1962 Starfire Generator to Alternator

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM

1962 Starfire Generator to Alternator

Hello Folks,

After much effort to make the original harness work, I have located a replacement harness for my 62 to get a fresh start. But it is of course wired for a generator...

Can anyone advise me per the diagram where exactly to connect my wires for the conversion from generator to alternator?

I read elsewhere to connect the old generator wires together and tape them off. Done. And I have wired the new alternator as shown.

But what do I do with the original red and green wires from the fuse block? Do they need to connect to the voltage regulator, tied into the new red and green from the alternator? Taped off? The red from fuse block already has an eyelet that fits the horn relay post. Am I missing a jumper wire back to the voltage regulator?

Thanks!
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Wiring A.jpg (28.9 KB, 41 views)
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:57 AM

What alternator do you have? Are you using an external regulator? Do you have a charge indicator lite on the dash?
Old October 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Stellar,
I have installed a newly rebuilt Delco Remy 10SI, external voltage regulator. The original VR and connections are shown in the attached image.

And there is a GEN light in the dash. I read elsewhere that: "...the warning light simply has +12V on one side and is connected to the regulator on the other side. The regulator grounds this terminal when the alternator is not charging, causing the light to illuminate. When the alternator is charging, you get +12V on the no. 1 terminal, so there is equal voltage on both sides of the lamp and thus the lamp does not light."

I am confused how this can be if the Blue and the brown are taped off together, though...
Steven
Attached Images
Old November 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM

How did this pan out for you?
Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM

Mark,
Thanks for asking. I will not be able to find out until tomorrow, but I was able to ascertain that I needed a new voltmeter. Now my battery reads 12v...

More later,
Steven