Turn Signal Problems (Rear Lights)

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Turn Signal Problems (Rear Lights)

whats up everyone, my 1977 olds delta 88 is still acting up, im still trying to find out whats causing both lights in the back to blink when i use the left turn signal? the front signals dont have any problems, the dash signals no problems either. only problem is the back lights, one of the blubs keeps blowing out.. i checked out the bulb socket and found one of the sockets looked fried, what do you guys think could this be my problems after all? a fried bulb socket? if so whats the best way to replace.. all input will be welcome, thanks in advance
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Has anyone before you tried to install a third center brake light? Or a trailer harness? I have seen where lots of issues stem from those.

If not, then i am guessing the TS switch could be the culprit.
Do the 4way flashers work right?
Check wiring for pinching (the obvious stuff) and get the sockets fixed up also. I am not sure if the latter would cause bulbs to actually burn out, but arcing on the base can burn the contacts beyond any electrical contact.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Has anyone before you tried to install a third center brake light? Or a trailer harness? I have seen where lots of issues stem from those.

If not, then i am guessing the TS switch could be the culprit.
Do the 4way flashers work right?
Check wiring for pinching (the obvious stuff) and get the sockets fixed up also. I am not sure if the latter would cause bulbs to actually burn out, but arcing on the base can burn the contacts beyond any electrical contact.
naw no trailer or anything like that, yup hazards work, do you think the socket can cause this problem?
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I do not think bad sockets would cause both rear lights to blink on left.
With the TS OFF, measure continunity from the left rear turn signal bulb filament to the right one. If it is open, the TS switch would be the most likely cause. If you measure a short, then you have a short between the left and right circuits, most likely from a pinched wire (rather unlikely).

Usually, a bad socket would just keep that bulb from lighting, or in some cases, short the circuit to ground, blowing fuses.
Hope this helps...
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I do not think bad sockets would cause both rear lights to blink on left.
With the TS OFF, measure continunity from the left rear turn signal bulb filament to the right one. If it is open, the TS switch would be the most likely cause. If you measure a short, then you have a short between the left and right circuits, most likely from a pinched wire (rather unlikely).

Usually, a bad socket would just keep that bulb from lighting, or in some cases, short the circuit to ground, blowing fuses.
Hope this helps...
naw bro, when TS's off i have no problems, only when i use the TS's to the left or right i get problems in the back lights (all rear lights blink) except the rear cornering light, back up light, licence plate lights these are fine.. thanks for responding too
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by wizzy01
naw bro, when TS's off i have no problems,
Understand. I was just helping you to isolate where the problem lies - process of elimination. There are up to 6 independent switches in that turn signal switch and troubleshooting is difficult. I think the switch is the trouble, but wanted to check the cheaper possibility first.
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Check the grounds to the rear lights sounds like one of the lights has a bad ground and is pulling its ground thru the other light causing it to blink. You can use a ohm meter to do this determine which which wire goes to ground in the socket touch a probe to it and the other end to a good ground on the body it should have a reading the same as touching the two probes together. If the reading is not 0 or very close locate the ground to that light and repair.
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM

Understand. I was just helping you to isolate where the problem lies - process of elimination. There are up to 6 independent switches in that turn signal switch and troubleshooting is difficult. I think the switch is the trouble, but wanted to check the cheaper possibility first.
yes i understand, the process of elimination and thank you for keep up with me, i was just lettin you know that with the TS off i have no problems...i also found out that when i go over a bump the bright light blue signal in the dash go on which also makes the right side tail light goes out until i tap the lens then, all the tail lights work fine, what about the headlight switch? can that be a problem? when my headlights are on the turn signals in the rear works fine thought i just add that...thank for the help more will be loved
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:12 AM

i checked the TS switch with a new TS switch and the problem is still there, i didnt replace it in the SC just went under the dash and pulled the wires from the wheel and stuck em in the New TS switch, no change
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Check those grounds. if the high beam light flickers on and off(blue light in dash) it sounds like something in the dash cluster either has a bad connection or a burnt foil path in the gauge cluster. Has anyone ever put a system in it? Look for hacked up wiring in the dash area. A bad ground will cause seemingly unrelated problems to show up. Your best bet is to check a wiring diagram and look for common grounding points behind the dash. I bet you find one or more broken or lose. might want to check the trunk for bad grounds as well, but i think you will most likley find issues behind the dash.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:08 AM

just an update my alt went out, and had to replace and i notice all my lights in the rear are working prefect, any input as if the alt can create problems like this?
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Geezer

i checked out the bulb socket and found one of the sockets looked fried, what do you guys think could this be my problems after all? a fried bulb socket? if so whats the best way to replace.. all input will be welcome, thanks in advance
Yes, a bad bulb socket can be the cause of issues. I'd replace that thing, maybe both in the back.

