General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Air Hog" air filter

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:19 PM
Forward into the Past

"Air Hog" air filter

This afternoon, as I was getting ready to head to Wally World to get a few groceries I took a notion to check the air filter on my '95 Cutlass convertible. It looked kind of grimy so I picked up a replacement while I was there. Both the new filter and the old one are Fram but they couldn't be more different. The old filter turns out to be a Fram "Air Hog" reusable filter. The things were apparently discontinued years ago but the cleaning kits can still be had on eBay for about twice what I paid for a conventional paper filter. I'm not sure how many cleanings you get out of a kit, so it's hard to decide whether it's worth it. Nonetheless, I put the "Air Hog" filter in the new filter's box and stuck it in my tool shed pending a decision. I don't know whether I'll bother to clean it up and reuse it and with a brand new paper filter in place, I really don't feel much pressure to make a decision right now.

Last edited by Human; October 2nd, 2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 03:46 AM

I have an Air Hog filter on my 71 98. I just use the K & N cleaning kits. It works great.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 06:05 AM

I've never seen a fram Air Hog, but if it's like the K&N filters, then reusing them is simple.
You can use any cleaner/degreaser - I use simple green. Spray it on the incoming air side, let sit for a bit, then GENTLY run water from the engine side of the filter to the incoming air side - flushing all the trash out. Don't use a pressure stream - that'll tear the filter.
Let it dry in the sun. Once dry, fog it with the K&N filter oil which you can get just about anywhere for cheap.

K&N's cleaning kit just adds their cleaner. It's nothing special and overpriced, so just use whatever you have. Even 409 or a kitchen cleaner will work fine.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:09 AM
Forward into the Past

From what little I've been able to gather about them, the Air Hog filters were Fram's attempt to compete with K&N's reusable filters. I remember seeing them advertised in the late '90s and early 2000s, but it seems they were discontinued around 2007, which would make the one I pulled out of the convertible more than a decade old. Good tip on the Simple Green. I'll give that a try and look at putting the Air Hog back in when the paper filter is ready for the bin.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:10 AM
Administrator

I'm not a fan of the reusable filters as they don't filter as well as a paper one. I learned this from diesel truck articles.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:25 AM

I learned it from driving my Jeep out in the desert. With the K&N there was fine dust inside the air box (on the filtered side) and all the way through the air intake tube to the throttle body. I have never seen that when using a regular paper filter. This may not be a big deal in wetter areas that don't have the amount of dust that we have here in the desert.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:31 AM

I'll have to try the Simple Green, it would definitely be cheaper than the K&N kit. The only bad thing about using the K&N oil is that it's red and makes the Air Hog darker. I like the Fram orange.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:55 PM
delete

I have one in my 442. It was a rock Auto closeout for $4
Old December 10th, 2022, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'm not a fan of the reusable filters as they don't filter as well as a paper one. I learned this from diesel truck articles.

made for race applications, you tear them down a lot and rebuild them, it doesn’t matter, not for classics.
I stick with the 542, it has the oiled foam on too.
Old December 10th, 2022, 07:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Human, it looks like you have the exact same car I just bought for my wife. Hers has the 3.4 and 26,000 original miles with original paint. She is the third owner. I looked for one of these cars a long time before the right one came along. I did have to put a battery in it yesterday and that is interesting.