General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any value bump from Vaughn's "bumps"?...

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Any value bump from Vaughn's "bumps"?...

Saw this entry in Barrett-Jackson's Palm Beach 2012 auction:

Barrett-Jackson Lot: 646 - 1979 OLDSMOBILE 442 HURST COUPE

Lot Number: 646

Auction: PALM BEACH 2012 Status: AVAILABLE Sale Type: NO RESERVE Price:
Year: 1979 Make: OLDSMOBILE Model: 442 Style: HURST COUPE VIN: 3K47R9M579931 Exterior Color: BLACK/GOLD Interior Color: BLACK Cylinders: 8 Engine Size: 350 Transmission: AUTOMATIC

Summary:
This car has been in the Vaughn Family since day one, first used by Linda as a daily driver. Linda's passion for these vehicles goes without saying, she wants this car to be enjoyed and appreciated by the next owner.

Details:
The Hurst Olds was created in 1968 by Jack "Doc" Watson and the Hurst Shifter Corporation. Hurst Shifters have been installed by every major auto manufacturer since the mid Sixties and known as the best shifter in the business. They dominated racing for over 50 years, as well as being known as indestructible. Miss Linda Vaughn is not known just as Miss Hurst Golden Shifter since 1966, but is considered the first lady of motor sports from her roots beginning in drag racing, as well as Indy Car Racing evolving all the way through NASCAR as well. Linda's support of all forms of racing goes way past the many years as a spokesperson, but an advocate of safer racing to protect the drivers. This 1979 Hurst Olds is one of the last Hurst Vehicles that was presented to Linda Vaughn for her dedication to the Hurst Shifter name. This car has been in the Vaughn Family since day one, first used by Linda as a daily driver. Linda's passion for these vehicles goes without saying she wants this car to be enjoyed and appreciated by the next owner.

No offense, but this isn't the most valuable of cars, regardless of ownership. Which made me wonder: While I don't see it, is there a group out there that values Ms. Vaughn's ownership enough to cause a significant bump in value, or is this just another used car worth a tad more because of its story? It's the only '79 Hurst Olds coupe I can find on record, so I can't compare this with a non-Vaughn car, but I'd be interested in your input...

AWD

[And why are my initials now a link to a Dodge ad? Is my mom getting some kind of kick-back for having named me thusly? Either way, I can think of a gazillion other "AWD"s I'd like to be associated with instead of this crap-box. Damn interweb...]

Last edited by auto_editor; March 25th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM

probably worth a small amount more but the drunks trying to impress the blonde they rented for the weekend will probably run it up past any realistic value.

as for the initials, mine are SOS and so far no one saved at sea has bothered to send me a check in thanks for their rescue. but at least mine dont direct you to a used K car!
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM
"me somebody" site member

What better hook to sell or promote a "collector car" that aint all that special on its own merits than a celebrity owned or rode or even farted in it.

Guy who buys it can make up a big sign touting Linda's ownership and everything. Aint that what its all about?
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM
"me somebody" site member

Hmmm...
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM

They really trumped-up the fact that she was having to sell the car to cover her substantial medical expenses she incurred after her illness the end of last year so that may have contributed to the record-setting price of $41k. I think I read Craig Jackson bought it(??).
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:58 PM
1970 442

Umm..it's a televised auto auction, so look for shill bidding. Car already sold once before. The owner (probably along with Craig Jackson) most likely struck a deal with Linda to promote the car as her own car again, drudge up some extra cash, and split the profits.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=221&pop=0

These guys (Craig Jackson, Dana Mecum) are just used car salesman, nothing more.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by auto_editor
No offense, but this isn't the most valuable of cars, regardless of ownership. Which made me wonder: While I don't see it, is there a group out there that values Ms. Vaughn's ownership enough to cause a significant bump in value, or is this just another used car worth a tad more because of its story? It's the only '79 Hurst Olds coupe I can find on record, so I can't compare this with a non-Vaughn car, but I'd be interested in your input...
Bubba Watson (who?) is selling his house:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/pg...lake-home.html

"Taylor says the home has yet to receive a traditional offer, though a few people have offered to do property trades, something Taylor says is of no interest to his client. He suspects that both the coming selling season and Watson’s blossoming celebrity status will help deliver prospective buyers by the summer.
“Anybody that has been looking at properties like this that has disposable income is going to want to be able to say that they bought a house from Bubba Watson. It’s something a lot of people here put weight on,” asserts the real estate broker."

Lots of people want something that used to be owned by a celebrity. Linda has a huge following in racing.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM

linda used to own it.she sold that car last year and it sold for somewhere in the mid 20's. she was only there to promote the sale of the car this time around and from what i understand she got a percentage of the sale for promoting the sale.