General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass Seatbelt Warning Wiring

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2014, 07:36 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
72 Cutlass Seatbelt Warning Wiring

I am converting my Bench Seats to Bucket Seats.. I have this existing wiring in my bench seat that was located under the passenger side of the bench.. Can I use this same setup under my passenger bucket seat? Another question is about the wiring under the dash.. I changed out my dash do to the POS butchering the radio area and a crack in the dash pad. I had the stock gauges too, and the seatbelt warning buzzer was in one of the gauges. With the new dash the seatbelt warning light is located on top of the dash as seen in the attached photos. I was wondering if the existing (original) behind the dash wiring harness is set up to take the new seatbelt warning light on top of the dash pad? I did upgrade to the Rallye Gauge Pack.

Thanks in Advance for any replys
Attached Images
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You do know that almost every single one of these warning systems was mercilessly rooted out and destroyed within a year of their manufacture, right?

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:57 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
No I didn't , so you are saying that this type of seatbelt warning light is now Rare? Or is it something that nobody wanted?
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:59 PM

Not sure if the pressure switch will fit a bucket seat, but it might be worth a try.
The buzzer itself is up in the dash to the side of the center vent (for both rally pack and granny pack) and that is where the wires from your light will need to connect (parallel to buzzer). Green is 12V, black would be switched ground. You might need to modify the harness somehow to connect it.

Many people hated seatbelts with a passion back then (more gooberment nannying) and disabled the warning systems. Parts are not rare but working systems might be. I had to hook mine up again.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Thank you Rob for the info, I was kind of curious about what Eric said too.. Personally I like that seatbelt light on top of the dash, I thought it looked kind of unique, even though I will not have it hooked up to the Driver's Side Bucket Seat, lol.. Is there any info about this type of dash pad? Was it something GM or Olds did for a short time, I know the seatbelt warning systems must have been coming into play in the early 70's.. Just Curious..
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by pfergy600
Or is it something that nobody wanted?
Thou dost have a finely tuned talent for understatement.

These buzzers were an infuriating hazard, which were also prone to failure.

Unlike the seatbelt warning chimes of modern cars, which usually emit a pleasant tone a few times, and then quit, these horrific things growled like a grinder in a hornets' nest, and did so continually, until you finally gave up and just clicked the seatbelt closed behind you and sat on it.

I mean, hey, it's your car, but the few of those that I heard "back in the day" (before they were -- ahem -- "disabled") were hellish.

Like a Prius driver in a biker bar, very few survived.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM

Eric, I like the reply... I was just curious if this style dash pad was rare or did GM use it for a while will Oldsmobiles or other GM cars..
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Eric, I like the reply... I was just curious if this style dash pad was rare or did GM use it for a while will Oldsmobiles or other GM cars..
As far as I know, this dash pad style is the same for all 70-72 Olds A body cars. There were two types of this dash - the vented one with center and side duct outlets (like the one you have) and a much rarer one for heater delete cars - the duct outlets are completely gone. The light assembly for the Jan 72 and later U21 cars is mounted to the same dash as all the others. A hole was cut in it at the factory to mount the lamp and run the wires to it.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe,
The dash you're saying is rare? Those were not for heater delete, whatever that is. I've heard of radio delete, but not heater delete. From the factory all the cars came with at least a basic heater system for defrost and lower heat. The dashes without the side vents or center vent cutout was for non AC post cars (2 or 4 door), and CS non AC HT sedans. This applies to 1970-72 models.

P3300425.jpg
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

With the new dash the seatbelt warning light is located on top of the dash as seen in the attached photos. I was wondering if the existing (original) behind the dash wiring harness is set up to take the new seatbelt warning light on top of the dash pad? I did upgrade to the Rallye Gauge Pack.
The 'pod' on the top of the dash and schematic for installation + buzzer are in the 1972 Cutlass Assembly Manual starting on page 101 of section 1-3
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Thou dost have a finely tuned talent for understatement.

These buzzers were an infuriating hazard, which were also prone to failure.

Unlike the seatbelt warning chimes of modern cars, which usually emit a pleasant tone a few times, and then quit, these horrific things growled like a grinder in a hornets' nest, and did so continually, until you finally gave up and just clicked the seatbelt closed behind you and sat on it.

I mean, hey, it's your car, but the few of those that I heard "back in the day" (before they were -- ahem -- "disabled") were hellish.

Like a Prius driver in a biker bar, very few survived.

- Eric
ALMOST as bad as the configuration warning on an old Boeing LOL...