General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

65 Delta 88 ignition lock

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM

65 Delta 88 ignition lock

I need some help finding the correct ignition lock for a 65 Delta 88.
It seems nowadays when you look for parts online everything fits your car. I'm surprised air bags don't show.
Anyways, I ordered an AC Delco that said it fit my car. It doesn't.
The GM part number on the box says 19162133
It doesn't fit all the way in the ignition switch nor does it lock into place.

Which ignition lock should I be looking for? The internet is seriously sometimes like the cereal isle now. So much crap with no info.

I even searched on here and didn't end up with anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wrong ignition lock.jpg (59.6 KB, 5 views)
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by vernonm3
I need some help finding the correct ignition lock for a 65 Delta 88.
It seems nowadays when you look for parts online everything fits your car. I'm surprised air bags don't show.
Anyways, I ordered an AC Delco that said it fit my car. It doesn't.
The GM part number on the box says 19162133
It doesn't fit all the way in the ignition switch nor does it lock into place.

Which ignition lock should I be looking for? The internet is seriously sometimes like the cereal isle now. So much crap with no info.

I even searched on here and didn't end up with anything.
My 1965 Olds parts catalog shows under group 2.188; "Switch-Cylinder, Ignition Lock"
"Switch" 1116661
"Cyl. (less springs, tumblers, & ret.)" 1468116

The 1966 parts book shows two different numbers, but not the one you gave.

Sometime part numbers have changed through the years on the same (replacement) part.

Have you tried page 23 of: http://www.fusick.com/catfile/Catalog%2023BC.pdf

If you can't find the part you need, and originality doesn't matter, you may be able to substitute a generic switch & cylinder combo.
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Well I figured it out. Seems 65 had the octagon key. The cylinder has a small offset post on the back to turn the ignition switch. 66 they switched to the more standard larger square gm keys. So It turns out when I ordered an ignition switch and lock online, I got a 66 ignition switch and a 65 lock. The 66 lock has a large flat blade type thing on the back to turn the ignition switch. I like the larger keys so I just ordered a 66 lock.
Probably will end up getting new door locks too.

Does anyone know if the door lock cylinders can be rekeyed to match the new ignition lock?
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vernonm3
Well I figured it out. Seems 65 had the octagon key. The cylinder has a small offset post on the back to turn the ignition switch. 66 they switched to the more standard larger square gm keys. So It turns out when I ordered an ignition switch and lock online, I got a 66 ignition switch and a 65 lock. The 66 lock has a large flat blade type thing on the back to turn the ignition switch. I like the larger keys so I just ordered a 66 lock.
Probably will end up getting new door locks too.

Does anyone know if the door lock cylinders can be rekeyed to match the new ignition lock?
GM use the octagon keys until the 1969 model year. The blade part of the key did change from the 1966 to the 1967 model year, however. All 1935-1966 keys use the same blade portion. Starting with the 1967 model year, GM changed the grooves in the blade from year to year, requiring a different blank. These are the "letter" key blanks. GM did make letter blanks with the same blade but different heads, some square, some octagonal. Those will interchange. Most replacement lock cylinders for 1967-up come with the square head keys, but you can get an octagonal key cut to fit. Yes, lock cylinders can be re-keyed. PM me about this.