General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

? 350 or 455 ?

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
what the heck is plastigage lol...
http://www.plastigaugeusa.com/how.html

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthre...1251323&page=2

By the way, you DO have a Chassis Service Manual, don't you?

All of this is covered in the manual.

- Eric
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:58 PM

I didn't realize the 455 had it all there. I figure that all the 350 brkts are there, and all you have to do is lay them to the side when you take the 350 out. that way you don't have to disconnect it all. You don't have to disconnect the AC hoses if it still works and the P/steer pump is still hooked up and no leaks. P/S and alt are all in one brkt, just unbolt and lay to the side. The distributer is no big deal, just go with what you have. I said the water pump, pulleys, fan only because everything lines up just as before. You have to use the 350 motor mounts, they bolt in the same spot on the 455.
I have no idea why you need an adapter for the starter, it will bolt in the same spot as the 350. You can use the 350 starter, it is the same. I'm not sure about the Toro flex plate, you might use the 350 flex plate just in case.
Since your car has A/C, your rad should be good. You nay take and have it cleaned, to make sure it is good to go.
If and when you go to do this, make sure you have an "OLDSMOBILE" buddy to help you. For the most part, it should be a weekend job. Super easy.
Headers will work, 350 exhaust manifolds will bolt on, the pipes will need some work.

Gene
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM
NOVICE car nut

Ok , now I get it on the plastigauge , thanks....Gene ,the 455 was out of a Toro FWD , so the starter was on the passenger side of the motor , which would now interfere or have a clearance issue on the Cutlass....so I have to swap the mounting bracket or adaptor from the 350 starter , so I can use the Toro starter on the drivers side of the Cutlass where it belongs...thats what Joe told me , but he put it much better then I did ....I will have to use the 350 flywheel , cause the Toro one got a tooth chipped , if I decide to go with the 455 , but as of lately im looking at trying to resolve the 350 problems and keep that motor in there for now if I can fix it....if not....its 455 time
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM

You can use the 350 starter, it's fine. That way you don't have to take anything apart. The 350's with A/C has the heavy duty starter.
take all the brkts and pulleys off the 455, install the engine. Install the bottm pulley and line up the water pump pulley. If it lines up with the bottom pulley,if it don't install the 350 water pump. Lay all the brkts over onto the engine and bolt them down, no mess no fuss. Finish up and drive away.
Gene
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
You can use the 350 starter, it's fine. That way you don't have to take anything apart. The 350's with A/C has the heavy duty starter.
take all the brkts and pulleys off the 455, install the engine. Install the bottm pulley and line up the water pump pulley. If it lines up with the bottom pulley,if it don't install the 350 water pump. Lay all the brkts over onto the engine and bolt them down, no mess no fuss. Finish up and drive away.
Gene
ahhh , thats great on the starter , will save some time.....if all the pulleys and brakets are already lined up on the 455 ( meaning the bottom pulley and the water pump are already lined up ) why would I have to check and see if it lines up ? I can understand taking all that off to install motor for clearance , so I dont have to take radiator out and the support and all that other stuff , im just not understanding why these parts wouldnt line up if they are already lined up on the engine.....maybe im not understanding something.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
NOVICE car nut

a couple of things i did not mention

info on my 350.....The oil pan is crushed prior to me owning car....pretty bad , and maybe it messed up the oil pump , not to mention it put a hole in the oil pan that someone put steel stick on or something and now its starting to leak....I did buy a oil pan a couple years ago , but it was an aftermarket one (chrome ) so im not sure how it will fit.....other then that , the carb is messed up to , it doesnt bog like the one on the 455 did , but if you floor it from a start , the motor seems real weak ( wont spin tire ) then about half way through the intersection the tire will start to spin a little .....im not sure if is a sign of a worn engine or what......the top of the motor seems like it was rebuilt at some point ( I dont hear the typical lifter tick noise ) not to mention the motor does have a mean sound to it , like someone put some goodies in it at some point....but im not to worried about the carb just yet , once the engine problem is resolved , then i will move on to the carb.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... if all the pulleys and brakets are already lined up on the 455 (meaning the bottom pulley and the water pump are already lined up) why would I have to check and see if it lines up?
No, the idea is to avoid having to swap out the water pumps.

You check to be sure that the pulleys from the 350 line up with the water pump that's already on the 455. It may all fit, or there may be a slight depth difference between the two water pumps, which would require switching the 350 pump onto the 455.

- Eric
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by MDchanic
No, the idea is to avoid having to swap out the water pumps.

You check to be sure that the pulleys from the 350 line up with the water pump that's already on the 455. It may all fit, or there may be a slight depth difference between the two water pumps, which would require switching the 350 pump onto the 455.

