General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

68 Cutlass Roofrail Weatherstrip and Quarter Window Questions

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2014, 01:36 PM

68 Cutlass Roofrail Weatherstrip and Quarter Window Questions

Hello,

I'm test fitting roofrail weatherstrip and have some questions. Over the past 3 years I have been doing bodywork, and nearly completely broke down the body. The door, door window, and stainless channel that weatherstrip runs in were all removed. The quarter window was not removed. I am reinstalling the stainless channel and new weatherstrip and have questions. On the pictures below I show arrows pointing to two "lips" on the weatherstrip, inner and outer. As installed, when I roll up the quarter window, the front two thirds of the glass top edge rides in the inner lip, and the rear third rides in the outer lip. The crossover point is near the "1" in the picture.

Question 1 = What "lip" should the window seat into? The inner makes the most intuitive sense, but if that's the case how does the door's window glass seal when the door is opened and closed?

Question 2 = If the answer to #1 is the inner lip, that means the rearmost portion of the stainless trim has to be adjusted outwards, towards camera. The holes are slotted, and there is room in the slot to do so, but the channel extends into the rear of the quarter panel structure quite a ways and is 100% stuck - no movement, even while prying, towards the outside of the car. It looks like it is stuck against the structure, way past the rear edge of the window. Why is the channel so long?

68CutlassQuarterWindow1_zps7c409a94.jpg

68CutlassQuarterWindow2_zpsb89ec373.jpg
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Administrator

From the looks of it you don't have it in the channel correctly. It should not be wavy.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Yeah, it's wavy because I only have it in the channel for mocking-up purpose. The waviness isn't the cause of the window crossing over. If anybody has a picture of a 68 quarter window, similar to the views shown above I would be very grateful.