General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

All electric by 2030

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2021, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Yes they do. They also pay premium prices to get the GOOD American coal, while US electric utilities basically get stuck with tailings and other low-grade coals. In return, that requires ever more expensive emissions control devices. A big coal-fired powerplant designed to use high grade Eastern bituminous coal is often forced to use more volatile (read explosive hazard) lower-BTU coal to stay online. It will burn 20-30% more fuel to produce the same power output along with increased furnace fouling and equipment maintenance issues.

Sounds like corn likker gasoline, don't it?😀

But just because I was there doesn't mean I know anything.😼

Get the US electric grids where they're able to handle charging these EVs along with keeping the rest of modern life going, then we'll have a viable plan. Pie in the sky and wishing it were so ain't gonna get us there.
Agreed and right now, coal plants in the US are struggling to get coal period. The plants I manager burn PRB coal and since the mines and railroad have laid off so many people and taken so many train strings out of service, they are struggling to meet contracts. Additionally, we are actually burning more coal now than we have in the past 10 years. Our two largest plant have been operating at a capacity factor above 90% this whole year. Without fossil fuels, the midwest would have been in terrible shape during the February 2021 cold event. There was also an event just yesterday where the wind died off very suddenly sending real-time energy prices all the way up to $1500/MW from $50/MW!
Old November 12th, 2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
I am sure the guys with horses. Said the same thing.
I love when somebody brings this up as an argument. In a free market, the best mousetrap wins. Period. When cars came along, it was completely obvious to anyone with a pulse that they were a better 'product' than a horse and they very quickly converted the global landscape (ignore 3rd world and communist countries due to geopolitical reasons).
EV's were done in by internal combustion 100 years ago and they've been with us now in their current 'new and improved' configuration for close to 10 years (Volt, Leaf, etc.). They continue to struggle to gain market share against internal combustion for all the reasons already stated. They simply are not a better alternative and the only reason they've captured the market share they currently have is due to government 'help' (incentives). Without that, forget it.
I agree that all indications are they are here to stay due to the current social/political climate that is really forcing them on an uninspired public. Once they actually become a better alternative to internal combustion, people will buy them - without having their arms twisted.
As soon as government gets involved to decide a winner and loser in the market, the issue, unfortunately, becomes political and not simply technical. From a technical perspective, this argument has already been decided.
Old November 12th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Running On Empty

The issue, IMO, resides with our inability to capture and harvest the most widely produced energy source on our tiny little pip squeak planet - the Sun. Instead, we employ outdated technology to capture and harvest an energy source produced nearly 65 - 250 million years ago. Makes absolutely no sense to me and it has never made any sense to me. The thermal efficiency of the internal combustion engine is absolutely pathetic - within a very narrow range of ~19% - 23%. Wow, what a great deal.
Old November 12th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Will22
The plants I manager burn PRB coal
Hopefully no Powder River area folks on here, but that is thoroughly nasty stuff. Might as well try to burn dirt. Explosive dirt. Then you have to clean the sticky mess off boiler tubes because it doesn't burn well in a furnace not engineered for it. Which BTW creates even more emissions, ergo more regulations.
Old November 12th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Will22
There was also an event just yesterday where the wind died off very suddenly sending real-time energy prices all the way up to $1500/MW from $50/MW!
The kind of things those preaching the gospel of EV either don't know or purposely omit.🙄
Old November 12th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Bfg

If we have patience we might see what the aliens from outer space are using for a fuel source to maneuver their spaceships
Old November 12th, 2021, 12:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Or go back to Hanna-Barbera and find out exactly what made the Jetsons cars make that noise!

Or even further back, to how Fred Flintstone powered his car... boy I bet that thing was rough on the toes! But perfectly environmentally friendly!

I mean, the folks in Bedrock couldn't exactly burn dino fuel, since the dinosaurs hadn't died off yet...
Old November 12th, 2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The issue, IMO, resides with our inability to capture and harvest the most widely produced energy source on our tiny little pip squeak planet - the Sun. Instead, we employ outdated technology to capture and harvest an energy source produced nearly 65 - 250 million years ago. Makes absolutely no sense to me and it has never made any sense to me. The thermal efficiency of the internal combustion engine is absolutely pathetic - within a very narrow range of ~19% - 23%. Wow, what a great deal.
capture and harvest is only half of the battle. The"beauty" of fossil fuels is they are their own storage unit and their high concentration of energy is something battery power simply cannot compete with no matter how efficient batteries become.
Old November 12th, 2021, 06:33 PM

Well someone cut me out of the loop. I am not longer getting Email notices on replies.

I love my custom 87 Cutlass. Anyone can look at all the custom work. That I have done over the years on my profile .I am a Oldsmobile man!

