General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Amazon gift card options?! Why?!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2018 | 09:12 AM

Amazon gift card options?! Why?!!!

Why do I occasionally get offers to spin for rewards or offers for amazon gift cards when logging on here, and occasionally other forums? How do I stop them? Pretty annoying
Old September 4th, 2018 | 09:21 AM
Administrator

Stay off the Amazon site... There are places on every web site that is dedicated to advertisements based on your viewing habits. You can use an adblocker and minimize the popup ads. Even if you have limited the adchoices by opting out of some advertiser, generic ads will show up. That's how sites like ours remain free.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 11:51 AM
Jeff

Those are NOT ads. Those are scam popups that have infected your browser. Clear cookies and history in your browser (or in Settings on your smartphone), close the browser, power off, restart. This process clears that sucker out *most* of the time.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 12:01 PM
same but different

I read of this complaint a number of times this year on other forum sites I frequent. Some users are unable to use the desired site(s) with browser lock up or having to close and reopen a browser multiple times. Other users like my self are having zero issues.
The usual suggestions are:
Empty cookies
Clear browsing history
Change browser all together.
Get Adblock
Update your anti virus program.....
I can't say for sure as I have yet to experience this. Its obvious, a lot of folks are having a tough time with it and its random as all get out.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 12:07 PM

Download 'AdBlock Plus', it will keep those annoying ads from popping up wherever you browse. You won't have to clear anything out of your browser or cache or history. (Anti Virus does not block ads.)

Last edited by RandyS; September 4th, 2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 01:03 PM

Do you use Chrome? It seems to not suffer from the problems that Internet Explorer does.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 01:45 PM

IMO, NO ONE should be using IE anymore. Chrome, Firefox, Safari all free, all much better browsers.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 02:00 PM

Instead of Adblocker, I've been using Ublock Origin from Google. It's supposed to be better. I've been using it with Firefox for several weeks now, and I'm so far quite satisfied.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

Since it's provided by google, that could explain why Chrome doesn't have as many problems. It may be built into Chrome.

As far as unwanted popups and so forth, antivirus software might not help as those aren't viruses in the technical sense. Download, install, and run the antimalware program Malwarebytes. It's free, and it's very good at cleaning out things like this. I use it regularly. There is a paid version, but the free version is quite adequate.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Internet Explorer is no longer current, and anyone using it should stop. Microsoft replaced it with Edge. I wouldn't use Edge (but my wife uses it all the time at her job with no problems), either, but if you are using it, at least you're using the latest browser from Microsoft.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 03:09 PM
Administrator

In addition to Malwarebytes, I use CCleaner. Again the free version is very good. If you have not cleaned your pc in a while it will take a while. If your unsure of what your doing, make a list of Passwords you use.
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download
Old September 4th, 2018 | 05:25 PM

Thanks, I use my phone for my Olds forum fix. A utility pole behind our house was hit by lightning last year, it smoked the home computer (that was older than dirt anyway) my sons Xbox, my CB base radio, well pump, and one of our TVs. Of course, it couldn’t have been the old 📺, nope, had to be the 6 month old one!!! And, all this was just about $100 short of meeting the detuctable for insurance. We haven’t gotten around to getting a new home computer. When we did have a functional pc I don’t recall getting those stupid scams.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 06:40 PM
Administrator

When I'm on my phone I use the full site option.