General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Alaska bound!

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Alaska bound!

Well, after months of planning and a couple years of saving, my wife and I are finally going! We fly out tomorrow morning and touch down in Fairbanks tomorrow night. From there we work our way South for 7 days of land excursions including a viewing of the Aurora Borialis Friday night. We'll end up in Anchorage and board a cruise liner for 7 more days. We'll head down to Vancouver then fly home on the 21st.

And, just to make sure my hot rod will be ok, she's all wrapped up.

If I happen to spot any Oldsmobiles, I'll be sure and post pics!

Last edited by 72455; September 6th, 2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old September 6th, 2023, 08:03 PM
Banned

Good for you. Sounds like a well deserved trip. Enjoy your time. 👍
Old September 6th, 2023, 08:37 PM

Enjoy! Should be a great journey. We've done the Alaska cruise out of Vancouver a couple of times but none of the overland stuff. Hopefully it's still warm for you and the Aurora adheres to the viewing schedule :-D
Old September 7th, 2023, 05:54 AM

Excellent! I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Old September 7th, 2023, 06:14 AM

Hi,

We did that trip 2022, during the summer so no night. If you're cruise goes for the zip line excursions, go it was fun although the ride up the hill was scarier than the ride down.

Enjoy and post some pics

Regard,
Jim
Old September 7th, 2023, 06:35 AM

Out of curiosity, what's the electrical cord for that can be seen running from the garage to under the car?
Old September 7th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Out of curiosity, what's the electrical cord for that can be seen running from the garage to under the car?
That's for my battery tender
Old September 7th, 2023, 06:49 AM
Running On Empty

Dave - Have a wonderful excursion.
Old September 7th, 2023, 07:05 AM

Smile

Got room for 1 more ? enjoy!
Old September 7th, 2023, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 72455
That's for my battery tender
Cool.

You know, if it were me, and I was going to be gone from home for as long as you are (14 days, it sounds like), and my battery needed tending, I would take the battery out of the car and put it in the garage with the tender hooked up to it there. As it is, that cord is subject to nosy neighbors, gnawing animals, and who knows what else. I would want things as secure as possible. Unless there's something in the car that needs constant power. Unless you have an aftermarket radio with station presets in memory or something like that, about the only thing a car of this vintage could have that would draw constant power would be a clock. That can be reset when the battery is reconnected. With the battery removed, the car is more difficult to steal as well.

Just a thought.
Old September 7th, 2023, 07:26 AM

I think you will love your trip, Alaska is truly wild, different and wonderful place to vacation, completely unlike any place I've been in the states. Dad and I and one other took a 24-foot cabin cruiser from Prince Rupert 400 miles to Glacier Bay, something I will remember for the rest of my life. Take pictures... Tedd
Old September 7th, 2023, 10:15 AM

On your 7 days of land excursions are renting a car, RV or some other means of transport?
enjoy your trip don't feed the bears🙃
Old September 7th, 2023, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by bobs72
On your 7 days of land excursions are renting a car, RV or some other means of transport?
enjoy your trip don't feed the bears🙃
The cruise line is providing transportation, and I know we take a train at some point.
Old September 7th, 2023, 11:21 AM

Have a safe trip! We'll be making a similar cruise next May.
Old September 7th, 2023, 01:39 PM

That’s a trip on my bucket list. I’m envious, I hope I don’t have to wait too long to check that off my list.

My mom was an Air Force brat, my grandfather retired from the Air Force after 20 years (mom was 15 at the time if I remember correctly). They were stationed in Alaska for 2.5 years. Some of my fondest memories are of my mom and grandparents telling stories of their travels. Now that they are all gone, I really wish I had paid more attention.

My wife was also an Air Force brat, my father in law also retired after 20 years. My mom enjoyed sharing some of her childhood experiences with my wife.

Old September 7th, 2023, 05:31 PM

I was in Fairbanks 5 years ago to see the northern lights. I flew from Newark Airport to Seattle, and it was a 3-hour layover. The hotel (La Quinta) that I stayed was like a 10 second ride. I could've walked over there from the Fairbank Airport. I went to this lodge and was told to download an app for my iPhone to capture the northern lights.
I went to see the Artic Circle which was an all-day event. On the way down, you can see the oil pipeline. Some rent a car companies will not let you rent a car if they asked you if you're going to drive to see the Artic Circle because there's no cell phone signal. You need to use a satellite phone and there's only 1 gas station on the Dalton Highway.
I went to meet the sled dogs and went for a ride which was really cool. The dogs are very friendly.
I went to the ice museum which is warmer inside than outside. Also, on the same location, there's a hot springs where you can go for a swim and smell the sulfur.
The Museum of the North was pretty cool. There's a replica check of $7.2 million when USA bought Alaska from Russia. 3 weeks later after the purchase, there was a gold rush.
There is a car museum called Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.
I did ice fishing with my girlfriend (at that time) and caught 3 rainbow trout. I froze my *** off.
Rode on the Alaska Railroad to passed by the Denali Mountain.
When I was there. the tour bus that I was in, I happened to see Blockbuster video store. A year later, they shut down and Oregon still had their only Blockbuster opened.

oil pipeline

Me and my girlfriend (at that time) you can see the northern light in the background. This is use with an iPhone.

Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum

Ice museum

Hot Springs at the Ice Museum. You can smell the sulfur

Getting ready to ride the dog sled

Ice fishing and caught a Rainbow Trout
Old September 7th, 2023, 06:23 PM

Dad lived there for 40ish years. You will miss a lot but what you do see is awesome.
Its a BIG place in more ways than you can imagine.
Woke up to northern lights at 2:00 AM the night before moose hunting early Sept. once. Spectacular.
was the best year ever.
5 moose. 2 Caribou. 1 Grizz.
Old September 8th, 2023, 01:31 AM

Things got started a little shaky. We left Norfolk without a hiccup, but when we got to Charlotte, things went all kinds of sideways.

After boarding our plane, we sat there for like 30 minutes only to have to deplane due to a small fuel leak. So they shifted us to another plane, and after we got settled on that one, we had to deplane again because the A/C didn't work and because of the issue with the first plane, the pilots timed out.

So we booked another flight with hopes that we wouldn't miss our connecting flight in Seattle. After spending 7 hours at the Charlotte airport, we got onboard and after sitting there for an hour due to weather delays, we finally took off. Needless to say, our connecting flight was out of the question.

We made it to Seattle at around 11 pm (their time), booked an early flight to Fairbanks for 8 am today (Friday) and were able to get a room for some quick shuteye.

So that's where we are. Hopefully all the setbacks are behind us and we have easy going from here.

Last edited by 72455; September 8th, 2023 at 01:34 AM.
Old September 8th, 2023, 03:07 AM
Running On Empty

Things got started a little shaky. We left Norfolk without a hiccup, but when we got to Charlotte, things went all kinds of sideways.
After boarding our plane, we sat there for like 30 minutes only to have to deplane due to a small fuel leak. So they shifted us to another plane, and after we got settled on that one, we had to deplane again because the A/C didn't work and because of the issue with the first plane, the pilots timed out.
So we booked another flight with hopes that we wouldn't miss our connecting flight in Seattle. After spending 7 hours at the Charlotte airport, we got onboard and after sitting there for an hour due to weather delays, we finally took off. Needless to say, our connecting flight was out of the question.
We made it to Seattle at around 11 pm (their time), booked an early flight to Fairbanks for 8 am today (Friday) and were able to get a room for some quick shuteye.
So that's where we are. Hopefully all the setbacks are behind us and we have easy going from here.
Argh! Hope the remainder is less shaky. Traveling is an adventure, eh?
Old September 8th, 2023, 03:10 AM

Hope the rest of your trip isn't a PITA.
Old September 8th, 2023, 03:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by ELY442

oil pipeline
Nice closeup picture of a Thermosiphon & Heat Radiators
Old September 8th, 2023, 07:54 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Cool.

You know, if it were me, and I was going to be gone from home for as long as you are (14 days, it sounds like), and my battery needed tending, I would take the battery out of the car and put it in the garage with the tender hooked up to it there. As it is, that cord is subject to nosy neighbors, gnawing animals, and who knows what else. I would want things as secure as possible. Unless there's something in the car that needs constant power. Unless you have an aftermarket radio with station presets in memory or something like that, about the only thing a car of this vintage could have that would draw constant power would be a clock. That can be reset when the battery is reconnected. With the battery removed, the car is more difficult to steal as well.

Just a thought.
... or the whole car could just go in the garage ...
Old September 8th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Things got started a little shaky. We left Norfolk without a hiccup, but when we got to Charlotte, things went all kinds of sideways. After boarding our plane, we sat there for like 30 minutes only to have to deplane due to a small fuel leak. So they shifted us to another plane, and after we got settled on that one, we had to deplane again because the A/C didn't work and because of the issue with the first plane, the pilots timed out. So we booked another flight with hopes that we wouldn't miss our connecting flight in Seattle. After spending 7 hours at the Charlotte airport, we got onboard and after sitting there for an hour due to weather delays, we finally took off. Needless to say, our connecting flight was out of the question. We made it to Seattle at around 11 pm (their time), booked an early flight to Fairbanks for 8 am today (Friday) and were able to get a room for some quick shuteye.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you got all the bad stuff out of the way early and you will be clear to enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old September 8th, 2023, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
... or the whole car could just go in the garage ...
Or lots of things. I presumed that, if there were space in the garage, the car would have already been in it.
Old September 8th, 2023, 04:46 PM

Or lots of things. I presumed that, if there were space in the garage, the car would have already been in it.
That's exactly right!
Old September 8th, 2023, 04:50 PM

So after our eventful first day, we touched down in Fairbanks only to find out our luggage is still in Seattle...arg! We're hoping it'll catch up with us tonight.

That's OK, we're gonna keep rolling with the punches.
Old September 9th, 2023, 04:14 AM

We got our luggage...Yay! And the lights were amazing!

Old September 9th, 2023, 04:17 AM
Running On Empty

Dave - Great pictures. Enjoy yourselves.
Old September 9th, 2023, 04:28 AM
Bfg

Good thing the fuel leak wasn’t detected have way to your destination!
Old September 10th, 2023, 09:36 PM

Didn't make it to Fountainhead, but I did get to this on the grounds of the resort we're staying in here in Denali.

Also got to see Denali (aka Mt McKinley)

Last edited by 72455; September 10th, 2023 at 09:40 PM.
Old September 11th, 2023, 04:27 AM

Glad your luggage arrived. Looks like you've been having a blast besides a few hiccups.