For as long as I can remember, which is too long, GM used the crappiest, sorriest, cheapest bulb sockets and connectors of all automakers.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM

sup fellas, im back with an update on the light problem i been having after 3 months the bandit is back, now when i use the right TS all lights in the rear even the lincense plates lights and the high beam indicater is blinking too, but when i turn my headlights on the right signal dont do nothing just the right indicater comes on but not blink, but for some reason the far right rear light goes out sometimes. After driving around for awhile the light will come back on, oh when i step on my breaks the front parking light comes on as well as the rear break lights. oldsmobile kings need your help thanks..
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Sounds like an intermittant short from the right blinker circuit to the running light circuit. Suspect the front right or rear right lights, AND also the instrument cluster wiring.

Have you looked up under the dash for hacked up wiring or broken connectors?
Might be good to pull the cluster and inspect it. The high beam indicator points to the cluster.

Rust chunks in the outside bulb sockets can cause this, a broken internal socket spring (behind the insulator/terminal plate), OR a bulb that was installed with the contacts shifted 90 degrees.

Did you do a good socket inspection earlier? You will need to somehow push the wires into the sockets to push the terminal / insulator plate out.

As for the brake lights turning on the parking lights, I suspect the turn signal switch or hazzard switch, but try to find that pesky short before working on this issue.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 27th, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM

gotcha lady72 thanks for responding, i did a minor inspect of the scocket, wil be back with an update

Last edited by wizzy01; August 30th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM

hey lady72 were is the light circuit, so i can start there
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM

The running light filaments are usually fed by brown wires going into the bulb sockets. The other colored (blue or green) wires are for the turn indicator filaments (2 filaments in one bulb). A short from the brown wire to one of the colored ones can cause the issue you are having.
Did you take apart the turn signal sockets and look for the above mentioned possibilities?
What about the instrument cluster?
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:11 PM

this is what ive done, i took the rear light sockets out and inspect those all is good except one socket has dry gunk in it all the others are ok, is that the sockets you talk about?
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM

Yep, the rear one and the front one. Were you able to see under the fiber disk inside it that has the contacts on it? Need to look at the spring under there... Are these plastic or metal sockets?
The dried out dunk is probably old grease that can be (and should be)removed.
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM

sorry double post

Last edited by wizzy01; September 1st, 2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: double post
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM

yes these are plastic sockets with metal prongs inside, what is fiber disk inside? after checking the sockets should my next my be under dash or under carpet? what about the main lamp switch? thanks for helping and keeping in touch..
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM

Okay, knowing that these are plastic sockets, there are no fiber disks or springs inside. Do the two metal tabs look okay? If they were shorted together in any way, then your problem would occure...

Next would be to follow the sockets' wiring (front and back) as best as you can to see if it has gotten pinched or damaged anywhere. No need to unbundle it. If the interior has ever been apart or amps added, etc, then improper reinstallation can result in pinched wiring.

If the wiring looks okay, time to pull the instrument cluster and have a look behind there.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut

For as long as I can remember, which is too long, GM used the crappiest, sorriest, cheapest bulb sockets and connectors of all automakers.
Boy, ain't that the truth. The only thing worse is the repos of the crummy origionals.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
is Fast Enough ...

the right side tail light goes out until i tap the lens then, all the tail lights work fine,
have you tried a hammer or at least a plastic mallet ...
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:13 PM

thanks for the responds guys, just an update my break & tail fuses keep blowing out.........the metal tabs looked ok but one looked more black like burnd maybe not tho,i think my next move will be to take seats out and remove carpet too see if anything is pinched or damaged...i will keep u guys updated thanks oh yeah what about the main lamp swith where would i find that?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM

Have you looked behind the instrument cluster or under the dash good? I would check there before yanking the whole interior...
If you are stripping it, might as well replace the carpet and recover the seats, too!