Addiction Relapse Again, 67 442

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 04:39 PM

Addiction Relapse Again, 67 442

Recently sold my red 67 442 and the 66 Delta. I was on the right track, reducing the herd and putting some coin in the bank until Saturday... I spotted a 67 post, 4 spd. and am bringing it home. Originally pewter it was with a black bucket seat interior, someone's project gone stale, sold and went stale again. Looks to have a G head 455 in it with unknown internals, engine not fired since, who knows when. Interior needs help and minimal rot. (Famous Last Words) The worst is the quarter wheel housings. Will post a few picts soon, and won't be able to dive into this one anytime soon but I HAD TO HAVE IT! In the mean time will search for parts to replace some incorrect things like shifter and I doubt the rear is 67-70 vintage. Have to see what gear it is and what it is. Possibly a chevy rear it is and as usual many parts will be needed to bring it back.
Old May 26th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Post some pictures. Let's see what you've done to yourself.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Administrator

X2 lets see it.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Picking it up tomorrow, can't wait... Please don't be Horrified!
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:15 AM

"Hello, I am the Maniac and I am an addict to collecting Oldsmobiles."

"Hello, Maniac."

Old May 27th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Yes, waiting for pictures. I bet I've got one that's more horrifying that yours! But hey, that's why they're called "projects"
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:49 AM

If one has to have an addiction, you picked the correct one.
Old May 27th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Olds Fever

There's just no sense of will power for some people, myself included... Although I am holding my own in my down sizing efforts, two sold in the past month and no new acquisitions YET... Now back to your recent 67 acquisition, looking forward to seeing how deep you got yourself...
Old May 27th, 2019, 03:58 PM

Pickup and 65 mile trim home was a breeze! Ok all Olds junkies here are the picts. No surprises yet, its actually nicer than I first thought. All parts are there except one door panel. The trim is surprisingly extra nice with this one!
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:01 PM

More

Old May 27th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Does look pretty solid. Is it runner or did someone just get carried away with stickers?
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:04 PM

Old May 27th, 2019, 04:07 PM

Old May 27th, 2019, 04:11 PM

Old May 27th, 2019, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Does look pretty solid. Is it runner or did someone just get carried away with stickers?
Don't really know, has manifolds, no headers but no exhaust either... air bags in rear springs and the car sits high all the way around, too high really... Last Pa inspection was 1983.
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:02 PM

thats a good looking 67, matching color to your wagon
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
thats a good looking 67, matching color to your wagon
Ha, I am a slave to originality, original color is pewter and someday will once again be pewter!
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Joe, say it ain't so ! Yes you are addicted , but a post 4 speed in pewter, I see why ! Subscribed.
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:21 AM

P is pewter, V is "antique pewter" ie dark silver.

I get being a slave to originality, but that hood is so garish it deserves to be garage wall art.
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
P is pewter, V is "antique pewter" ie dark silver.

I get being a slave to originality, but that hood is so garish it deserves to be garage wall art.
Yeah I kinda like that 455 logo and paint job on the hood!
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:46 PM

Joe,. A you frickin nuts or what 😂🙈. Ha

I have parts you know,. Get some of my money back 😎

Matt
Old May 29th, 2019, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by 67abody

Matt
Yes Yes yes, Freaking Nuts about says it all..... I need my springs back!
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:01 AM

If that's minimal rot, I'd like to see what rusty looks like! Then again, I guess for NJ it IS pretty mild. Down here, that is scrap metal. Lots of welding in its future!
Congrats on the new project, I love the '67 year...
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by rfpowerdude
If that's minimal rot, I'd like to see what rusty looks like! Then again, I guess for NJ it IS pretty mild. Down here, that is scrap metal. Lots of welding in its future!
Congrats on the new project, I love the '67 year...
You called it, I guess for NJ.... Typically floors need to be done, trunk pan, inner rockers, door repair lower fenders.... My 67 from CT was like that. This one will be easy comparatively... Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2019, 05:06 AM

I have parts you know,. Get some of my money back 😎

Matt
They will be coming out soon, do you want them Joe ??? I have a garage of other parts too as you know. Put me on speed dial
Old May 29th, 2019, 05:37 AM

They will be coming out soon, do you want them Joe ??? I have a garage of other parts too as you know. Put me on speed dial
I will be needing springs but now that I think about it the ones you have will be a tad too high.... And I cant dive into this project for a while so everything is on hold. Got to get that wagon done and my brother's 72. Will for sure keep you in mind, TKS!
Old May 29th, 2019, 06:48 PM

I was looking at that to see what I had that you could use, and the trim IS damn decent on that car, you're right.
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I was looking at that to see what I had that you could use, and the trim IS damn decent on that car, you're right.
Yes even the pot metal stuff is nice and usable when new paint goes on. It will be needing tail lights and grill bar. Bumpers are driver quality will probably get them redone. I want to get 67 seats in it as well and dump the Chevy rear and get a 400 E block back in there. I am hoping the crappy repro patch panels for the quarter wheel wells are manageable. I am trying to get my kid to jump on this one, so far not much interest he is 26, somewhat mechanical, has a Triumph Spitfire he plays with.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; May 29th, 2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 1st, 2019, 06:37 PM