- Eric
Im sorry , what I meant was........the 455 already has EVERYTHING on it....
pulleys , belts , water pump , alt , power steering , and the brackets from the 68 Toro that I pulled the motor from.... there are no 350 parts on the 455 at all , I never removed any of those parts off the 455 when pulled the motor , so the question was .....why cant I put the 455 in the Cutlass with all the brackets and pulleys that the motor came with ? then I wont have to worry about them lining up or not because they already are......but i do realize that the wires may not hook up to the 455 parts and that some of the other components are in a different location and may interfere in some way.....like the water pump being longer on the 455 and the fan now hits the radiator or something ....if so then i have no choice but to swap out the brackets and pulleys and other components.....

Last edited by oldsguybry; April 22nd, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
NOVICE car nut

once again , thanks to everyone trying to help and put up with me on this matter , I REALLY appreciate it .....I would of found out the hard way otherwise
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

...why cant I put the 455 in the Cutlass with all the brackets and pulleys that the motor came with ?
Because the size and layout of the Toronado and Cutlass engine compartments are a bit different, and if you stick with the 350 hardware, you know it will fit without a problem.

If you want to try it with all the stuff still bolted on to the Toro motor, then go ahead - it may work fine. The thing is, if it doesn't quite have clearance in one spot or another, then you'll be swapping parts with the motor half-installed, and it will be a bigger pain in the butt.

The things that definitely won't swap directly are the starter, the oil pan, and the oil filter standoff. Other than that, you can check the Chassis Parts Manual to see whether part numbers are the same or different, and even if they're different, there's still a chance it could all fit.

It all depends on you point of view, really.

- Eric
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
NOVICE car nut

yea , when it finally gets nice outside , Ill post some pics as I take the 350 apart to see if i can fix the knock problem first....oh MDchanic , I do have a Chiltons repair manual that i forgot i had , covering Olds Cutlass RWD 70-87 and wouldnt you know it....they have a engine rebuilding section with a whole page on Plastigauge ....he he he...so that will come in handy this summer also

Last edited by oldsguybry; April 22nd, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
NOVICE car nut

heres some pictures

Well it was nice enough outside to take a few photos.......1st pic is the car itself , and 2nd pic made me sad it seems the sandblasting , acid spraying , and POR-15 must of missed some areas in the driver side rear qtrs....there were a few holes so after cleaning it up and adding the POR , I put bondo to fill holes and looks like some rust is getting through again.....3rd pic shows rust creeping on the front fender lower on the driver side , that is one of the jobs this summer is to remove inside fender supports and deal with the rust....4th pic is the passenger rear qtr which seems to of held up with no rust , never got around to the bondo on this side , but obviously did the same process that I did on the driver side...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
56904.jpg (106.2 KB, 11 views)
70822.jpg (100.4 KB, 11 views)
3902.jpg (105.5 KB, 9 views)
11149.jpg (98.6 KB, 10 views)
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
NOVICE car nut

more pics

1st pic on this one is the passenger front fender lower , which behind the chrome stripping had a BFH in the fender , so i cleaned it up the best i could without removing the support , added some bondo , and thats what I get 4 years later...2nd pic is the motor of course....that I now named " Sir-Knock-alot " and the 3rd photo is rather discouraging....along with the 4th photo...looks like a serious gasket leak
Attached Images
14046.jpg (105.0 KB, 7 views)
24740.jpg (121.6 KB, 8 views)
25042.jpg (106.2 KB, 11 views)
78400.jpg (102.5 KB, 9 views)
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... I do have a Chiltons repair manual that i forgot i had
Helpful, but the Chilton manual sucks. I keep a stack of them in case of "emergencies," but I always get a factory manual once I get a car.

I would strongly recommend getting a factory Chassis Service Manual, or at least downloading one (for free) from WildAboutCars.com.

Thanks for the pictures! Nice car!

- Eric
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
NOVICE car nut

more pics

1st pic is an interior shot......2nd pic.....the rare interior seating option for that year..........jk I put the seats from 68 Toro in the Cutlass.... and the 3rd pic is a surprise while Walleye fishing up north , a small Sturgeon.....a couple of gates on the dam broke from the greedy power hungry paper mill just up from us , so now the river is a raging torant and is about 10ft deeper or so then it was the year before....the side we were on was pretty calm , but the river was all stired up , so a wasted trip.
Attached Images
8975.jpg (119.0 KB, 11 views)
34661.jpg (106.9 KB, 12 views)
50558.jpg (127.8 KB, 15 views)
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
NOVICE car nut

yay no knock

Took the CS out for a family cruise after our Easter grub at my moms house today......and wouldnt you know it , the car never knocked once that I could hear I dont get it at all!