General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

after market fenders 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2016, 04:01 AM

after market fenders 72 cutlass

i have heard 70-72 re poped fenders do not fit correctly, are they all stamped from 1 place in asia or is there a good brand to use. for 500 bucks they should fit correctly,or should i wait till i find some good used ones ??thanks
Old February 3rd, 2016, 05:25 AM

fenders

Hello:
I would wait till you can find either NOS or rust free fenders from the Western States, it would be one thing if the fenders were a couple hundred bucks, then you could possibly justify using them. If the fenders cost that much, you could probably find what you are looking for here from one of the other members, there are quite a few guys on here that will help you out. Good old Detroit Steel will always fit better. Just my opinion.
Thanks, Ron
Old February 3rd, 2016, 05:40 AM

well from what i am to understand they use the same dies to stamp the fenders as the factory BUT they do not use the 100 ton press or whatever they used originally.AND as the dies age they wear.i think this is why they use a weaker press so the dies will last longer.
i just put some 1/4s on an 85 el camino.they fit good on the top,bottom,back and wheelwells.but they were short on the front,this i attribute to the dies wearing out.sooo i have about a 3/4 inch gap on the mid body line between the door and 1/4.the top and bottom gaps are good.
also they will not be straight.so you will have to work them,figure a good day or two.if it was me i would wait for some good used or some n.o.s. even if they cost you 1000 bucks you will end up with less time and money in em.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:48 PM
Smash

I think it's thinner stock all together take a look at the diff in weight & thickness of old GM bumpers and the aftermarket repros it's not even close. So to suggest that overseas is skimping on the steel stock isn't a far reach.
That said you have to expect some shimming even with nos fenders. Especially with our classic 70's cars every ding and dent over the year might require a shim here and there to get good to perfect lines. Good luck I've never even seen a perfect Cutlass front end. The nose and bumper to fender always to me anyway look a little off from one side to the next. Not a great design in my opinion.