General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 W30 on Ebay, Lets play whats wrong.

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:33 AM

72 W30 on Ebay, Lets play whats wrong.

Ok, here is the ebay link. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m4 ... ORS%3A1123

I am looking to the other W30 owners that have done the same research as myself.

So I sent them an email
Dear collector_motors,
My question is this car rebodied. Under no circumstance did a 72 W30 come with air condition. It was not available for sale in California due to emissions. Same reason why air was not possible. Very nice car. Does have the X in the vin, but the AC makes it doubtful. I would say that the car has 112,000 miles on it and has been restored with an AC car body. Now I am from the Detroit area, I have ties to the REO Oldsmobile Musuem in Lansing. Just a heads up on your auction. If you have questions, please email me back. You can also contact the curator of the REO museum Ashley Jones. He is the expert of the 72 W30s.

So here is the reply, any opionions on this subject.

Dear wmachines,
While we appreciate the information you have provided, in a very respectful manner. I feel that no one can say without the fear of exception that "under no circumstance did a 72 W30 come with air condition". Is there not a single GM executive that couldn't have special ordered such an option? If you have the time or inclination to prove or disprove this vehicles' authenticity please have at it. We purchased it in the condition, save an engine rebuild, that it is in today as an "X" serialized W30 car. Thanks again, Randy
- collector_motors
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Lansing built

Mark, there was a lot of discussion on this a couple of weeks, everybody came to the same conclusion that you did!

Pat
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WMACHINES
I feel that no one can say without the fear of exception that "under no circumstance did a 72 W30 come with air condition". Is there not a single GM executive that couldn't have special ordered such an option?
Ah, the old "anything could be special ordered" defense.

I'm really getting sick of it.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM

Sorry I'm a little late. I didnt even think of looking in the forsale area. Got a pm about it. Just want to make sure my sanity is still good.
regards Mark
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Ah, the old "anything could be special ordered" defense.
I'm really getting sick of it.
And how! Handy excuse to attempt to fend off the knowledgeable. Okay then, if it was "special ordered", pony up the proof.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Originally Posted by WMACHINES
Sorry I'm a little late. I didnt even think of looking in the forsale area. Got a pm about it. Just want to make sure my sanity is still good.
regards Mark
Your sanity? Well........

Seriously Mark, I also notice that in the ad it says that he can't get a decent pic of the cowl tag????? Like *that's* a harder pic to get than the VIN? Another red flag.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:36 AM

I don't know these guys, but A/C could have been added, just like most options.

This doesn't mean or prove that the car has been rebodied. I can't even count the number of cars which had A/C added, during a restoration or at a later date.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:20 PM

my opinion

Perhaps they liked the chrome rocker mouldings that are not part of the W-29 package let alone the W-30 & maybe they "added" those to the car during the restoration too? Not likely!

How come they make no mention of a VIN stamped OW transmission for this car. How come when asked about it they ignore the email yet they send the same pre-typed cut & paste answers to other questions posed my numerous members.

And finally how come they answer zero questions within the ebay auction ad?....answer because they do not want prospective buyers to know the truth.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:42 PM

Has another tell under hood picture that its not a W30, not just A/C which could have been added to a "real' W30.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM

Washer jar on driver side(350) not passenger side(455). Picture of vin tag does not show the rivets, wonder why that is? Looks like a high quality camera, yet can't get a good picture of cowl tag?? I would like to see it in person, that may answer some questions.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:31 PM

The glove box door should not say 442. Someone is trying to hard....
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:33 PM

more details

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Has another tell under hood picture that its not a W30, not just A/C which could have been added to a "real' W30.
Like the bolts on the fenders for the big block fender braces?