General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Another Toyota Accelerates and Crashes!

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
CHP, actually. I was under the impression that the CHP had a very rigorous driver training program. What part of shift into neutral and kill the engine were not clear???
My thoughts exactly. I didn't look the story up but just was remembering the circumstances and I thought it was a CHP officer. What part of that was just plain ignorance? If a car is running away and you got time to call somebody,that's just plain inexcusable. Like you said,push the pig into neutral and let it blow.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:06 AM

Because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone Tire debacle, were now have tire pressure senors in our cars, letting us know that we are too lazy to check our tire pressure on our own. It supposedly adds $300 to the price of a new car, and of course it is another maintenance cost added to the ownership of our cars.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Stupidity and lazyness truly has been a down fall for cars. Now we have lane assist , self parking cars, just to name a few. Just more things to go wrong and fail when people depend on them Its a scary thought . The art of driving is dying little by little. The more people depend on these systems the more failure accidents are prone to happen because people forget how to actually drive.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 10th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Like you said,push the pig into neutral and let it blow.
EFI cars have a fuel shut off rev limiter, so it won't even blow...
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
The driver was a law enforcement officer and when it supposedly did this,they had time to call somebody and tell them what was happening.
I recall that the officer was a rear seat passenger, not the driver.

But yes, when you can call 911 and talk while the car accelerates for a mile or more, someone wasn't thinking very clearly.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I recall that the officer was a rear seat passenger, not the driver.

But yes, when you can call 911 and talk while the car accelerates for a mile or more, someone wasn't thinking very clearly.
You recall incorrectly. Officer Mark Saylor was the driver. His brother in law was the back seat passenger who made the phone call.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Koda

I really think social media has made everyone think they are instant experts on everything and made the country a virtual group. You know what they say about the stupidity of people in large groups.
Funny, by reading this, seems like a backhand at me.....when I mention you might be a bit biased, you get bent. If you go back to my first initial question, it was just that! I don't know you personally, but I wouldn't question how you do your job. I never once inferred you could be bought. In a court of law, you may not be the defenses best witness here. If you can't see that.....

By the way, Toyota NOT CLEARED IN ALL CASES.....here is a more recent case....not from 4 yrs ago...http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct...rdict-20131024
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM

Sorry for your loss

Lucky for me my car did not have more than a floor mat problem and I knew how to stop a car in such a situation. If all else fails shut it off. A lot of people don't know that and first and foremost the loss of a woman or child is the worst thing that can happen, which I have experienced first hand. Don't know what REALY happened on this but I only know it is tragic.
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Lucky for me my car did not have more than a floor mat problem and I knew how to stop a car in such a situation. If all else fails shut it off. A lot of people don't know that .
I wish everyone knew how to shut their car off or shift into N should a runaway occur.
The majority of drivers barely know how to start it and drive it, let alone tackle an emergency, something they would never expect to happen. During SUA, I see panic setting in fast with most people, brakes being pumped which deplete vacuum reserve, high RPMs keeping vacuum supply low, by then they are going faster than their brain can handle, then any wrong action or nowhere to go can result in a nasty crash. If they reach for the phone, the crash will happen then.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Registered Luser

There were also notes written by employees and engineers at Toyota that were sealed and recently became public. When translated from Japanese to English, statements during testing that they knew there was an issue with UA. NASA was not aware of this during there investigation. Of course, Toyota claims there was a lot lost in the translation.....these lawsuits are still ongoing. Of course, I read this info on the Internet.
http://www.sddt.com/Commentary/artic...de=20130325tbc

http://www.sddt.com/Commentary/artic...leration+death

Last edited by ent72olds; March 10th, 2014 at 08:22 PM.