General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone use Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Anyone use Ebay?

So I'm new to ebay purchasing. 3 purchases total, ever. Made my first bid 3 days ago. Loss the bid. Came in 2nd. Seller sent email today saying the guy who bought the rear end can't get it. Fastenal doesn't transport into CA, only outbound. Sent my number in an email so we could talk. We talked 15min or so explaining things. I'm just weary. Had bad vibes about it. Did my research and he has 1,793 transactions and 100% positive feedback. He seems ok but I offered to pick it up in person and he said he doesnt care but at the same time mentioned several times how far I am from him. Anyone know him or ever purchased from him?
Ebay Contact: allolds
Erie Pennsylvania
Name: Brian
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cpriester123
So I'm new to ebay purchasing. 3 purchases total, ever. Made my first bid 3 days ago. Loss the bid. Came in 2nd. Seller sent email today saying the guy who bought the rear end can't get it. Fastenal doesn't transport into CA, only outbound. Sent my number in an email so we could talk. We talked 15min or so explaining things. I'm just weary. Had bad vibes about it. Did my research and he has 1,793 transactions and 100% positive feedback. He seems ok but I offered to pick it up in person and he said he doesnt care but at the same time mentioned several times how far I am from him. Anyone know him or ever purchased from him?
Erie Pennsylvania
I have no info on your eBay seller, but I do use eBay all the time. The secret to winning an auction is to not bid at all until it is within about 15 seconds of the end of the listing. You will win a good portion of them that way.
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

Erie Pennsylvania
Brian Trick is standup guy he is registered here. 507OLDS

Last edited by Qwik71442; December 8th, 2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Gary

I use them all the time. Both of my cars came from Ebay. I won the bid on my 72 but did not win the bid on the 68. After about a month I sent the seller an inquiry to find out if the transaction was completed by the winning bidder and he said they failed to pay. I think that does happen from time to time.

We exchanged phone #s and I ended up buying the car for what I had bid although he tried to get me to agree to the price of the winning bid. He took the amount I had bidded. When it came time to pay he wanted me to wire transfer him and I told him the only way I would pay him was thru PayPal. He did not want to do it and I told him there was no way I was wire transferring my money to him. The next day he called back and said he would accept PayPal.

So far I have had only one problem with my Ebay purchases and I got my money back.
Old December 8th, 2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Qwik71442
Brian Trick is standup guy he is registered here. 507OLDS
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm in the process now if trying to complete a transaction with him now. Decided to go with it. References are always welcomed
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I have no info on your eBay seller, but I do use eBay all the time. The secret to winning an auction is to not bid at all until it is within about 15 seconds of the end of the listing. You will win a good portion of them that way.

I bought my 68 this exact way about 10 years ago. Ebay works well.
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:31 AM

If the seller is indeed Brian Trick, I can absolutely attest to his honesty and his work. I currently have two posi rear ends that he built for me and couldn't be more satisfied with them.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by rand5204
If the seller is indeed Brian Trick, I can absolutely attest to his honesty and his work. I currently have two posi rear ends that he built for me and couldn't be more satisfied with them.
Yea it seems like everyone has nothing but good things to say about him so I'm going through with the purchase. Definitely appreciate you sharing your experience with him
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:31 AM

I hope your transaction goes well. That's cool that others can vouch for the seller. I've done a few transactions on E-bay and I am still undecided.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:45 AM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...d-w-parts.html
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Gary

Brian is a really good honest guy. I have bought several items from him on the site and never had a problem. Cant go wrong with him.
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Runner

Ebay is a great place to buy and sell stuff, but there are a couple things I would note for new users.
  • Look at that email rating. Overall, avoid buying anything expensive from people with less then 10 transactions completed (sorry new users). There are tons of scammers out there making fake accounts
  • Always have a paper trail. Pay / Buy through eBay unless you can meet in person.
  • Watch out for scam messages. I've received a couple scam messages with a link that looks like it goes to an ebay page, but its a scam to just get your ebay username and password. It uses APIs to actually make it look like you are logged in after as well. Pretty clever method.
  • Ebay now supports Max bidding so it makes waiting until the last 15 seconds less crucial. This means you can bid $5 with a max bid of $100. Ebay will auto bid the minimum amount up until your max.

Cool tool, but like everything else on the internet now, you just have to be careful.
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:55 AM

Anyone use Ebay?
No.
Old December 9th, 2016, 07:46 AM

I buy many items off of EBay and have not had a problem although I usually stick with NOS items as they are not subject to overstated condition. It is a great place to find rare items.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:21 AM

Brian's a good dude in my book.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Brian's a good dude in my book.
Heard nothing but good things. Glad to see such good reviews on someone. It's getting harder and harder to find good people in this world these days lol.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I hope your transaction goes well. That's cool that others can vouch for the seller. I've done a few transactions on E-bay and I am still undecided.
Everything seems fine so far. Seems like a real honest guy. Glad he is known for that and people can vouch for him as well. Def makes you feel better about the whole process now
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
Brian is a really good honest guy. I have bought several items from him on the site and never had a problem. Cant go wrong with him.
Thanks for responding bc it helps. Glad to hear all the good responses about him
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:32 AM

kinda off the subject but a FYI. Something I did a along time ago is set up a separate checking account at the bank for eBay. I keep less than $200 in the account, just in case someone hacks my account.