General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1965-6 Cutlass turn signal switch help

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2017, 12:22 PM

Angry 1965-6 Cutlass turn signal switch help

I am trying to install a new turn signal switch, but cannot get the end curved plug through the bottom of the shift housing. The end molex plug is not the same curve as the steering column tube. I had to cut the old wires to get the switch out. Has anyone had this problem? I have the factory manual which is not very much help, it says you just put the wiring down through the steering column and plug it in to the harness. Ha! I would appreciate any help at this point. The only way I can see is to take the terminals out of the molex plug, but it takes a special tool.
Old April 13th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Administrator

You can remove the wires from the plug with a jewelers screw driver. The pins have 1 locking tab just insert the screwdriver and bend it down. Take a picture of the new plug with the wire locations before you do. I'm lucky as I have all type of extractors from my old aircraft days.

See if your local auto parts store has this tool:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0.oap?pt=N0221

Old April 14th, 2017, 05:37 PM

The switch bolts to the collar, and the collar twists onto the tube. Remove the collar, install switch, twist collar back on. Done.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
The switch bolts to the collar, and the collar twists onto the tube. Remove the collar, install switch, twist collar back on. Done.

DING DING DING we got a winner.^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:32 PM

Thanks guys I got the plug off and the switch went in ok. Now it did this before I took it apart, when it's together, the whole shifter housing wobbles when you move the shift lever, and the whole collar can be pushed down toward the dash. According to the manual there is supposed to be a washer and a thrust washer below to prevent this from happening. I think the column was messed around with from the previous owner. Any ideas why it's so wobbly? I may have to change the column out?