Had some time today to see more in detail what I actually got. I pulled a valve cover to find nothing recent as far as rockers, and valve springs. I am guessing the 455 was acquired somewhere, a running used engine and placed in the 442. Since there is no flywheel cover I see a new looking Zoom pressure plate. I removed the battery tray to find no rot underneath and on radiator support. As far as the radiator its only a 2 row but has no auto trans cooler line provisions. I doubt that it could be original to the 442? I removed the modern cheap flex fan and put the stock 4 blade fan back on. I moved to the rear of the car and removed the gas tank. I am not sure if it is original as there was no pad atop the tank. To be on the safe side a new tank will be purchased. I made a call to a parts guru not too far away and asked if he had an E block for sale. He did have a short block so I picked it up as a core just to have when the time comes. I am in the middle of my wagon project so the goal here is to see about getting the 455 running and the car driving then wrap it up till Spring. In the mean time I can get parts o

n hand for a proper restoration.
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:08 PM

Joe, 2 rows were common, does it have Harrison tanks on it ? It could easily be original tank. FYI. I'm putting a restored unit in Ole Red,. Yours 4 row will prob be available . That plus a lot of other parts, although stuff is selling. Matt
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:15 PM

Joe, 2 rows were common, does it have Harrison tanks on it ? It could easily be original tank. FYI. I'm putting a restored unit in Ole Red,. Yours 4 row will prob be available . That plus a lot of other parts, although stuff is selling. Matt
I didn't look to see if it was a Harrison, something to look at tomorrow. The one in "red" is a 3 row, I should have gone with the 4 row... As for parts I am surprisingly set... unless you want to send me those door panels and paint them black! LOL Looks like SMS in Oregon will be getting some more work and cash from me...
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I didn't look to see if it was a Harrison, something to look at tomorrow. The one in "red" is a 3 row, I should have gone with the 4 row... As for parts I am surprisingly set... unless you want to send me those door panels and paint them black! LOL Looks like SMS in Oregon will be getting some more work and cash from me...
You better order them now 🙄
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:44 PM
Forward into the Past

The 12 Steps of Oldsmoholics Anonymous:
1. Admitted we were powerless over Oldsmobiles, that without one in the driveway our lives were unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a horsepower greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
3. Made a decision to turn our wallets and our lives over to a Garage of our understanding
4. Made a searching and fearless parts inventory of our shelves
5. Admitted to ourselves, this board, and another Oldsmobile owner the exact nature of our car's problems.
6. Were entirely ready to remove all of these defects in our cars
7. Humbly asked fellow list members to help us remove our cars' shortcomings
8. Made a list of all the breakdowns we have caused and became willing to make repairs to all of them
9. Repaired such breakdowns wherever possible, except where it would cause us to steal parts off someone else's car
10. Continued to take inventory of our car's worn-out parts, and when it broke down, promptly repaired it.
11. Sought through repair and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the Classic Oldsmobile boare as we know it, praying only for knowledge of its will for us and the horsepower to carry that out.
12. Having had a mechanical awakening, we tried to carry this message to others on the forum and practiced these principles in all our repairs.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:20 PM

Joe, 2 rows were common, does it have Harrison tanks on it ? It could easily be original tank. Matt
I did not think the 67 400 would be cooled by a 2 row radiator but it appears the car does have an original Harrison 2 row with no provisions for trans cooler lines. Now what to do.... I will see what a radiator shop thinks about a recore and possible an added row. There appears to be room on the side tanks for 3 rows;
Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:51 PM

I did not think the 67 400 would be cooled by a 2 row radiator but it appears the car does have an original Harrison 2 row with no provisions for trans cooler lines. Now what to do.... I will see what a radiator shop thinks about a recore and possible an added row. There appears to be room on the side tanks for 3 rows;

Doesn't surprise me Joe, . Think about the radiator in Your old car, I would consider selling it back. Option
Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:28 AM

Think about the radiator in Your old car, I would consider selling it back. Option
Many options I have, thanks Matt, have to think on a direction.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:55 AM

Well it's better than smoking crack! Nice car, I'd have done the same if I had the room.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:01 AM

I think I have some 3 core cores as well.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:49 AM

Pickup and 65 mile trim home was a breeze! Ok all Olds junkies here are the picts. No surprises yet, its actually nicer than I first thought. All parts are there except one door panel. The trim is surprisingly extra nice with this one!
Old June 3rd, 2019, 09:02 AM

good luck with project. FYI, i read you need a door panel and i know post door panels are not shown as aftermarket, but legendary interiors in new york is repopping them and i bought a set. you have to switch over emblem and chrome strip but they fit perfectly with no trimming and reasonable.

Quick Reply: Addiction Relapse Again, 67 442