General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 trim tag / vin locations

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Looked at the pics and it's a nice looking car. I'd still be inclined to keep it and enjoy driving it. Sway bar is an easy install. Stripes can in some cases just be a matter of preference. My car has W30 stripes even though it's not one. But I'm not representing it that way.

BTW loved the photoshop job done on the pics!
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM

I totally missed the sway bar..... I was under the car and made a note about it being there but it was the front one.....I guess I got disoriented......The ram air looks real and PCV valve is in front of the carb. I'm wondering if it could be a W-30 motor, but intake is painted??? The more I dig into this the more upset I get.
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by dfire25
My heater box is out and I do not see a VIN derivative on the firewall. Granted part of my firewall is cut out, they tried to add A/C to a heat car, but most of the area behind the heater box is there. Does anyone have a specific location where this is or any pics?
Hi I've restored lots "A" body cars and parted out quite few too. I've looked for and never found a partial VIN behind the heater blower (or box) on any 442 or Cutlass. One of my customers who had access to a police book showing locations of VIN's Swears up and down it should be there. I asked him to show it to me on two cars we had at the shop and He couldn't find it either. After all that I did find it on a 67 firebird and a 70 Cutlass 4D built Kansas city. Cheers. ~BOB
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:43 PM

If that was a W-30 and had some docs to prove I would think it would be worth double what you paid. I don't think there is any way to tell if the block is a w-30 without opening it up but the cylinder heads are a dead giveaway: 71 442 455 should have letter G on cylinder heads and if it were a w-30 it would have H heads. Hard to imagine because: A real w-30 4spd would not have ac or power brakes.
I'm betting it's a real 442 conv. with some desirable options added. Possibly an auto converted to 4spd. which is no easy task.
Keep us posted.
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:48 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
Hi I've restored lots "A" body cars and parted out quite few too. I've looked for and never found a partial VIN behind the heater blower (or box) on any 442 or Cutlass. One of my customers who had access to a police book showing locations of VIN's Swears up and down it should be there. I asked him to show it to me on two cars we had at the shop and He couldn't find it either. After all that I did find it on a 67 firebird and a 70 Cutlass 4D built Kansas city. Cheers. ~BOB
Thanks Bob, unless its well hidden mine is not stamped. Just for chorus sake, that are the other locations he told you about or have found for yourself?
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by dfire25
Thanks Bob, unless its well hidden mine is not stamped. Just for chorus sake, that are the other locations he told you about or have found for yourself?
When it comes to Cutlass and 442. I've only found the last 6 characters of the VIN on the LH frame rail. Over the years I've seen the frame rail stamping with wrong #'s "X"ed out or double stamped with corrected #'s. And one southern parts car with no stamping on the frame. ~BOB
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:16 AM

frame numbers

I found the numbers on the side of the frame below the driver's door.... the last digit was a 5 and not totally legible so they re- wacked it harder just below. So there's a legible 5 below the partial.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Posting for Red4467 from here:
Originally Posted by RED4467
Cant figure out how to add to the prior trail. Paul and scrappie.......please help and add to the prior postings .........the red 442 4sd convert i bought was returned!!!!! I told them the vin on the dashboard, title, motor and trans did not match the vin on the frame......thought the dealer didn't know it was a fake...... But they listed it again! Beware of the ..... 1971 red/white 442 convert w/ ac & 4spd......... 158462, buy a clone for 1/2 the price ............or with "real" documentation for more $'s . Classic folks, thanks for the help. I'm still in the hunt for something nice.