General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 cutlass lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2018, 03:33 PM

72 cutlass lock cylinder

Trying to replace key lock cylinder, also replacing steering wheel with new sport one, have wheel off hazard ****,spring, turn lever,steering wheel lock plate,snap ring etc,also 3 screws holding column with ignition to next section., no tilt, column shift. How do you remove cylinder? Section of column with key loose from column . Thanks in advance for any help
Old December 28th, 2018, 03:53 PM

Should be a slot, that you stick in a thin feeler gauge,to release it. It may be partially covered by some slag metal, have to remove to get to it.
Old December 28th, 2018, 05:07 PM

Is slot on column? And where would it be located top bottom side.. thank you for response
Old December 28th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Just to the left of the top screw boss is the slot to remove the cylinder, you may have to break thru the pot metal if the cylinder has never been changed before. A lite tap with a screw driver is all i have ever had to do. You will also need to carefully remover the key reminder before doing anything,
the blue arrow is the key reminder, the slot you need is marked in red

Old December 28th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by nicks1966
Just to the left of the top screw boss is the slot to remove the cylinder, you may have to break thru the pot metal if the cylinder has never been changed before. A lite tap with a screw driver is all i have ever had to do. You will also need to carefully remover the key reminder before doing anything,
the blue arrow is the key reminder, the slot you need is marked in red

thanks, key reminder is broken, looks like plastic has broke in half, copper tabs barley hanging on, does it need replaced ? pretty sure it has never worked since i have owned. sure appreciate the help.
Old December 28th, 2018, 07:47 PM

First you need to remove the key buzzer switch. You can make a small hook out of a paperclip, or use a miniature rt angle awl. You hook it in the metal clip of the buzzer switch and pull. You can get a new switch from The Parts Place. A tilt switch is different. The slot you need to make is actually just to the left of the red arrow and lower. it's about 1/16" wide by 3/8". Typically, it's totally covered like yours. You can poke through the metal with a small screwdriver, then you get something thin to go in the slot and you push in. Sometimes the small screwdriver will be tapered enough to do it, sometimes you need something else. You push in and pull on the cylinder at the same time and it comes out. There's more, I for get if the key has to be in or not and I forget if it has to be in a special position (ACC, Start, or what). I looked quick on youtube or for Jim Shea's articles but can't see them and it's bedtime for me now! But...be aware probably 85% of what I read or saw on the internet is wrong. People say push here or there, and it will never come out that way. The cylinder has a small clip that holds it in and you have to push in right there to get it out. Anyways, I'm sure Joe or somebody can explain this better than I. See the slot and cylinder here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...witch-out.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cylinder.html

Last edited by mrolds69; December 28th, 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 29th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

This web page has good photos and instructions. Since that site is explaining how to repair a wobbly tilt column, just stop at the step that pulls the lock cylinder and ignore the rest of it.
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:02 PM

Thank you sir
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge sir