The Flat top wagon rescue affair

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

The Flat top wagon rescue affair

This was originally posted in my 25 dollar VC resto affair:

We drove from home to Wenatchee Washington and back yesterday. Round trip is about 8 hrs. On our way through Stevens Pass it was looking a little scary on the return side - one lane had 4 inches of snow on it and the other was slushy. I was hoping by the time we were heading back it would be cleaned up. Luckily for us it was. With truck, trailer and wagon weighing in at around 9000 lbs I was a little nervous about being able to stop the freight train in the twisties.

On the way, we had a ramp come loose, slide out and catch on the only narrow tunnel on the road. Fortunately it was just a loud bang with a piece flying off and the ramp being bent into a smile. Naturally being down one functional ramp made it interesting to load the wagon. Of course I forgot my tie down straps. We scrambled and bought some locally and finally we got underway.

When we came back through the pass it was clear (see pics) and the rest was smooth sailing. Mostly. Our plan was to overnight in Marysville and cross the border with the car at 08:00 in the morning. We got up early and went for a quick bite. We decided to clean out the wagon quickly before heading up. Marysville is about an hour from the border so we wouldn't be stopping again. We get to US Customs at about 09:00 only to find out we can't export the car - Its a national holiday! I didn't think of that. Trying to figure out what to do we realise we can't find the keys to the wagon - I may have tossed them in the trash in Marysville. We left the car on the trailer at a P.O. station and drove an hour back praying that the keys were in the trash. They were. Our daughter was running the shop for us today but we expected to be there by noon.

In essence we stayed in Marysville again tonight and we we bring everything home tomorrow.

What we Oldsmopeople won't do huh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000460.jpg (94.0 KB, 77 views)
P1000461.jpg (98.3 KB, 79 views)
P1000462.jpg (83.8 KB, 75 views)
P1000463.jpg (92.3 KB, 81 views)
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
This was originally posted in my 25 dollar VC resto affair:

Yeah it was, I was getting Déjà vu all over again.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/major-builds-projects/44379-25-dollar-vista-cruiser-resto-affair.html#post373864
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM

Safe at home - needing garage space

The first post above was made on the drive with the car. It's been home almost two weeks and I have done nothing to it except a little tidy up on the inside. The car had a little water on the floor and the carpets are damp in the back however the floors seem to be rock solid. I need to get it inside but my VC and my coupe are sucking up all of the garage space.
I am the fourth owner. The last guy used it as his daily for 8 years. This car out of the 4 '65s will likely just be driven as is. It will see bare metal stripping and a repaint of Mojave Mist. The seats are rough so perhaps going back to Fawn covers and new foam.The headliner is perfect

When I saw the ad I Figured that this would be a perfect parts car. Not so. This one will be built as a driver. For now it has a chev 305 in it but at least it in running order.More to come.

Ron
Attached Images
P1000472.jpg (50.5 KB, 67 views)
P1000475.jpg (52.8 KB, 69 views)
P1000476.jpg (64.3 KB, 73 views)
P1000480.jpg (60.4 KB, 73 views)
P1000487.jpg (74.8 KB, 65 views)
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM

Nice solid car. I'd drive the heck out of it. Good luck with it...Don't see many of those around.

Matt
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Very cool ride!! You will be the only one around here with a flat top of that vintage.
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM

When I saw the back - deja vu - '65 Chevelle 2dr Wagon and all the fun!!
Even installed a Olds power tailgate!
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:13 PM

front seat \ rear seat cover

A few more pics. The rear seat is decent but the vinyl is old and will likely split to shreds if used much. Can anyone tell me if front bench replacement vinyl will fit my rear seat? Its the single fold type.

Look at that headliner....
Plus the only rusty spot on the car.
Attached Images
P1000478.jpg (44.0 KB, 42 views)
P1000484.jpg (62.1 KB, 49 views)
P1000485.jpg (45.0 KB, 48 views)
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Registered Luser

Seat belts!!! Nice...
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Can anyone tell me if front bench replacement vinyl will fit my rear seat?
The front wont work without heavy modifications, but you can use a rear seat kit from a coupe or sedan with minor modifications. I used a rear seat kit for a 70 something Cutlass, I was able to install the back myself, I had an upholstery dude modify the base skirt to work. My rear seat is a 64 sport coupe base and the original back, its not perfect but then neither is my car.
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM

That looks great - I'll try that.
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM

nice

Good score on the 66 Flat Top. Glad you made it home safe with the new member of the Family.

A nice set of SS1 rims will really set that car off.

Enjoy your new toy.

dave
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM

Smile

This car wil see a set of Torq thrust Ds and redlines. Aside from the seats, the interior is very clean so I don't want to mess with it by changing colour. At least not yet....
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM

rims & tires

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
This car wil see a set of Torq thrust Ds and redlines. Aside from the seats, the interior is very clean so I don't want to mess with it by changing colour. At least not yet....
Torque Thrust Ds are an excellent choice on the 64-67 bodys style & the red lines offer a touch of class & nostalga. Good Choices!
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM

It's really tough - the flat top is the cleanest by far out of my stable (except my Jaguar) but I have decided she has to wait until the VC is finished.

But it would take so little effort.....No, stay focussed....
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Nice post. I'm in a similar situation as I have two 65 F-85 4-speed wagons. I mainly bought the second car for parts but it's in such good shape that I can't tear it up and I actually use it as my daily driver. The other car which was bought new by my father will be going in the garage soon for restoration. I'll keep you in mind if I come across more spare parts & please feel free to contact me if you'd like.

This looks like a Fremont CA built car?

Last edited by RickSE; March 30th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:12 AM

Hi Rick,

It's tough to pick the right car. My VC will be built as a surfmobile - maybe even get a nice longboard from SoCal to set off at shows. That car was built in Lansing but the flat top is definitely a Fremont car. This one will get fresh paint and interior, poverty caps , possibly torq thrusts and thats it. This one will be driven.
I need a few interior bits including rear deck floor panels but keep your eye out for a factory roof rack......

Ron
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Yes, the roof racks are very hard to come by; I've never seen one for sale. We used to have a yard here in AZ with quite a few 65 wagons but they sold out the land to developers several years ago and scrapped almost all their stuff.

Is your f-85 a f-85 deluxe? For some reason my Lansing f-85 deluxe has one additional piece of trim on the bottom of the tailgate that the Fremont deluxe does not have. If so yours is also missing the trim piece.

Last edited by RickSE; April 4th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Both cars are extra trim delete. I guess they aren't deluxe models. The VC is a Lansing car and the flat top is a Fremont car. The VC is a rather basic car - no belt line trim, short hood spear - nothing fancy inside or out. Your 4 speed wagons must be a blast.
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM

interesting find

I had a little time this evening so I decided to check out what was under the carpet of the wagon. Not only did I find no rust but a testament to the originality of this car. I found the factory tag for the carpet manufacturer listing colour, part number etc.
Not a huge deal to some but I love this stuff.
Attached Images
P1000739.jpg (74.9 KB, 21 views)
P1000740.jpg (83.5 KB, 19 views)
P1000742.jpg (73.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Napoleon Solo; July 9th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.