General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aftermarket audio \ 1972 442

Old March 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Big Kid with the Cutlass

Aftermarket audio \ 1972 442

Good afternoon all,
Looking for suggestions.
Although the rest of my car is basically stock, i want to upgrade the audio. I have the stock radio in the dash and the (6x9) cutouts on the rear deck. Looks like there is (are) some sort of speaker(s) in the middle of the dash ( I can see them through a small grille up near the bottom of the windshield.
I want to upgrade to a stereo that can handle CD's and an USB jack, and Bluetooth. Maybe Bose in the rear deck. But not sure what to do in the front.
I do NOT want to cut anything for the speakers or to replace the front L & R kick panels with the ones that actually have a round cutout of speakers..
(I know I'll probably have to do a slight cut in the dash for the audio unit though...since I've heard mixed reviews for the Retrosound line of receivers to avoid cutting)
Any pointers or recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jersey Chris; March 15th, 2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Administrator

I don't believe there are any in dash CD player type radios that won't require major dash cutting. I would put it in the glove compartment. Not many choices on the front speakers with your requirements. There are dual speakers that mount in place of the old single in the dash.
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:50 PM

This is my plan...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-housings.html
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

The factory radio was a SINGLE speaker in the center of the dash. The optional factory stereo used that speaker plus ONE speaker in the rear deck. The other opening in the rear deck was for the optional rear window defroster. You can get an aftermarket stereo speaker pair that replaces the single dash speaker, but putting the two channels right next to each other seems to defeat the purpose of stereo. You can also get aftermarket kick panels with speakers in them, which I think is a better way to go, except that the treble gets lost in the carpet.

Do you really want CDs, or just MP3s? You can get a hidden system with a remote that will accept USB and AUX inputs. Simply leave the original radio in the dash and run the hidden one. Sound will be better.
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM

I just recently upgraded my '68. I bought component 6.5" speakers for the front using aftermarket kick panels. I mounted the tweeters in the dash grill using the stock front speaker bracket. (Not sure if the '72 is the same) I had to gently file the bracket a bit to fit but it works great. The tweeters reflect off the glass. The tweeters are on a swivel so can be focused.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds stpeaker.jpg (67.9 KB, 67 views)
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Lance

This is a reproduction of the original radio that has some modern options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-Olds...vip=true&rt=nc
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Chris,

I got one of the repro 8-track housings that is setup for a normal DIN-sized head unit. Can get them with stock woodgrain or black - not sure if this is too custom of a look for you.

I also installed the front kick panels with speakers, and bought three-way speakers that the tweeter could swivel to be more directional. I know you state that you don't want to do this, but the sound quality is great, and with black speakers they are very inconspicuous - and swappable back to stock easily.

These days, I only listen to Pandora though - so if I had to do it again, I would do what Joe suggests and find a unit that maybe has a remote to change volume / stations / input and is otherwise totally incognito. Haven't listed to CD's in a long time, and maintaining an MP3 collection got to be such a pain that I just went with Pandora...
Attached Images
FullSizeRender.jpg (58.6 KB, 79 views)
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:43 PM

I installed a Retrosound model 2 in the dash & 6.5 inch speakers in the kick panel. Because the previous owner cut holes for 6.5s in the rear of my convert, I kept speakers there also, with the swiveling tweeters. I am very happy with it. I use the bluetooth to stream from my phone.
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:30 PM

It is your car so you are the final answer to how you do it. But keep in mind, if you cut the dash you will have to replace it if you want to go back to factory look. That being said, there are lots of ways to make improvements to the sound. Component speakers in the kicks is a great option and like mentioned can be returned to factory if you want.

The factory dash speaker is a 4X10 size and a mounting system can be made to accept two 3 or 4 inch speakers, or a pair of tweeters like mentioned above.

6X9 speakers are a great option for the rear deck. In 15 years of installing stereos I only saw/removed the rear defrost blower maybe twice. But that was in Southern California and Phoenix.

If you install a 4-channel amplifier you can run the audio from a phone or MP3 player without disturbing the dash. Tastes great, less filling!

You can go to a good, quality stereo shop (they do still exist) and have them lay out all the options for modifying and not modifying your vehicle.
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:48 PM

Maybe something in the glove compartment. Not real handy being that far away from the driver position though. Remote control for that unit? Not sure if remotes work through the glove compartment door. As for speakers in the front, maybe up under dash and pointing down to the floor. Speakers under the front seats also.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
It is your car so you are the final answer to how you do it. But keep in mind, if you cut the dash you will have to replace it if you want to go back to factory look. That being said, there are lots of ways to make improvements to the sound. Component speakers in the kicks is a great option and like mentioned can be returned to factory if you want.

The factory dash speaker is a 4X10 size and a mounting system can be made to accept two 3 or 4 inch speakers, or a pair of tweeters like mentioned above.

6X9 speakers are a great option for the rear deck. In 15 years of installing stereos I only saw/removed the rear defrost blower maybe twice. But that was in Southern California and Phoenix.

If you install a 4-channel amplifier you can run the audio from a phone or MP3 player without disturbing the dash. Tastes great, less filling!

