General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

455 in a 92 Olds Station Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM

455 in a 92 Olds Station Wagon?

I have been posting at a station wagon site for the past week or so. I have considered purchasing a 92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. It currently has a Chevy 350 and 4L60 transmission with an 8.5" GM corporate rear end. I was wondering if you guys think a 455 would fit into this vehicle? If so, do you have any pointers or suggestions for shoe horning it in? I spoke with the fellas at the station wagon site and they aren't too knowledgable about this swap.

I have already done some reasearch and I found this adapter plate to bolt up the engine to the transmission:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_74970_-1

I also know that the 4L60 would have to be built to withstand the torque of a 455. I am wondering how a 455 would bolt to the crossmember since the crossmember is designed for Chevy motor mounts... I am also wondering if the 8.5" rear end would have to be built to withstand the torque of the 455.
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I have been posting at a station wagon site for the past week or so. I have considered purchasing a 92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. It currently has a Chevy 350 and 4L60 transmission with an 8.5" GM corporate rear end. I was wondering if you guys think a 455 would fit into this vehicle?
The 91-96 B-body wagons frame is almost identical to the 77-90 frames. You should be able to simply use the 307 mounts from the previous generation. Since the 307 was not offered in the 91-96 cars, the frame mount holes may not be drilled, but just make a template from the earlier car that you snag the frame mounts from. You'll need an adapter for the 4L60, since that only comes in a Chevy bolt pattern.

Your biggest problem will be emissions. If you must have the car emissions tested where you live, NO Olds motor will pass since none was certified for the 1992 EPA requirements.
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Yeah, luckily Oklahoma doesn't do tail pipe tests or safety inspections. If I moved to Texas or Missouri though, I would be up the creek without a paddle.

Thanks for the info Joe. I knew that the previous generation station wagons used the 307. I just wasn't sure how similar the newer wagons were to the older generation.

If I could get that 455 in there, it would be an awsome car!
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM

See if OK has any kind of Classic or Antique car status that is emissions exempt.

Pennsylvania is the 2nd most strict state in the country for emissions, next to California of course. But it's only in certian counties, like Philadelphia and the counties around it, and Alleganny (sp) county (Pitsburg) where the bulk of the population is.

A classic car in PA has to be at least 15 years old, and the only thing is the car cannot be used for daily transportation, and Antique cars have to be 25 years old and can only be used from sunup to sundown. Both classes are emissions exempt.

If I were to do my Bravada project. I would have to buy a '93
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Yeah, I should probably double check the laws in OK. I know it is similar in MO. IF your car is over 25 years old you can register it as an historic vehicle and don't have to do tail pipe tests or safety inspections.
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
LBF
Hearse Driver

Missouri

As long as you don't move to St. Louis, and your engine has the correct original "Emissions" equipment in place, then you should be fine for a MO safety inspection. St. Louis does some emissions testing, but the rest of the state (AFAIK) does not. Why would anyone want to live in St. Louis anyway?
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by LBF
As long as you don't move to St. Louis, and your engine has the correct original "Emissions" equipment in place, then you should be fine for a MO safety inspection. St. Louis does some emissions testing, but the rest of the state (AFAIK) does not. Why would anyone want to live in St. Louis anyway?
Virtually all localities that have emissions inspection requirements have adopted the California philosophy on engine swaps: You can usually swap in a cleaner engine but not a dirtier one. Since there were no Olds 455s (or any Olds V8s) that were certified to comply with 1992 emissions, you cannot legally install one.
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM

I know what you all mean about the emissions. Actually, I don't know if the OCC would be a good investment for me right now. I think I am going to go ahead and finish my engine and then see what happens. If I put $2500 into a car then I won't be able to finish my engine as fast.
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
LBF
Hearse Driver

True, but...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Virtually all localities that have emissions inspection requirements have adopted the California philosophy on engine swaps: You can usually swap in a cleaner engine but not a dirtier one. Since there were no Olds 455s (or any Olds V8s) that were certified to comply with 1992 emissions, you cannot legally install one.
As long as you don't move to St. Louis and you engine compartment can pass a visual inspection for "emissions" components then you are OK. I believe that St. Louis is the only city/county in Missouri with any "tailpipe" emissions testing. I know that mid-Missouri does not.
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by LBF
........ pass a visual inspection ........
The VIN tells the inspector which engine came in the car.

Wouldn't an Olds V8, where a Chev V8 is supposed to be, look a little suspicious?

Norm
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
LBF
Hearse Driver

Depends

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
The VIN tells the inspector which engine came in the car.

Wouldn't an Olds V8, where a Chev V8 is supposed to be, look a little suspicious?

Norm
Depends on where you take it for the "visual" inspection. How many mechanics are going to go to the trouble of decoding a VIN to verify an engine? Especially if it's your friendly "local" shop that does a lot of work for you...
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I know for a fact that in NJ you cannot swap in a motor that is older than the car.

So if my 2000 Alero blew a motor and I dropped in a 99 motor, it would considered illegal

Whne I got my Delta inspected the paperwork said "5.7 Liter 350 engine" They never came with a 350 in '85