General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Air con removal

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Air con removal

Hi, I'm trying to remove my air conditioning out of my 69 cutlass, living in uk I don't really need it. I've got to remove the base fixed to the engine bay and gonna put a plate or panel to cover the gap but also always wondered if the vacuum tank was also part of it? I don't suppose if anyone knows?

Thankyou
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kotny
Hi, I'm trying to remove my air conditioning out of my 69 cutlass, living in uk I don't really need it. I've got to remove the base fixed to the engine bay and gonna put a plate or panel to cover the gap but also always wondered if the vacuum tank was also part of it? I don't suppose if anyone knows?

Thankyou
If you want to retain head and ventilation, yes you need to retain the vacuum system and reserve tank. The flapper doors in the HVAC box under the dash use this vacuum in conjunction with the dash control head. A quick reading of Chapter 1 in your Chassis Service Manual will tell you this. Also, instead of using a plate, you can buy a molded A/C delete box that covers the hole, mounts the blower motor, and retains functionality of the heat and defrost.

Now, if you plan to completely delete the HVAC system, including heat, defrost, and vent, then yes you can remove the vacuum system also.