General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 Clone

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:45 PM

442 Clone

Does this phrase incite great anger in you? Are you a true afficiando of 442's and shudder at even the thought of accepting just a boring old Cutlass in 442 clothes?

Then this question is going to anger you; I would like a poll on how many people are ok with clone cars and those who think they are the biggest travesty since inter- brand motor swaps. I have always dreamed of one day owning a real numbers matching four- forty- two, but for most of us due to the stabbing knives of tight finances this will probably be a fleeting mirage in the arid desert of mediocrity.

So, what do you think? If I call my 72' S a 442 after lovingly restoring it, dropping in a 455 and Muncie with bucket seats, will you look at it twice? Of course, if I ever went to sell it I would be totally honest about its artificial bloodline, but I want to be able to say I owned a 442 before I die. Will I be a sinner banished to the depths of Car Hell for eternity?
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Oldsdruid

You must remember that W29 returned to option status in 1972 and without a build sheet it's hard to tell a factory built one.

As long as the car isn't falsely represented at selling time, I'm OK with an appearance clone.
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
As long as the car isn't falsely represented at selling time, I'm OK with an appearance clone.
X2. It's your car. The problem comes when people falsely represent a car for sale. Go read the thread about the 1964 "442" convertible for sale...
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM

I agree with the "your car, do what you want" mentality. That being said, I find a restored Cutlass S just as appealing as a similarly restored 442 so don't follow the logic of 'badging' it as a 442. I'm a purist so I have more of a problem of changing the originality of a car, any make, (ESPECIALLY swapping drivetrains with another make) unless the original stuff is long gone then I say 'have at it'. Just my $.02
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Randy C.

Your last paragraph provides the key statements I needed to see. I like them to be the way they were built but as long as you "advertise" it as it really is, then I am OK with the idea of a "clone" or "tribute car". And yes, I would definitely give your car a good "look-see", just as I do all '68 and '69 A body cars!

Randy C.
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Back in the early days of this hobby, people did the most creative things with drivetrains and car bodys. We put the biggest meanest setup into the smallest lightest body. With the hi-tech offerings of today, some are not my taste and others are, you virtually can do anything you want to a car! The only 2 people you have to please are, #1 your personal likes and dislikes, and #2 the person who ultimately owns the car after you. When I do a car, I look out for #1!!!

On an added note #1.5, there's the wife, because if the wife is not happy, well then ....
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM
TRW

I have no problem with clones. Like was mentioned earlier, as long as they are up front. It's a great way to get a car that looks like the one you always wanted, but couldn't/can't afford.

I'm going to do a repair/resto on my 68 Cutlass S convertible as I drive it. It's going to take a long time, since I want it up and running all Summer. I have been toying with the idea of redoing it like a H/O. I just love the color combo. If I don't go that route, I will probably leave it in it's "S" trim.

Last edited by TRW; April 7th, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM

No problem with a clone, come clean when selling. Clone is ok but the word tribute drives me crazy!!!!
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Green Turd Truck
I want to be able to say I owned a 442 before I die. Will I be a sinner banished to the depths of Car Hell for eternity?
Your car, do what you want.... However, if it is a clone then you will be kidding yourself. If I said I wanted to own a Rolex before I died and bought one on the street in New York Chinatown, could I say to myself I'ved owned a Rolex? Don't think so. You own a Cutlass, nice, but it is not a 442.
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
I agree with the "your car, do what you want" mentality.
Originally Posted by Higgins
Your car, do what you want....
woot.gif...progress

Agreed. Mine is a clone. I give a rats *** what Heffe or Hector or Joe Bob, or Bobby Joe thinks. It's mine.
Don't mind the people at car shows that snub their noses at YOUR car. Half of them don't own one anyways.
As was stated, just don't try to sell it off as a factory 442. If it's sold as a "Clone" or "tribute" that's clarifying it.

99.9% of the time you're going to pay far less for a clone.
All we're talking about is some embossed #'s on a metal VIN plate at that point.
That's what all those guys are forking out thousands of dollars more for......that VIN plate.
Just a piece of metal to me.

All things being the same and all.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 7th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Nothing wrong with "just a Cutlass" your way! I am not a purist, well sort of, but I couldn't get myself to put all the 442 emblems on her that I already had. I had a 69 El Camino SS396 clone and really got tired of all the questions. Now there are very few other than 1 guy that asked me if it was a real 442???? Yes, I did move the trumpets in further after the picks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0638.jpg (71.2 KB, 27 views)
100_0614.jpg (81.7 KB, 27 views)
100_0616.jpg (69.2 KB, 29 views)
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Certifiable car addict...