You can go to a good, quality stereo shop (they do still exist) and have them lay out all the options for modifying and not modifying your vehicle.
X-2^^^ Just did the same set up in my 68. Amp in the trunk remote amp wire to key hot, with a fused power wire to the battery. Two 5 1/2s and two 6x9's run to the amp. Ran RCA cable and adaptor under the carpet. The ipod/ phone jack is in the ashtray. My factory AM radio is still in the dash and functional.
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad

Does someone sell a 4" X 2 as one unit that bolts straight into the 4 X 10 hole? That is what I am looking for.

Thanks
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies
Does someone sell a 4" X 2 as one unit that bolts straight into the 4 X 10 hole? That is what I am looking for.

Thanks
The 2 x 3" setup is everywhere. I've seen a 2 x 3.5". Packaging two 4" speakers in a 4x10 oval is tough.
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:53 PM

Redirad

Please consider the redirad it's a no mod inline to oem radio via the antennae line so you can maintain stock appearance and function in original am or fm radio but allow crystal clear universal input from the Mic in to any device like iPod ,cell phone , portable CD player, satellite radio etc. And play it through the oe radio to your speakers , it turns off antennae input automatically when input is turned on no interference tucked away under dash just power and ground needed.

https://rediscoveradio.com/

Last edited by GEARMAN69; June 10th, 2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 2 x 3" setup is everywhere. I've seen a 2 x 3.5". Packaging two 4" speakers in a 4x10 oval is tough.
Thanks Joe. Do you have specific ones you would recommend?
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Old vs New

Little costly, but has all the Bells & Whistles.. Looks Identical to the Original..
Attached Images
New and Old AM-FM Radio.jpg (328.8 KB, 69 views)
Radio Conversion 1.JPG (62.1 KB, 55 views)
Radio Conversion 2.JPG (61.3 KB, 53 views)
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by pfergy600
Little costly, but has all the Bells & Whistles.. Looks Identical to the Original..
I am getting it, but don't want to spend that kind of coin and have it sound like poop, so I am going to have to spend a little money on speakers as well.
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:48 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Stereo with Speakers and Amp..
Attached Images
Kenwood Amp.JPG (56.5 KB, 34 views)
Kenwood Speakers Rear.JPG (65.0 KB, 31 views)
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies
Thanks Joe. Do you have specific ones you would recommend?
They are all pretty much the same. Some are plastic, some are hardboard. If you have a jigsaw you can make your own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Kit-BKU...694677&vxp=mtr
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:41 PM

I have a pic of my dash with the cover off (as it is now) that I have been studding. Has anyone tried drilling 4 extra holes and just putting 2 X 4" in the hole as far apart as they will go? That sort of makes the most sense without having it in front of me in person.

pfergy600, I don't want to spend $600 on a repro radio that is supposed to put out 35W X4 and then buy an amp and figure out where to put it where nobody will ever see it. I am hoping if the stereo puts out an honest 10W per it will power any modern speaker and I should be able to hear it and it should sound better than the paper speakers in my '71 from high school.

It would be great to hear from someone that has one of these radios and get an opinion of what they sound like.
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:50 PM

For the speakers you can go with a component system that is what I did with my 70 when I had it for front speakers. I put a base in trunk, midways mounted under dash facing downward, put 3 ways in rear tray and 1 inch tweeters on the winsield pillars.
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:57 PM

Thanks. That is what I would do if I wanted it to sound "good," like my BMW DD that has 12 speakers (and is 13 years old btw). But I don't want anyone to be able to see anything in the trunk or on the pillars though. I am going for a semi show car that I can drive, so I want the sound to be "acceptable" which means a lot of different things to different people. I am building my car to be "fast" but I don't want to run the 1/4 in it. I want the stereo to be the same, if that makes sense.
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM

I would not cut the dash if it were me
Old June 9th, 2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by steverw
I would not cut the dash if it were me
I have no intention of cutting the dash at all. I am just asking if anyone has drilled 4 extra mounting holes in the car body (on the metal dash under the vinyl) and installed two 4 inch speakers in the 4 X 10 hole?
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:02 AM

https://rediscoveradio.com/
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:57 AM

"I do NOT want to cut anything for the speakers or to replace the front L & R kick panels with the ones that actually have a round cutout of speakers.."

Any particular reason why you do not want to swap out the kick panels with ones already fitted with speakers?

I did it with mine and I think that it was the easiest job that I have ever done on my cutlass. No cutting required. A few screws, attach the wires and you now have front speakers that work great and are not in the way at all.
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:25 AM

www.outofsightaudio.com
Old July 2nd, 2015, 04:27 PM
1967 442

Originally Posted by GEARMAN69
I actually just installed this on my original AM radio in my 67 442. WOW! I am keeping it all original and I never thought I could get XM, IPhone, FM through the original AM radio. Original single dash speaker and reproduction rear single. Clear and loud. Totally hidden behind my dash. The aux cable is behind my ash tray, but easily accessible.

Until now, I have been listening to AM talk radio or music straight from my phone with ear buds.

I totally recommend if you are after the total original look.