General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

4 door cars

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009 | 10:26 AM
ya'll come back now....

4 door cars

since i was told by WMACHINE to spread my wings and post in the main section cause im not a newbie any more, i was wondering is there anyone else on here that has a four door car? i have one that i currently working on (i need to post in the major project section soon), every time i go to a show i try to look for ideas and so far i havent found any yet all two door, and most not cutlasses, but itdosent matter what type of olds it it but am i the only four olds out there or is someone else a four door gal (or guy)?
Old May 6th, 2009 | 10:40 AM
may the Olds be with you

i dont have a 4dr, but i see no problems with them! the performance modifications are as limitless as the 2drs! aesthetic modifications, though, seem to lag a bit for the 4drs as opposed to the 2drs. i thinks the hoods may be the same, though, but dont quote me on that, LOL. best of luck finding, though. ever hear of cardomain? you may be able to sift through members cars on there and uncover some ideas. hope this helps!
Old May 6th, 2009 | 10:47 AM
ya'll come back now....

never herad of them..got a website? and ill check them out
Old May 6th, 2009 | 10:57 AM
may the Olds be with you

cardomain.com

you can sift through by make and model, hopefully you can find some ideas
Old May 6th, 2009 | 12:56 PM

I have a 4 door. Kinda.

I bought a really nice 4 door 1965 98 LS. But used it as a parts car to build my 65 98 convertible. Needed a frame, front end, bumpers and lots of other parts. It was kind of a sin because the LS was sweet, if I had not owned the convert I would have kept the LS. I wish Olds made a four door covertible, I would be all over that. Good luck with your ride, enjoy all those doors.
Old May 6th, 2009 | 03:36 PM
Registered

I have a five door, does that count? and 4 sunvisors.

I saw a really nice '69 (I think?) 4 door hardtop Cutlass last Sunday at an Olds dustoff I went to. Light blue with a blue cloth interior.
Four doors are cool, for the man (or woman) that hears a different drummer drumming so to say.
You see a thousand 2 doors for every one of them at the cruise-ins and they're always surrounded with people basking in their reflected glory, (along with wagons. )
Seen one two door you've seen them all.

Confucius say...
"Always better to have too many doors than not enough many"

Sparedoors rule!
Old May 6th, 2009 | 04:08 PM
Oldsdruid

No problem here with four-doors. I have a 1976 Regency sedan plus the trusty old Gray Ghost Custom Cruiser wagon. My daily driver until murder flashed in Bambi's eyes was a four-door 1987 Dodge K-car that I loved as much as any car I've ever owned, and more than I loved some of them.

Lots of folks turn up their nose and view them only as parts cars, but a four-door hardtop was ALWAYS top of the food chain. Only convertibles and high-line wagons outranked them in any body series.

Olds called them "Holiday Sedans" with good reason. Some years they were "Sport Sedan" or "Holiday Sports Sedan". The name inferred freedom and being on your way somewhere to have a good time, in a stylish and powerful car.

Plus have you ever watched an elegant lady seat herself in the back of a four-door hardtop? Poetry in motion, dad.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 6th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 6th, 2009 | 04:37 PM

I love my 1967 4 door Delta 88
83000 original one owner car
almost done with the body, bought my original paint color V
Old May 7th, 2009 | 12:32 AM

4door

I dont know why 4 doors dont get more respect than they do - I personally like the shape better than some of 2 door cutlass. Seem to be a rare breed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (94.1 KB, 22 views)
Old May 7th, 2009 | 04:13 AM

I love 4 door hardtops. My 71 98 is a 4 door hartop.
Old May 7th, 2009 | 06:19 AM
Trying to remember member

Danielle, you said you are looking for ideas. Ideas for what? What is it that you're wanting to do? Restore to stock? Modify? Make it a hotrod or custom?

