General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1965 Continuing Come-Apart Adventure

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM

1965 Continuing Come-Apart Adventure

Got a little further with my take-down of a 65 Cutlass 2 door hardtop. Once I pulled my lower back muscle, that was it. Don't seem to get very far at one time, but slow and easy will finally get there. Now doing the dishes tonight, that was painful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1965 Cutlass Feb 4 2013.jpg (74.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by HonestDave; May 4th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Justin

Sorry to hear about your back . I think you been movin pretty quick today was the first time I worked on mine in a few months.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM
same but different

Glad to hear you got some stuff done. The weather here sure won't let you do any thing, but keep up. I don't know if I should shovel snow or mow grass.

I know back pain can get you down, it really lets you know how much you can do,all things considered.

These project cars take a long time. You know they are never done right?
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your back Dave. Glad you got a little farther. When I go to work on the car I take 3 Advil before I start and 2 more when I get done.
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Dave, I know how you feel. I broke my ankle in early Feb. Been in phy. therapy for last 2couple weeks, and probably for another 4. Ankle is still swelles up and real tough to walk on, much less crawl around in, over and under the car. Hel, I' m not even back to work yet.
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Here's an interesting thought: In the old days we used to just throw any motor in any year car and make it work. As I get closer to doing something with this engine, would anyone put it in a 66-67? Are these old enough now that most people would want the number 2 head engine only in a 65?
The motor sat for years, I think, but the timing chain is pretty tight and compression seems to be returning to some degree. Three cyls were at 180, the rest between 145 and 180. After a bit of oil another one popped up from 157 to 180. I'm thinking to get a rad on this and run it a while to see if they all come back and stay.
These Olds engines are fairly expensive to rebuild, so I'd like to save it if possible. I can either sell it to someone who needs it, or save it for a future project.
Any thoughts at all would be appreciated. Never know what direction I'm going until I get there !!
Attached Images
z1 (2).jpg (102.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by HonestDave; May 5th, 2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM

hey dave, sorry to hear about your back, mine goes out now if i sneeze wrong, looks like you saved me the rear deck filler panel
as for the engine, seem to see more people asking for the brackets and pulleys now than the entire engine. and why is that engine pontiac blue? and what carb is on it?

Last edited by stan 65 cutlass; May 5th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
as for the engine, seem to see more people asking for the brackets and pulleys now than the entire engine. and why is that engine pontiac blue? and what carb is on it?
It's a Carter AFB Compettition Series. I'm thinking if the motor runs okay and doesn't smoke the blues, I'd like to see it go in a car. Only want to piece it out if it needs rebuilding.
Engine looks like it was rebuilt at some point. Whole thing is repainted from some years ago.
Attached Images
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=HonestDave;542389]Here's an interesting thought: In the old days we used to just throw any motor in any year car and make it work. As I get closer to doing something with this engine, would anyone put it in a 66-67? Are these old enough now that most people would want the number 2 head engine only in a 65?
The motor sat for years, I think, but the timing chain is pretty tight and compression seems to be returning to some degree. Three cyls were at 180, the rest between 145 and 180. After a bit of oil another one popped up from 157 to 180. I'm thinking to get a rad on this and run it a while to see if they all come back and stay.
These Olds engines are fairly expensive to rebuild, so I'd like to save it if possible. I can either sell it to someone who needs it, or save it for a future project.
Any thoughts at all would be appreciated. Never know what direction I'm going until I get there !! [/QUOte

the compression coming up after the oil was put in the cylinder,is because it temporarily seals the rings. it may not stay when the oil burns off.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
the compression coming up after the oil was put in the cylinder,is because it temporarily seals the rings. it may not stay when the oil burns off.
Quite right. I won't know until I run it for a while and keep checking it. All depends on why the readings were low. If it hadn't been sitting for years, I would be more concerned, but I've had a number of engines that seemed to perk up again after sitting long periods. I'm an optimist at heart.