General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1956 oldsmobile questions

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM
1956 oldsmobile

1956 oldsmobile questions

here we go..first question..what is the tin can by the passangers side hood hinge that has a hose out of it.? second question what goes where the yellow dot is i marked on the drivers side engine compartment there is bolt holes..last how do you take off these trim pieces and while we are at it..hows the best way to do the rest of the trim..thanks from a newbee....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
11.jpg (62.9 KB, 47 views)
22.jpg (57.2 KB, 37 views)
33.jpg (75.9 KB, 41 views)
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM

First thing the tin can thing is your heater blower motor and the hose is a heater hose. The trim can be removed by slipping a thin plastic blade between the trim and the body and collapsing the spring clip, work from one end so you can see and locate the next clip. I don't know what went on your firewall with all those holes unless it was for your atomic eye box, most of them were mounted on the enter fender well but it seams I have heard some one say they had one on the firewall also, mines as smooth as a baby's butt so this is just a guess on my part... Hope this helps....Tedd
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM

My MISTAKE, I didn't notice the yellow dot. I also don't know what that can thing is, might be a 56 thing, don't remember one on my 55...Tedd
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM
1956 oldsmobile

thanks for the trim advice...im guessing after im done i will need new ones hahaha...clips that is..hey do you know how i can disassembly and remove the windshield wiper assemblys...thanks for the quick reply
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt
here we go..first question..what is the tin can by the passangers side hood hinge that has a hose out of it.? .
That's the vacuum canister that basically provides assistance to the the power brake booster.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM

I've got a tool for wiper arms that I've had forever. It's a Snap-on #JT-85

I don't know if they still make them but someone should have something similar.
Attached Images
100_5791.jpg (46.8 KB, 32 views)
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:10 PM
1956 oldsmobile

thanks 59 59 59....another piece to the ? now i know..thanks
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:15 PM
1956 oldsmobile

highwayman thanks..im gonna have to get one of those..i spent awhile looking at them trying to figure it out,,no luck...just wish there was a book on disassembly..
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM

here we go..first question..what is the tin can by the passangers side hood hinge that has a hose out of it.? second question what goes where the yellow dot is i marked on the drivers side engine compartment there is bolt holes..last how do you take off these trim pieces and while we are at it..hows the best way to do the rest of the trim..thanks from a newbee....

As already noted the cannister is a vaccuum reservoir to assist the power brakes. In your third picture, the box on the driver side covers the left side vent. It is removed by the bolts around it, but has sticky gasket to it to seal it. The holes on the box where your yellow dot is the location to mount the box for an autronic eye system which I have on my car.

As for the trim in your third picture, you need to take the interior door panels off. Each door has an inspection cover and access holes where you can unscrew the clip nut holding the molding clips to the trim. It is not easy as there is probably rust on the nuts.

If you don't have one already you should buy yourself a shop manual.
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:44 PM
1956 oldsmobile

thanks for the help..i do have a shop manual but it lacks on alot,,such as trim removal..windshield wiper removal..and removing door glass from the chrome trim..ect course its all the stuff i need at this point...about the autronic eye box ..that makes perfect sence since i have the bolt holes on the dash...thanks again
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM

thanks for the help..i do have a shop manual but it lacks on alot,,such as trim removal..windshield wiper removal..and removing door glass from the chrome trim..ect course its all the stuff i need at this point...about the autronic eye box ..that makes perfect sence since i have the bolt holes on the dash...thanks again
I found a photo of my autronic eye box.
Attached Images
DSC05968.jpg (78.9 KB, 31 views)