But I see the writing on the wall. Three years ago. Traveling from south Texas to Utah, I maybe see one Tesla on the road. Today just running some errands around town. Seem 17 in the little town of St George.

Tesla have something like a 6 mouth waiting list. Gigafactory in Austin, will be pumping out model Y like crazy when completed. Hopefully my Cybertruck.

With a few exceptions. Everyone who owns one.. Love it. That include most who test drive, It was impressive to drive. Even the only person I am jealous of. And a true car guy Jay Leno, knows the handwriting is on the wall. Lucky SOB

COST OF CHARGEING The Tesla Model X costs about $15.29 to fully charge, which comes out to about 4.5 cents per mile. It will cost around $7.65 to charge a Tesla Model 3. Depending on the variant, this is between 3 and 4 cents per mile. If you own a Tesla Model S, you can expect to pay about 3.7 per mile.It can take anywhere from an ½hour to 12 hours to charge your Tesla. Your Tesla charge time is dependent on how full your car’s battery is and the type of charging station that you use. In the tables below, we'll assume the worst case scenario: you have a completely depleted battery and the car model with the largest battery.

Charge time for a Tesla Model S

Charger level Time to charge NEMA 5-15 3 miles of range per hour NEMA 14-50 17 to 18 hours Wall connector 9 hours Supercharger 30 minutes

Charge time for a Tesla Model X

Charger level Time to charge NEMA 5-15 3 miles of range per hour NEMA 14-50 18 hours Wall connector 8 to 8 ½ hours Supercharger 25 to 30 minutes

Charge time for a Tesla Model 3

Charger level Time to charge NEMA 5-15 3 miles of range per hour NEMA 14-50 8 to 12 hours Wall connector 7 to 8 hours Supercharger 25 to 30 minutes

Charge time for a Tesla Model Y

Charger level Time to charge NEMA 5-15 3 miles of range per hour NEMA 14-50 11 to 12 hours Wall connector 7 to 8 hours Supercharger 25 minutes

Going from Supercharger to Supercharger. Which the car tell you, how far and were to charge. Traveling 300 mile or so. At 65 mph. Is about 4½. I can stop at a super charger, take a bathroom break and get a meal. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. At a cost of $15.29 to fullycharge the Tesla. Gas would cost about $70. Approximately.
Old November 12th, 2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
I love when somebody brings this up as an argument. In a free market, the best mousetrap wins. Period. When cars came along, it was completely obvious to anyone with a pulse that they were a better 'product' than a horse and they very quickly converted the global landscape (ignore 3rd world and communist countries due to geopolitical reasons).
EV's were done in by internal combustion 100 years ago and they've been with us now in their current 'new and improved' configuration for close to 10 years (Volt, Leaf, etc.). They continue to struggle to gain market share against internal combustion for all the reasons already stated. They simply are not a better alternative and the only reason they've captured the market share they currently have is due to government 'help' (incentives). Without that, forget it.
I agree that all indications are they are here to stay due to the current social/political climate that is really forcing them on an uninspired public. Once they actually become a better alternative to internal combustion, people will buy them - without having their arms twisted.
As soon as government gets involved to decide a winner and loser in the market, the issue, unfortunately, becomes political and not simply technical. From a technical perspective, this argument has already been decided.
Pretty much this. The leftists pushing electric are like people in church trying to pawn you off on the ugly chicks in the congregation. Stuff that is good doesn't need advertising, and the people who are doing the pushing aren't even qualified. This is why activists are typically stupid; they're all passion and feeling, and no intelligence, training, or hard data.
Old November 12th, 2021, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Pretty much this. The leftists pushing electric are like people in church trying to pawn you off on the ugly chicks in the congregation. Stuff that is good doesn't need advertising, and the people who are doing the pushing aren't even qualified. This is why activists are typically stupid; they're all passion and feeling, and no intelligence, training, or hard data.
We can always trust that you would put some bullshit political ****. Into a discussion.
Old November 12th, 2021, 08:39 PM

Since I surmise your fanboyish fast post was a response to me, note the previous and following.

……..…../´¯/)………… (\¯`\
…………/….//……….. …\\….\
………../….//………… ….\\….\
…../´¯/…./´¯\………../¯ `\….\¯`\
.././…/…./…./.|_……_| .\….\….\…\.\
.. (.(….(….(…./.)..)..(..(. \….)….)….)… )
.\…………….\/…/….\. ..\/……………./
..\…………….. /……..\……………..…/
….\…………..(…………)……………./
Old November 12th, 2021, 08:46 PM

You are anus! You are watching for all the Moderators to be off line. You are a sad little man!
Old November 12th, 2021, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Thread is closed, thank Koda.