I have no problem with clones either, providing you're not trying to pull a fast one on someone when you go to sell it (if you even DO want to sell one after putting that much time & energy into YOUR dream car)

That being said, I have driven an '85 GTI since '95, and it's about dead now, but that car has so much that's NOT original anymore, it's easier to list what the original parts are than what I've swapped out on it. Nowhere near the value of classic muscle, and the whole "matching numbers" deal, but it's been a great little car for me for 15+ years now. Won a season championship autocrossing with it. Bracket raced it, hauled more stuff in it than anything I ever thought would fit in a hatchback. camping trips, concerts, festivals, you name it, that car has been there and done it. Lately it's been the fishing rig, carrying canoes and a jonboat around on the roofrack. As long as the car is yours, do whatever makes you happy with it and enjoy every minute you have it. Even a clone isn't a cookie cutter subaru/toyota/honda/etc. that just gets crushed after the first major breakdown or fender bender as soon as the warranty's up.

Life is short. Do what makes YOU happy, and if someone else doesn't like it, tell them to go build their own dream and not nitpick yours.

Anyone want a slightly used soapbox? :-p

-Jeff

Last edited by GTI_Guru; April 7th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Love all Olds

I agree with most of you, It's your car to build and drive or show as you like, as long as you disclose to buyers what it really is your O.K. I bought my 69 442 knowing it did not have a numbers matching engine and tranny and saved enough to build a nice 68 455 from a Toro., and got lucky and found a numbers matching(for year 69) Muncie M-20 4 speed tranny. Next I added a high performance aluminum intake and fabricated my own ram-air set-up and dual snorquel air cleaner. I couldn't be happier with the looks and performance (especially the performance) of my car and will show it this season at Olds and other shows along with the completely #'s matching cars any day. My car is built and performs the way I like it , and I think even the "purists" will appreciate it. Love this forum!
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Certifiable car addict...

@ dster69442
If that's the car you're describing in your profile pic, I'd love to see a bigger photo. That thumbnail doesn't do it justice. Looks awfully clean and very polished. 2 thumbs up on the personalization!
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM

What grill you got? I have a '72 cutlass supreme with 442 grill's and have been deciding whether to swap back to Cutlass grills or just remove the 442 logo
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM

here is a crappy photo of my car, as soon as I get a dry day when not working I will take a better pic and post. Been trying unsuccessfully to post pics for the last year or so, finally figured it out.
Attached Images
11302010013[1].jpg (51.4 KB, 37 views)
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I have no problem with clones and want to buy one...the big problem is people passing clones off as the real deal...just look how many '72 442 verts are on the market at any one time and you know more than half have to be fake (they didn't make many to start with)
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM

It's yours , you payed for it, build what you want.
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dster69442
here is a crappy photo of my car,
sweeeeet

Any plans for an OAI hood in the future ??

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

May I ask why the plastic on the floor under your great looking ride?

Originally Posted by ziff396
Nothing wrong with "just a Cutlass" your way! I am not a purist, well sort of, but I couldn't get myself to put all the 442 emblems on her that I already had. I had a 69 El Camino SS396 clone and really got tired of all the questions. Now there are very few other than 1 guy that asked me if it was a real 442???? Yes, I did move the trumpets in further after the picks.
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM

All Clones are just fine. When someone takes a classic Cutlass and puts Bling Wheels on them, Removes the shocks, puts boom boxes' in trunks, paints them metallic lime Green and all that (Mexicans BS-for Aceshigh ) it will have to be reported immediately!

Have fun!
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
X2. It's your car. The problem comes when people falsely represent a car for sale. Go read the thread about the 1964 "442" convertible for sale...
I agree! they had a "1972 Oldsmobile 442 W-30" convertible for sale on E-bay a while back. When I asked about the discrepancy with the inner fender wells and the VIN, the seller got truly pissy in caps telling me if I do not like the car do not buy it. When I rep;ied that the ad apppeared to be for a fraudulent car, the seller stated that if anyone asks about the VIN they would tell them it was a clone. The funny thing is nowhere in the ad was the word clone and the seller stated only if someone asks about the VIN would that be revealed. That to me is fraud. Different than building a tribute or clone and representing it as such.