General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone ever get bored with their car?

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Anyone ever get bored with their car?

As the topic question states,anyone ever get bored with their car!

My car is a factory stock 71 cutlass S 350/350 with SSI wheels. This summer I've only had it out 4 times.On 2 joy rides and 2 car shows (won a trophy at each show).
I think I'm getting bored with it. Any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with this?
Thanks
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

take a break. All spring and summer I busted @$$ getting in my new 355 then my flex plate was bent so I took the trans out and did that then I decided to do my front suspension, and sometime in august I decided im done ! I was just burnt out from working on it. I thoroughly do enjoy wrenching all the time but enough was enough. I took a break I didn't even set foot in the garage for a month. 2 weeks ago I decided to get back at it and finish up my front end and start my trans. That brake was what I needed to light the wick back up. My trans is almost done and I still have some time to make some time runs this year. What has kept it from getting stale for me is the racing. The constant tinkering and braking of parts and the work that goes with it keeps it fresh. The last two years have been a struggle with my car as one thing brakes I fix it then something else goes out. I had a 3 solid years of racing and trouble free performance then stuff started to go out but hopefully after this winter we can get back it. My car has always stayed on the road and never been out for the season cruising wise but I love the track and if i don't make it this season then it will be 2 years of no racing ! lol
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I think I'm getting bored with it. Any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with this?
The fun is in the doing more than in the owning. Sell the car and buy a new project.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Drive it more.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM

I am kind of glad that mine is not original and stock like yours. I can keep changing things here and there to keep it interesting. Sure it costs more money, but it's a lot less than starting another one! I get bored real easy with my trucks for work over the years and just lease them for 3 years. Last 5, I have turned them in for a new one in a little over 2 years. Just can't help it! So far, I have had this car for 5 total.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:26 PM

I very much understand. I have been bored with the Rallye 350 for years. I just looked it up Friday and I have only driven it 530 miles in 7 years. Most of that was in 3 drives to Indianapolis. I would have sold it years ago but i was worried i would not find what i wanted to replace it. Now the only reason I have it is because my family don't want me to sell it. We have the 62 Jetfire and restoring the W-30. We love the jetfire and going to enjoy the W-30 when it is done. It is VERY likely I will let the Rallye 350 go after the W-30 is done. I have had the Rallye since 1990 but it is about time to cut it loose. I am not saying to sell your car but if you are bored with it, it wouldn't hurt to look at other cars and feel the market out.

Last edited by jensenracing77; October 6th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM

As with all things, the longer we have them, the more we take them for granted or get bored. I worked on my home theater for four years but just got burned out. Check it out:
http://studio407.net/email.htm (the "email" part of the address is misleading)
We use it all the time and it's cool but it has lost it's novelty.
Maybe it's time to pump up that stock motor a little. As copper was saying, satisfaction (or being done) is only half the equation. Anticipation is important as well. Maybe plan a route 66 trip for next spring? The wife and I are already planning a 66 trip and I just started my car! Lol.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:32 PM

What is this "selling of car" of which you speak?

:-)
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Talking

As the topic question states,anyone ever get bored with their car!

My car is a factory stock 71 cutlass S 350/350 with SSI wheels. This summer I've only had it out 4 times.On 2 joy rides and 2 car shows (won a trophy at each show).
Thanks
One sure fire solution is to use them...a lot
Things always go wrong with them or you discover niggly things that require an hours tinkering ( which will take 2 days by the time your happy)and in turn keep you interested.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The fun is in the doing more than in the owning. Sell the car and buy a new project.
I agree. Too often that happens to me as well.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just make it your daily driver. Screw all that "original" and "collectible" crap.

Drive it like GM meant you to, get it dirty, get bubble gum in the rug, and, though you'll lose money on the resale value, I bet you'll start to enjoy it more.

- Eric
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Just make it your daily driver. Screw all that "original" and "collectible" crap.

Drive it like GM meant you to, get it dirty, get bubble gum in the rug, and, though you'll lose money on the resale value, I bet you'll start to enjoy it more.

- Eric
Isn't this what got us into cars driving them and enjoying x2
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I very much understand. I have been bored with the Rallye 350 for years. I just looked it up Friday and I have only driven it 530 miles in 7 years. Most of that was in 3 drives to Indianapolis. I would have sold it years ago but i was worried i would not find what i wanted to replace it. Now the only reason I have it is because my family don't want me to sell it. We have the 62 Jetfire and restoring the W-30. We love the jetfire and going to enjoy the W-30 when it is done. It is VERY likely I will let the Rallye 350 go after the W-30 is done. I have had the Rallye since 1990 but it is about time to cut it loose. I am not saying to sell your car but if you are bored with it, it wouldn't hurt to look at other cars and feel the market out.
why only 530 miles ?? Didnt you put a auto in just for that reason to drive or was that some one else?
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:09 PM

X2
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Runner

- Eric
X2. Or like other said, sell it and get another new project.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:22 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions. Gives me plenty to think about.

Old October 6th, 2013, 06:27 PM

You gotta figure out what floats your boat. You wanna have a show winner or something to take out, have fun, flog and fix it and flog again. You could sell it and go along way in the other direction.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can't enjoy a show winner, and more than you can enjoy a huge diamond - It's real pretty to look at, but after staring for a while, it just gets dull.

- Eric
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Take it on a driving vacation.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:45 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Gentlemen, what is all this XX I see? For example, X1, X2, etc?
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

X3 lol. they are just agreeing with someone else's comment just multiplying the validation so to speak of what others are saying.
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:53 PM

I've had my W-30 since July, 1975 - it is my 'first car.' You had better believe that I'm bored with it. However, I still love it!

