General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 cutlass s conv. electronic vs points?

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2015, 10:43 PM

69 cutlass s conv. electronic vs points?

hi guys. i have a ton of other stuff going on but i got my engine back together and used that amc rear seal as suggested by u experts. i got lots of pics of the engine build but i'm not gonna bore you all. i haven't fired it up yet. mothballed it in September. i am trying to find a decent qjet and also wondered if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts on converting distributor to a hall effect system? many thanks. paul

btw. it's a 350 4spd muncie. frt discs and a 12 bolt posi. numbers matching. i bought it in 73. my first car. all my buddys sold their novas and goats but luckily i put mine in the garage for 15 yrs when the kids came along. itching to drive it now!
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I really wish we had a real FAQ or some meaningful stickies...

... Or maybe a Search function.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Points: Require rechecking dwell every year or so and replacement of points every 12,000 miles or so (it's usually better not to replace the American condenser with a Chinese one).

HEI and other electronic ignitions (Pertronix, Accel, etc.): Does not require checking or resetting ever.

It is wise to carry spare components in case of a failure. It is cheaper to carry a spare set of points than a spare electronic system or HEI module and pickup.

All types can and do fail. It may never happen to you. Or it may.

There is no measurable performance increase with HEI or other electronic systems, as compared to well adjusted points, in a normal or normal-ish engine (racing or near racing applications, with higher than usual RPMs are different).
Some people say that they feel that their cars are smoother with HEI (replacing a worn distributor will result in smoother running).

Let the debate re-begin.

- Eric
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:35 AM

thanks Eric. i could never really fathom any performance improvements as related by some folk. i should keep it relatively stock. for the amount i use the car it should be fine. and as you said points won't leave you stranded. thanks again. paul
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:09 PM
Rocketeer

Points may not leave you stranded, but a shorted "condenser" will do that. Given the low quality of Chinese capacitors, I'd be sure to carry spare parts and a toolkit in the car.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:59 AM

Also avoid Mexican condensers.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
Randy C.

I switched from points to Pertronix about 4 years ago in my '68 4-4-2. Didn't notice a lick of difference, although I don't race or accelerate fast or anything like that. The Pertronix has worked well, but so did points and condenser.

Randy C.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:24 AM
Administrator

It really comes down to personal choice and whether to run points or electronic. There are advantages (not performance related) to both.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It really comes down to personal choice and whether to run points or electronic. There are advantages (not performance related) to both.
My car had the original points distributor when I got it. The shaft bushings were worn,as was the rubbing block. The internal ground braid was also bad. The car would misfire and give me all kinds of fits. I put in a Mallory Unilte and it has been rock solid ever since.

Points are Ok in my book, but make sure the other stuff is good too.

Tim