Any old car is collectible, and 4-doors are no exception!
Though the majority of the '60s-'80 Olds out there are "performance" versions, they certainly all are not! 2-doors have always had a more glamorous image than 4-doors. They were not used for "performance" versions of models because they are heavier than 2-doors, and thus counter-productive to going fast. 4-doors were the work horses, the "family cars". Very common in their day (big production numbers), and widely used. Like 6 cylinder versions, they were the least glamorous of the models, especially the 4-door sedans vs. the 4-door hardtops. So less have been "collected". And because of that, they are more unusual now as you can tell at car shows!
Old May 7th, 2009 | 08:53 AM

Heres my 4 door. 64 F-85, 455, headers, 700 trans, 2.78 posi, 14x6 with 225/70s 15x7 255/60s, the rest stock.

Heres it at Byron last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a9Vs...e=channel_page
Attached Images
steveOscomp 052.jpg (119.4 KB, 7 views)
steveOscomp 053.jpg (42.6 KB, 5 views)
Old May 7th, 2009 | 01:26 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Danielle's 71
since i was told by WMACHINE to spread my wings and post in the main section cause im not a newbie any more, i was wondering is there anyone else on here that has a four door car? i have one that i currently working on (i need to post in the major project section soon), every time i go to a show i try to look for ideas and so far i havent found any yet all two door, and most not cutlasses, but itdosent matter what type of olds it it but am i the only four olds out there or is someone else a four door gal (or guy)?
Your lament of not seeing many four door cars has its foundations in four door cars being perceived as the family car whether with or without a post. Four door post cars were considered your Grandpa's car in the 1950s and 1960s. Not at all cool! If a car wasn't a two door hardtop or a convertible, it wasn't squat. My how things have changed.

Now all the car makers are producing the rebirth of a Pinto station wagon with hybrid power and trying to find a common name to describe it. POS?
Old May 7th, 2009 | 02:49 PM
Not old but Olds

Originally Posted by I8AF85
I dont know why 4 doors dont get more respect than they do - I personally like the shape better than some of 2 door cutlass. Seem to be a rare breed.
I agree, I had a 72 cutlass 4 door and I like it better then the 2 doors of that same year, with that said it is a hit or miss with me, some of the cutlass look better 2 door and some 4 door IMO, I will never hate on a car because of doors
Old May 8th, 2009 | 07:40 AM
ya'll come back now....

[quote=wmachine;79606]Danielle, you said you are looking for ideas. Ideas for what? What is it that you're wanting to do? Restore to stock? Modify? Make it a hotrod or custom?

im restoring it back the way it was when it frist came out (except the motor maybe, and def. losing the vinyal top) only problem is i dont know that much about oldmobiles... i was just curious as to why people didnt see the beauty in 4 doors as they do in 2 doors some of us do some of dont.. sure its not i 442 or anything but to be honset i like more then the 442 in a way
Old May 8th, 2009 | 07:41 AM
ya'll come back now....

Originally Posted by I8AF85

x2...i love the shape also
Old May 8th, 2009 | 10:01 AM

4 doors

More is better is it not? Olds wagons have 4 doors,and that's what I have now. As a teenager in the 70's it was like a rule that 4 doors were uncool, and to drive one was an invitation to get the business.

60's and 70's Cars that have too many doors are probably out numbered by 2 door cars, I seldom see them for sale, probably most ended up as donors.I know myself having hacked up a bunch of 4 door cars to canibilize for parts that work on 2 door cars such as fenders,hoods, grilles taillights and what have you besides mechanical stuff. I also remember not giving second thought to boneing out perfectly good bodied 4 door cars after yanking out the engine and trans, I am sure most met the crusher fate. In the mid 70's I worked at a salvage yard and we squished hundreds of them, a higher percentage of 2 door cars got rescued but not all, I mashed a quite few now desireable cars during the summers of 1975 and 1976 (don't ask you really don't want to know) I am sure I was not the only one,heck I was getting $5.00 an hour a kings ransom to me.