General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any Quadrajet pros out there?

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Any Quadrajet pros out there?

Well, I got the carb back together and it just doesn't seem to work right. Something is a little "hinky" and I can't put my finger on it. I haven't got it back on the car yet and I can't for the life of me recall what happened or was suppose to happen when I manually worked the throttle linkage. The primary and secondary plates open like they are suppose to, but the choke doesn't appear to be working correctly and when opened to full throttle the secondary flaps (ontop of the carb (can't recall the correct term at the moment) don't open at all and I can't remember if they did before I took it apart. Hmmmmm.....? Any feedback you guys/girls can give would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'll have to adjust the choke once I get it all back on the car. If it runs right or will run at all!
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Past Administrator

The secondary air valves don't open manually without the engine running. But I think there is an air valve lockout mechanism too that prevents them from opening when the choke is still engaged. You should be able to get them to move manually but it takes two hands and the carb has to be setting high off the table top so the throttle plates can move, plus the choke has to be fully dis-engaged. Then when you pull the throttle all the way open you can manually open the air valves with your second (or third) hand....
Does that make sense?
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Yeah, there's a little tang that holds them closed until the choke plate opens past a certain point and trips that little tang doo-hickey. I'm pretty sure I got it all back together correctly (no spare parts), it's just been several years since I've torn into one.
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM

You're going to have to get it on the car to check for proper operation. The rear air valves are closed until the choke opens.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM

I find the service manual to be a very good source of information.
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by woodie582
I find the service manual to be a very good source of information.
Touche Woodie! You are correct, sir. A service manual would be like gold for me right now. That's my next purchase before I decide anything else needs done that requires mechanical! LOL!
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Yep nuke, nothing better than that good book. When I was diagnosing my choke set up to see and read exactly how things function and the sequence that they operate in removes a lot of doubt.