General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Alternative gas tank for a 1965 Cutlass - answered

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2014, 06:54 AM

Alternative gas tank for a 1965 Cutlass - answered

Hi Folks -

A while back I posted a question asking if a fuel tank with filler neck is available for a '65 Cutlass. The unanimous answer was no. I tried my hardest to convince my father to remove and reinstall the neck from his old tank but he refused. So the search was on to find a suitable replacement. I figured I'd post the answer back here so future needs could be answered.

It turns out the Cutlass uses a GM37A tank which has the same dimensions as a GM37B tank. The only difference between the two is the GM37B comes with the filler meant for a '64 - '65 Chevelle. The neck on the GM37B comes straight out of the tank and has no bends, it is also about 1.5" shorter than the Cutlass neck. As you can see in the pictures below the Cutlass neck has a turn down bend that makes it horizontal. The change makes it difficult to fill up the tank with a gas can but a regular pump nozzle fits fine without any issues.

The only other differences between the two tanks are 2 indents that are unseen while installed; the Chevelle tank has an indent on the rear driver's side facing the bumper and the Cutlass tank has an indent on the rear driver's side facing the side of the car. These do not cause any problems.

Here are some pictures for reference:

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

by sicklyscott, on Flickr