General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any Wat To Treat a 442 ?

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Any Wat To Treat a 442 ?

A few months ago I bought a 65 442. Somebody had cut out the trunk floor to install two complete propane systems right from twin tanks, feeder lines,mixers,etc. into a dual quad Offy intake. The 455 is not amused. I bought a parts car, and am in the process of starting removal of said system and convert back to gasoline. I've got a single carb aluminum manifold and am ready to have some fun. So much propane stuff you can't even see the engine !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 442.jpg (102.4 KB, 100 views)
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
delete

That I have not seen before.
Nice small booster for the master cylinder.
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by HonestDave
So much propane stuff you can't even see the engine !!
Yes, but is it fast?

- Eric
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Hey Dave! It's Ron! I should have moved on that 330 when you offered it to me. Eventually I will want to swap out the chebby 305 and put an original engine back in my flat top wagon. You had asked me about pictures of my flat top and my VC - look them up here https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...to-affair.html
and
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ue-affair.html

By the way, do you ( or anyone else for that matter) want to acquire a second project '65? My royal mist blue 2dr coupe will have to go. I'd like to get $2400.00 for it. I will even media blast the car prior to sale. You should come up to the house and have a look....
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Hi Ron, Don't know if I still have your e-mail address, but I would love to come out and see your 65 two door coupe. Does it, by chance, have BC reg? If my 80 Trans Am sells, I'll have covered parking for one more car. Also seem to have lots of extra bits, Dave.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I see nothing wrong with running propane, it maybe something we all will be looking at in the future. I would not throw that stuff away, perhaps you can convert a different project.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:12 AM

I've had vehicles on propane or natural gas before, and I've found very few shops want to work on them. The mechanics I know and trust, aren't in that few. Also, there's no room under the hood to work on anything, and the car only goes 100 kilometers (60 miles) on a fill, $60 worth of propane. Even if the car got 6 miles to the gallen on gas, it should go just as far on half a tank. I don't think the 373 gears could be that much of an issue.
My thought is this: Try and get $150 for the propane system right from tanks to base plates and linkage and another $250 for the dual quad offy (if I'm lucky) and be gratefull.
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM

I am suprised you get sure poor fuel mileage. Natural gas is definately a fuel we should all be considering. Largest deoposit on earth are in north america. If you get a gas line leak from a pipeline NO ground damage. It floats. Very clean fuel. A buddy owned/drove a taxi on CNG. Got OVER 800,000 Miles on the engine. Not a mis print "800,000" on a Caprice
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Another consideration is closeness to factory. While I'm far from a perfectionist, I really like my cars to be at least in the spirit of the way they were built. My 442 is nowhere near that state, but I have most of the parts I need to resurrect it. I don't ever want a special car of mine to be on propane or natural gas. If it's not special, then who cares, but a 65 442 is getting close to being special (in my opinion).