For fun I have 'something else' to drive, so that keeps me satisfied.

If I ever sold my car, the guys I went to high school with would gather up their pitchforks and torches, and hunt me down...

Last edited by spf1410; October 6th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM

I've had my stock '87 442 for 11 years now. Just tonight I was driving home down I-96 from Lansing and thinking to myself "God, I love driving this car". So, no, I've not gotten bored with it at all. I wish I could drive it more.
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM

How can anyone be bored with a W-30? Just drive it,and enjoy it.
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM

People ask me if I miss any of the cars I restored, and usually say something like "How could you sell it after you spent sooo much time on it?"

My answer has always been that the journey is more rewarding than the journey's end... I've never hesitated to move on to another project.
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM

x3
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM

Give some hotties a ride in your car, that always is a good pick-me-up.

In fact, since the day i bought my cutlass, i have a guestbook in the glovebox of all the girls that have set foot into my car. Usually they'll write a note about how awesome it is.

Another thing, go find some yuppie driving a 2013 challenger and smoke his pants off with your car. That usually keeps me until dinner time.
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Tony, that is a cool idea to keep a guest book in your glovebox. I also like the idea about spanking a yuppie driving a 2013 Challenger.
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:34 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Macadoo
As with all things, the longer we have them, the more we take them for granted or get bored. I worked on my home theater for four years but just got burned out. Check it out:
http://studio407.net/email.htm (the "email" part of the address is misleading)
We use it all the time and it's cool but it has lost it's novelty.
Maybe it's time to pump up that stock motor a little. As copper was saying, satisfaction (or being done) is only half the equation. Anticipation is important as well. Maybe plan a route 66 trip for next spring? The wife and I are already planning a 66 trip and I just started my car! Lol.
Wow , cool entertainment system !
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM

You can't enjoy a show winner, and more than you can enjoy a huge diamond - It's real pretty to look at, but after staring for a while, it just gets dull.

- Eric
I disagree, drive your show winner like you would any pleasure car. You will work overtime keeping it show ready but that's half the fun of owning a piece of history.After all not all the pleasure your car gives is for you alone. I get a kick giving pleasure to others, we are driving nostalgia machines. Our cars mean something to people who have experienced them or something like them in another time and those memories can be priceless.......Tedd
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:45 PM
NOVICE car nut

I get bored with my car , because I can't do anything with it . I have it stored in a climate controlled garage , and take it out every now and then , but it needs lots of work . I'm hoping some day I can actually do something with it .
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:34 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
People ask me if I miss any of the cars I restored, and usually say something like "How could you sell it after you spent sooo much time on it?"

My answer has always been that the journey is more rewarding than the journey's end... I've never hesitated to move on to another project.
Absolutely (or X2), for me the fun of a car show begins when I start the engine for the trip to the show, even though I'm in an H body I'm probably driving the only one most other road users have seen.

In response to the OP; if you don't enjoy driving the car maybe it is time to move on. I know this may offend or even horrify other Olds fans, or car enthusiasts of other makes, but a hobby is to be enjoyed. I do things for fun nowadays that I wouldn't have dreamt of years ago, and things I used to do for fun have no appeal anymore.
But it's your car and your life, I'm not suggesting give up the car hobby, but indulge yourself the way you most enjoy. Perhaps the challenge of a long trip in an old car, taking in the local cruise ins, trying your hand on the dragstrip, do whatever you find fun in doing.

Roger.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You will work overtime keeping it show ready but that's half the fun of owning a piece of history.
But I hate cleaning stuff.

- Eric
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:14 AM

Put it away for the winter and forget about it for awhile. Maybe by spring you will think differently! I've had my 70 since 1988 and still enjoy it and am never bored with it. But I also have other cars as well especially my SVT Mustang Cobra convertible which is a blast to drive and totally different from my 2 Olds.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:06 AM
"me somebody" site member

I think the fact that I take my Jetstar out only occasionally keeps it from ever getting boring to me. Each time is like "ahhhh, THIS is what I've been missing..."
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:45 AM
delete

I get bored with my car sometimes and have thought about selling it. My main driver in that thought is that due to space limitations & other financial obligations I am limited to one hobby car at a time so if I want something else this one would have to do. That being said, I still love my car & its a great car. Its not a #'s matching or stock anything so I am free to do with it as I wish. I also get it out of the garage in nice weather just to do my around town driving & will park it outside a supermarket or a mall.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Slap a 500HP big block in it. It will get un-boring real quick.
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:16 AM

Step back and take a break as others have said before you sell the car.
There are many in the hobby that are builders and the joy is in the build, the art/creative part that go's into a well built car.
Then there are people that simply enjoy driving the cars and have very little interest in the building aspect. Others enjoy both the build and the driving you have to decide what you like best.
I spent two years doing the car show thing I was bored out of my mind, I did it to show off my skill set. I always came home with trophies but it just was not my thing, cars are gone and so are the trophies, that was best choice for me.
Good luck in your choice, this is a very good topic.
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
why only 530 miles ?? Didnt you put a auto in just for that reason to drive or was that some one else?
That was me. After I got the automatic in I bought out the barn full of cars and never had time. The Automatic didn't help anyway. I still don't enjoy this car anymore. I just done some work to it last week and getting ready to drive it some. It gets 16 MPG and my truck is 10 so I plan to drive it a good amount till the weather turns bad just to save me a little gas. I live on rock/dirt roads so that is another reason I don't like driving them.
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions. Gives me plenty to think about.
The "slogan" under your username actually seems to be an answer to your own question. It's says you have a '71 and a '72 and now want a '68.

So sell the '71 and/or the '72 and get a '68!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever get bored with their car?