General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aces Fuel Injection and aftermarket EFI in general

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2023, 12:24 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Aces Fuel Injection and aftermarket EFI in general

I see my YouTube videos plastered with these guys advertisements. What see is the cheap one is TBI and the more expensive one is TBI with timing control. I assume the same issues as FI Tech and thr Sniper. Thoughts on the latest "self tuning" efi? I know the comment has been made these TBI add no mileage or performance benefits. I would assume SEFI with timing control would gain down low and give up a few HP up top to a spot on, properly sized carb. Thoughts?
Old May 14th, 2023, 02:58 AM

I wouldn't. When something doesn't work or pi$$es a bunch of people off, they change the name and run it up a different flagpole (Comcast/xfinity). I wouldn't be surprised if Aces is a knockoff fitech which is a knockoff FAST. If you want SEFI, drop $5-7k and do it right or don't do it at all.
Old May 14th, 2023, 05:13 AM

Never heard of Aces. You'd probably have better luck with a Summit throttle body fuel injection unit if you want to save a buck.
Old May 14th, 2023, 06:42 AM

I honestly think people would rather spend 2500 bucks on one of these kits to avoid tuning their carb and distributor. One size fits all EFI is a joke and I would not trust anything that is "self tuning". What you'll get is one of a handful of a fuel and timing maps that works mostly ok.

There is a giant misconception that anything with a carb isn't reliable and can't be daily driven... I laugh and laugh at that sentiment.
Old May 14th, 2023, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
There is a giant misconception that anything with a carb isn't reliable and can't be daily driven... I laugh and laugh at that sentiment.
Boy amen to that. How many carbureted cars racked up well more than 100,000 miles?
Old May 14th, 2023, 08:24 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yeah currently a 78 800 Qjet on my 403 originally rebuilt and recalibrated by Everyday Performance. I had issues it, choke starting sticking on out of the blue, damage to housing, I fixed that by stealing the housing and linkage off a Dualjet. It then it started flooding over 1/2 throttle. I rebuilt it and tweaked it a bit, Cliff's HP kit, with a new float and his pull off, his special primary rods, 73 jets and opened the secondary air door a bit more. It is tuned with a wide band, runs really nice warm. I have played with the choke and pull off setting, but unless pig rich, get an instant start then stalls shortly afterwards. Nearly every carb vehicle I have owned does this, just the way they are. Spoiled by modern SEFI. I am going Holley Terminator SEFI with timing control on my 358, Mark got my RPM converted down there for SEFI. So many issues with the FI Tech and Sniper, the Aces is probably the same ***** different pile.
Old May 14th, 2023, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is a giant misconception that anything with a carb isn't reliable and can't be daily driven...
I know. How did we ever survive the 1960s?
Old May 14th, 2023, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Yeah currently a 78 800 Qjet on my 403 originally rebuilt and recalibrated by Everyday Performance. I had issues it, choke starting sticking on out of the blue, damage to housing, I fixed that by stealing the housing and linkage off a Dualjet. It then it started flooding over 1/2 throttle. I rebuilt it and tweaked it a bit, Cliff's HP kit, with a new float and his pull off, his special primary rods, 73 jets and opened the secondary air door a bit more. It is tuned with a wide band, runs really nice warm. I have played with the choke and pull off setting, but unless pig rich, get an instant start then stalls shortly afterwards. Nearly every carb vehicle I have owned does this, just the way they are. Spoiled by modern SEFI. I am going Holley Terminator SEFI with timing control on my 358, Mark got my RPM converted down there for SEFI. So many issues with the FI Tech and Sniper, the Aces is probably the same ***** different pile.
No, that is not "just the way the are". With the choke closed it should be pig rich. Fuel maps with EFI are also pig rich with cold starts. Thats normal operations.
Old May 14th, 2023, 08:04 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I well aware they are supposed to be rich, I am talking high 10 to 1 to low 11's for the first few minutes FYI. The start and stall is the annoying part, just spoiled with modern cars. I can probably go slightly tighter on the coil and close the pull off a tiny bit more, see if I can just start and go.
Old May 15th, 2023, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I well aware they are supposed to be rich, I am talking high 10 to 1 to low 11's for the first few minutes FYI. The start and stall is the annoying part, just spoiled with modern cars. I can probably go slightly tighter on the coil and close the pull off a tiny bit more, see if I can just start and go.

10:1 with the choke closed is actually somewhat lean. I believe its acceptable for a cold start to run almost 6:1 in cold enough conditions. If its starting and stalling the pull off is likely opening too fast, slow it down and see what happens. I wouldn't worry about cold start afrs- just get it running and let the choke open up. There needs to be heat in the intake and cylinders for the fuel to atomize.
Old May 15th, 2023, 04:02 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Cool, I thought that was on the rich side, it will go richer. Man, 6 to 1 with non ethanol fuel just seems so wrong. But it was probably there when I drove my 81 Delta 88 in -45C. Cliff slows down his choke pull offs to help prevent bogs when the secondaries open. It is slower opening, you can hear it.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; May 15th, 2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I know. How did we ever survive the 1960s?

This has been my argument for YEARS!!!

When these cars and trucks were new, they were expected to start in any environment, any weather, without a hassle or fuss, by little old ladies on their way to bingo, preacher getting ready to give his sermon, and people who’s mechanical abilities are maxed out opening the fuel door.

Properly maintained, there is no reason they can’t perform like that today.
Old May 16th, 2023, 04:13 PM

The 60s are bush league! Try a 6 volt system with a manual choke and spark advance!
Old May 16th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 60s are bush league! Try a 6 volt system with a manual choke and spark advance!
And you kids stay off my lawn!