General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 442 convertible pinchweld molding

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2013, 06:09 AM

67 442 convertible pinchweld molding

How do you install the pinchweld molding around the boot on 1967 convertible?
The molding just came loose when I was removing my boot cover. I found that there were still some clips under the molding, but they were not attached to the body. It seems that the previous owner just glued the molding down, so, when I attached the boot cover, the molding came loose. I just ordered a new set of clips from opgi, and from looking at them, it seems that they are attached to the body with screws. Then the little wings of the clips fit into the molding.
I can picture what the end results should be, but how do you get there?
If the clips are screwed into the body, how do you get the clips into the molding?
Is there some secret to this?
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:35 AM

It would help if you post good pictures of the clips. It should look like this. I believe this slips over the pinchweld and the molding would fit by putting the 2 "fingers" which are springs into one side of the molding, then pull the molding against the fingers until you can snap it over the other side of the clip. It will be on there to stay. I don't know about screws, I imagine not. Let your car guide you on whether there are screws, do you see screw holes there? If so use them, if not then there were never screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clip 67 conv 001.jpg (53.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by 66luvr; September 6th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
It would help if you post good pictures of the clips. It should look like this. I believe this slips over the pinchweld and the molding would fit by putting the 2 "fingers" which are springs into one side of the molding, then pull the molding against the fingers until you can snap it over the other side of the clip. It will be on there to stay. I don't know about screws, I imagine not. Let your car guide you on whether there are screws, do you see screw holes there? If so use them, if not then there were never screws.
Take a look at the assembly and body manuals on Wild about cars. The end clips get screws, but most just push over.

Tim