General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

200-4r Lock-up Converter Wiring Conection

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM

200-4r Lock-up Converter Wiring Conection

Installing a 200-4r from an '81 Olds98 into a 70 Cutlass (350 4bbl, single exhaust). I have the harness from the trans to the vacuum control switch (including the VCswitch). The question is: how do I connect the blue wire and the green wire to the Cutlass electrical system to give me "lock-up" while in OD, same as in the big Olds?
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM

I'd do some internet searches, especially at aftermarket transmission vendors' sites, to find a kit. Hopefully someone here has a recommendation for you.

For what it's worth, the factory put some pretty complicated logic into the TCC control. For example, the mid-80s 442s wouldn't lock up the clutch unless:
1/ The engine had been running for at least ~2.5 minutes.
2/ The coolant has reached operating temp.
3/ The trans is in 3rd or 4th gear.
4/ The vehicle speed is over ~40 mph.
5/ The throttle is not open more than ~1/2.
6/ The throttle is not at idle/coast.
7/ The brake is not applied.

I doubt any aftermarket kits take all that into consideration. All this stuff together makes the vehicle more drivable, but you can get by with less.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM

I've spent several hours on different sites, plus searching manuals to try and find which wires go where. The 200-4r comes out of a non-ECM '81 Olds 98. Just two wires: the blue and the green.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:46 PM
72 Olds CS

I googled how to wire 200r4 and found a nice diagram here

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388275

I know nothing about trans so I can't vouch for this data but it looks easy enough
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Heh
I have a LOT less in the '85 442.
Found the pin on the ALDL? under dash diagnostic connector that when grounded locks the TC. CSM helped greatly there. Ran a jumper to a switch that lies on the other seat. Connected other end via gator clip to the glovebox latch.

I turn it on and off as I wish.

If you forget to turn it off, it will protest profusely when you stop.
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

You all need to go back and read the first post. This 200-4R and associated wiring is from a NON-CCC car. There is no computer, there is no ALDL connector. This setup was used on diesels and non-CCC cars and trucks throughout the 1980s. The system uses a vacuum switch to unlock the converter when you open the throttle in fourth (manifold vacuum drops, switch opens, converter disconnects, just like the brake switch). The fourth gear pressure sensor only allows lockup in fourth. I don't have the wiring here at work, but I'll try to look it up.
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM

In my installation, I used the brake switch to control a relay that energizes the wire going into the 200-4R terminal on the side of the transmission. Of the four pins showing, it was the upper left one that is used. The power to the relay is a key on source, and I added an on-off switch to prevent lockup in town driving.
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Again, you can certainly hook up the lockup signal in a number of ways, and all of them work. Keep in mind that the OP already has the factory wiring and switch from a non-CCC application and just wants to know how to hook them up, not re-engineer the system.
Old June 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM

I might be wrong, but going from an 81 model year to a 70 is going to require a little bit of wiring re-engineering simply because the 70 does not have the required wiring in place. If the function of the green and/or blue wire is not known, I prefer the simplest approach, start from scratch and keep it simple, making future possible troubleshooting that much easier.
OP said he spent several hours looking at manuals and online, with no success.
All that is required is one wire connected to the upper left terminal of the trans connector. Energize it in 4th gear, convertor locks, hit brakes to kill circuit, it unlocks. Put a manual switch in the hot line and you have complete control. Doesn't get any simpler then that.
Old June 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
I might be wrong,
You apparently are not aware that GM used lockup converters in many vehicles that were not computer controlled. As the OP has noted, he already has the wiring harness for this non-computer controlled lockup donor car. The harness neither knows nor cares that the car is a 70 or an 81. It just needs power and I think the other wire is from the pressure switch in the trans, but I need to check. He is simply asking where they connect to. I don't have the manuals here at work, but I do at home.
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Administrator

I think this is what your looking for disregard colors:

tcc_circuitnoLED-1.jpg
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Heh
I have a LOT less in the '85 442.
Found the pin on the ALDL? under dash diagnostic connector that when grounded locks the TC. CSM helped greatly there. Ran a jumper to a switch that lies on the other seat. Connected other end via gator clip to the glovebox latch.

I turn it on and off as I wish.

If you forget to turn it off, it will protest profusely when you stop.
Redneck!!!
I'm surprised you used a switch instead of just stripping the wires and holding them together with your teeth.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks to all who answered the request. I now have some options to think about. Also found some info from Mitchel "on demand".