General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 power top switch removal

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 08:11 PM

72 power top switch removal

I never guessed that removing the windshield wiper and convertible top switches in order to replace the wood grain applique would be such a colossal pain.
After much cursing and contortions I was able to remove the windshield wiper switch. However, I'm stuck on how to remove the convertible top switch (72 Cutlass). I have removed one of the two screws securing the switch to the instrument panel, but the second screw cannot be accessed w/o removing the wiring to the switch. And I can't figure out how to remove the wiring harness. I case you're wondering, what I'm really needing to remove is the escutcheon plate on the from the front of the dash, but those screws aren't accessible from behind until you remove the switch from behind.

So, any advice on how to remove the convertible top switch would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2018, 06:20 AM

Remove the plate that covers the 3 round gages, the screws are in the front side, look at the top,then you may be easier?
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Harv, I've done that, including removing the left side gauges (oil/temp/gas gauge). But still can't get to it the top switch or figure out how to remove the wiring harness from the top switch. The assembly manual doesn't provide much help either.
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:06 AM

I checked my assembly manual, looks like, to me it has two nuts on it like the wiper switch.
Old May 28th, 2018, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the follow up Harv. Yes, it's got two nuts, but one of them is inaccessible due to the wiring, which has me thinking the wiring must be removed first to get the switch out? But it doesn't appear that the wiring uses a typical electrical connector. So I'm stuck. Is further disassembly of the dash an option? Seems hard to believe that removal of the dash is necessary to remove the top switch...
Old May 28th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Did you try to pry, or pull the wire harness off? Most electrical wire in those days did not have clips, or anything to hold them in place. So I would think it would pull off pretty easy.
Old May 28th, 2018, 04:13 PM

OK, I finally figured it out. As I suspected, the wiring harness must be removed from the rear of the power top switch before you can access the two 1/4" screws that hold the switch in place. Going in through the left gauge pod, and using a mirror inserted into the dash cavity to guide me, I slipped a small slotted screwdriver between the switch body and the electrical connector on the harness. Twisted it slightly and the connector came off of the metal posts in the switch. The connector has a couple of barbed retainers on either side that hold the connection in place, but I couldn't figure out how to release them. I just overpowered them with gentle pressure from the screwdriver.

After the switch is removed you can then access the two 1/4" speed nuts that hold the faceplate ("escutcheon" in the assembly manual) to the dash. It's still a pain, but it's do-able.

Now I'm continuing with replacing the wood grain applique which is what the project is all about.

Here are some links to other info I found on the topic. Note that my process differs somewhat from what other people did...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/interior-upholstery/24176-how-replace-convertible-top-switch-dash.html
https://thisoldscar.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/removereplace-convertible-top-switch-on-a-1970-cutlass-supreme-convertible-of-course/