General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Alliance Olds meet Sunday 8/22

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 67442nut
Remember, I'm from West Virginia.
We only recently started having sunlight piped in here.
Until I acquired Internet access, I thought I was the only person alive
who was still interested in Oldsmobiles and not Chevy or Ford!
In fact, I remember the Northern Ohio Chapter having a membership drive at Alliance one year.
I asked about joining and was told I had to be from Ohio.
No problem Ed. The internet has "shrunk" the world and made it easier for anyone to get involved, no matter where you live. No offense to anybody in the NOC, but whoever told you that you had to be an Ohio resident was just plain stupid. Unless that is some incredibly insane chapter rule, there is no reason you can't join any chapter. I'd certainly re-inquire.
I'm sure you're not alone there in WV.
FWIW, my 4-spd '66 442 Sports Coupe was sold new in Sutton, WV. So I *know* there were some cool cars sold there!
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM

Remember, I'm from West Virginia.
The straightest line between where I live and the nearest point in West Virginia is only about 25 miles. I even occasionally set foot there!

Actually, it's quite a nice place. My '73 Custom Cruiser was born and raised in Charleston, and I'm planning to take it back down there for the Charleston Rod Run and Doo Wop in October.

http://www.charlestonwvcarshow.com/
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM

I was a member of the Oldsmobile Performance Chapter in 1984 (member 0551). Now I am a member of the Oldsmobile Performance Club. I remember Owen Greismer (SP) and Bob Gerometta to name a few.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Matthew Reader

The show was AWESOME! Met some great people, and bought some great stuff for my Custom Cruiser wagon. Request to be my friend on facebook if you want to see my photos...
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The straightest line between where I live and the nearest point in West Virginia is only about 25 miles. I even occasionally set foot there!

Actually, it's quite a nice place. My '73 Custom Cruiser was born and raised in Charleston, and I'm planning to take it back down there for the Charleston Rod Run and Doo Wop in October.

http://www.charlestonwvcarshow.com/
All kidding aside, as a river city, Charleston has turned out to be a really nice venue for car shows.
For the second time in 5 years, the National Pontiac meet was held in Charleston this year.
It was located along the river downtown at the same location the Doo Wop show is held.
The Doo Wop show has grown to around a thousand cars.

Here's a link to a Photobcket slide show of the pics I took at the Pontiac meet: http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...view=slideshow
Some of the Pontiac people we spoke with said it was one of there favorite venues.

It would be a nice location the OCA might consider for one of the future OCA Nationals.

A lot of nice cars at Alliance again this year. Didn't have the numbers we've been used to seeing in the past.
Although it turned out to be a really nice day, I think the on-and-off threat of rain kept a lot of participants at home.
Still well worth the trip.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:57 AM

It would be a nice location the OCA might consider for one of the future OCA Nationals.
Yes, but as you pointed out, there is no OCA chapter in West Virginia, and the OCA needs a local chapter to do the actual hosting of the event.

I always thought a West Virginia chapter could be viable. It's not that large a state, and I would think there would be enough Olds fans there to sustain a club. I'm sure you wouldn't get much regular participation from people in, say Beckley if the monthly meetings were held in Wheeling, or vice-versa. But a city like Charleston, centrally located, and also the largest (I think) could draw from all around the state, as well as nearby eastern Kentucky and southern Ohio. I certainly think people from all over the state would come to an annual chapter car show. I would. For me, a drive to Columbus for the annual Mid-Ohio show is about 80 miles. It's 90 to Charleston, so it's pretty much the same drive. But it takes local people to get it off the ground.