddy go to North Dakota for work and he doubled his wages! If you don't mind the cold winters, that sounds like one of the few place to get a good paying job. John
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bunser
You can scratch Vermont off your list as they became the first state to ban "fracking." Vermont has always been the leader in common sense, but other states are sure to follow.
Your best bet is to try and get into politics. You don't have to be particularily knowledgeable in any field, you'll be paid well more than you're worth and when you leave, you'll get a better pension than any lay person. JMHO.
Well said.
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:45 AM
XCELERATIONRULES!

I'm too honest for politics...can't look another person in the eye and lie to them.
I'll take the welding so I can fabricate parts for my GM addiction.
I don't mind working hard for a decent wage,but I'm not wasting the best years of my life 12-14 hours per day for a few greenbacks.
Had enough of that from my previous 8 years of hell at the last large corporation I worked at.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:46 AM

Good luck with the welding and I'm glad to hear you have too much integrity and self respect for politics. ( I was kidding about politics...but not about a politician's qualifications. )
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Best thing you can do is go in business for yourself. You would have the best boss in the world and you won't have to depend on anyone but yourself.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:17 PM

Right now in Alberta we are bringing in foreign workers because there are not enough people to fill the jobs. One guy I know went to be a shipper receiver in Ft. McMurray and easily made over $100,000 a year. Looks like more than a few companies found that business was slowing down and sent the workers home. It's picked up again and now the call is out, again. We're on the verge of a labour shortage.
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM

100k a year sounds very interesting. How dificult is it to get into one of these jobs?
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nasty455
I'm too honest for politics...can't look another person in the eye and lie to them.
I'll take the welding so I can fabricate parts for my GM addiction.
I don't mind working hard for a decent wage,but I'm not wasting the best years of my life 12-14 hours per day for a few greenbacks.
Had enough of that from my previous 8 years of hell at the last large corporation I worked at.
No matter what you end up doing with it, welding skills are good to have. Not the greatest myself, but ok, and have a basic stick welder and small oxy/acetylene torch set. Kinda take this stuff for granted know, as dont even give fabbing up brackets, or freeing frozen parts a second thought. Had a business needing special storage racking. Had a bunch of angle iron delivered, and went at it with a Porta-Band saw and stick welder. Stuff was done in nothing flat. If I had to drill and bolt all of this, probably still be working on it.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM

Fracking is the future and the lies about it will be widespread soon. Good field to get into.