Car Audio opinions, examples?

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Where were you in '72?

Car Audio opinions, examples?

I'm a newbie when it comes to all the latest car audio offerings and would appreciate advice on what and how to install a decent sound system in my '72 Cutlass. I'm thinking a budget around $1.5-2K (is this reasonable?), head unit must fit in the glove box and 4 channel speaker system minimum with sub. I would also like to integrate my 8track and am/fm into the speaker system if possible (some sort of switch?).
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM

Unless you plan on having the Allman Brothers having a concert in your car I don,t think you need to spend that much. A good sterio with good watt output and 4 speakers to match would be fine. Cars of that age and older were not known for sound deadening insulation. pedestrians on the outside of your car will hear more of the music then you.
seriously 500-700 will be all you need. JUST MY OPINION.
Also the fun of driving a 72 cutlass is the sound of the engine and the experiance of driving a classic.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by boondocker
I'm a newbie when it comes to all the latest car audio offerings and would appreciate advice on what and how to install a decent sound system in my '72 Cutlass. I'm thinking a budget around $1.5-2K (is this reasonable?), head unit must fit in the glove box and 4 channel speaker system minimum with sub. I would also like to integrate my 8track and am/fm into the speaker system if possible (some sort of switch?).
You might need a floating ground adapter to connect your old radio to a new amp. A crossover would provide the output for the sub.

An amp with 100-200 watts would do plenty with a 2 channel system.Unless your are looking to make quarters jump on the hood.

Last edited by radioburningchrome; August 2nd, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:01 AM

Randy (C.O.C. member) makes a very reasonable repro 8 track housing that you can install your head unit into without hacking up anything if you don't want to reach into the glove box all the time. I've not finished my system, but I have 6-1/2" in after market kick panels and plan on a sub with an amp in the trunk as well as some removable 6x9 enclosures for the rear seat since my car is a convertible. I did not want to cut any interior or metal for the sound system.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:11 AM
Where were you in '72?

Actually I would like to keep my factory mounted 8 track and am/fm in the dash and fully functional to keep the old school look, but would also like to install a hidden good quality head unit, amp, xover and speaker system. I thought i could connect my old system in parallel to the new system speaker system as well (?). I'm not sure what the impedance contraints might be.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:32 AM

Turnswitch can convert your 8-Track to use an AUX plug so you can plug it into a new radio. They also can take your old radio put new FM/AM electronics in it and add multiple AUX jacks ipod etc.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:40 AM
Where were you in '72?

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Turnswitch can convert your 8-Track to use an AUX plug so you can plug it into a new radio. They also can take your old radio put new FM/AM electronics in it and add multiple AUX jacks ipod etc.
Thanks, I just checked their site...cool.