General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

78 cutlass steering ???

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012 | 07:38 PM

78 cutlass steering ???

I'm planning on changing the steering box idler arm and center link on my 78 cutlass .I'm defiantly not a mechanic but I know the basics and this job looks pretty str8 forward. Is this as easy as it looks or is this a job for a mechanic ? Any info would be appreciated
Old May 15th, 2012 | 07:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No job is as easy as it looks.

That being said, there is no reason why you can't do this job yourself.

- Eric
Old May 17th, 2012 | 07:08 PM

Steering boxes aren't all that hard...

Get the box, rent the pitman arm puller, be prepared for air impact on the nut for the pitman arm...

Once the nut is off, head to the steering shaft. It would be easiest to loosen the steering column, or even pull it out. Yoink steering shaft. You are now presented with 3 options. #1 - replace the rag joint. 34 years old for a rubber part, do the math.. #2 - Go to a boneyard and grab a 95 Jeep Cherokee 2 u-joint steering shaft (direct bolt in),,, Or #3 - Ignore the shaft and move on.

Pull the power steering hoses off of the box. Now's a great time to replace them.

Three bolts on outside of driver's frame rail. Take em out, and then the box should just wiggle out.

I did my Delta a few weeks ago, and am VERY happy. Although my steering wheel is not centered, and I don't think the turning radius is centered, I still plan on more front end work, so as long as it tracks straight to me, I'm happy for now,

I did mine with an air impact, and never attempted hand tools on it, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Total job was about 3 hours. It also included a power steering pump change, steering system cooler install, repainting my steering shaft, and modifying my high pressure hose.
Old May 17th, 2012 | 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

fdwheelman, he doesn't need to yank the steering shaft or the column to do this job.

Steering box idler arm?? Idler arm is not even close to being part of the steering box. If the idler arm and center link need changing, you don't need to pull the gearbox. Just use a pickle fork and bust them loose, replace, torque, grease.

What is the problem with the gearbox now?