Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2016, 05:12 AM

Radio upgrade

I have a 1964 Cutlass with an AM radio that I want to upgrade without cutting the dash. What are you using?
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Art, I am using a modern single DIN AM/FM, Bluetooth, USB radio. I am going to install it in the glove box and keep my original, non-functioning radio in the dash.
Old December 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Olds64 is going to do exactly what I was going to suggest. I don't think anybody makes radios with the two shafts anymore. One other option is to have your radio converted to a new modern radio. It will look original and still mount in your dash.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you want a functioning in-dash radio, have your old one converted to modern AM/FM internals with aux inputs. Otherwise, use a hidden system and keep the original in the dash for looks. I only listen to MP3s anymore anyway, so I like the hidden Out Of Sight Audio systems that bluetooth to my phone.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
One other option is to have your radio converted to a new modern radio.
x2

I decided on using the single DIN radio in the glove box because I had it sitting in my shop. It was originally in my truck, but I sold it last spring.

FWIW, I suggest you avoid Retro Sound and Custom Auto Sound head units. They are radios that look like an original AM/FM but have modern internals with options like USB, Bluetooth and mini-phono jack. I've done some research and apparently they have mixed reviews.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:35 AM

I have a 65 cutlass and installed a Retrosound radio system. It has 2 ***** no cutting of dash and looks like factory. Depending on the model, they have Bluetooth and MP3 capabilities. There are others out there , just need to look around.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
x2

I decided on using the single DIN radio in the glove box because I had it sitting in my shop. It was originally in my truck, but I sold it last spring.

FWIW, I suggest you avoid Retro Sound and Custom Auto Sound head units. They are radios that look like an original AM/FM but have modern internals with options like USB, Bluetooth and mini-phono jack. I've done some research and apparently they have mixed reviews.
Olds 64 I have a retro sound in my 65 cutlass for 2 years and no problems. Maybe I got lucky.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Administrator

I've installed a few of retro sound radios in some friends cars, they're ok with decent power. They sound as good as any single din system. They are a bit complicated to setup, but what isn't these days.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I bought one many years ago and sent it back due to poor performance and low quality build and looks. I now have a "retro" 1980s Sony shaft mount radio in the dash - just like back when I was in high school.
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Thanks, everyone. I was looking at the RetroSound. Does anyone make a wired,remote unit that could be mounted in the trunk?
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:06 AM

I have a Custom Autosound in my Supreme, it is a two shaft and looks/fits well....Even with a pre-amp in the trunk and 4 high quality Sony speakers the sound is significantly lower quality than the original equipment Boss system in my Cadillacs or the Blauplunkt system in my BMW...it is still better than the original Delco.
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:39 PM

On my 64 F-85 build I chose a marine Kenwood head unit mounted in the glove box. While on the road I will be using my I phone to blue-tooth Pandora etc. to the head unit. Friend built a old school boom box mounted in the trunk, located an 80's Soundstream 250 watt amp. on Fleabay in perfect condition and added couple of stout 6x9's in the package tray area. This sound system, new A/C system, dual electric radiator fans and other accessories I added are wired to a separate Painless 7 circuit breaker panel, not connected to the 64 wiring. My 64 wiring is still in very good shape and only using it for what few items came with the car. Do not want this heavy electrical load on the old stuff. 130 amp alternator should take care of the rest of it. Just a few ideas, I can get into more detail if this interests you. Over and out.....
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:48 PM

I sent my origional radio from my 72 Cutlass to Gary Tayman. http://taymanelectrical.com/history.htm. He put new innards in it and it still uses the origional controls. I used the optional Bluetooth and MP3 hook up. I absolutely love it. Pricey but well worth it.
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ART T
I have a 1964 Cutlass with an AM radio that I want to upgrade without cutting the dash. What are you using?
In my '65 442 I settled for a cheap AM/FM stereo Oldsmobile radio from a later model in the junkyard.
Old December 10th, 2016, 05:19 AM

Check out antique automobile radio in palm harbor,Florida . I bought one for my 70 cs and you couldn't tell it from the original
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:51 AM

I kept my original radio for looks, but have an amplifier in the trunk with a jack under the dash that I can plug my iPhone into. I can listen to any radio station in the world and unlimited music choices.
Old December 10th, 2016, 07:25 AM

Kevdog probably some similarities there. How does it sound to you? I have not tried mine yet. I'm going to make a plastic radio delete cover for the old am except for the volume-off and on hole. What I did there is routed the hole out a little and installed a LED ( lights up blue) off and on switch for the A/C compressor. The cigarette lighter socket was routed out a bit an installed a USB charging ports for an I phone, I pad.
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:56 PM

I must say that I've used a RetroSound radio for about 6 years. I bought the Model One when it first came out, I have not had a single issue with it in all that time.

Highly recommended.
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:12 AM

I have used this in the past. Very easy install.

https://rediscoveradio.com/
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:45 PM

I can add bluetooth to any AM or AMFM radio that works flawelessly while retaining all of the original internals and functionality. My 70 Cutlass has an original AMFM stereo with my own bluetooth module mounted and wired up inside. I have to say I use it almost exclusively to play spotify or Sirius from my phone. There isn't much left to listen to on AM or FM that doesn't have loads of annoying commercials so this is a great alternative. The bluetooth connects wirelessly to your phone as soon as you fire it up. Just select your music source on your phone and hit play and you are rocking in the free world. Send me a text or message me 480-235-1964 Jim
Old February 18th, 2017, 08:15 AM

classic radios for 69 olds 442

Has anyone tried out the 730 series radio with the slidebar and Bluetooth built in? I wonder if it must have an external amp with a separate set up for a woofer since it has 5 channel outputs? Thanks
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM

classic radios for 69 olds 442

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/196...h-usa-740.html

here's the link to the specific radio I'm looking at. My mistake 740 not 730.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 04:09 PM

Out of sight Audio

Thanks Joe! I took your suggestion on this post and installed the Out of Sight Audio in my 442 and its perfect.

Guy
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you want a functioning in-dash radio, have your old one converted to modern AM/FM internals with aux inputs. Otherwise, use a hidden system and keep the original in the dash for looks. I only listen to MP3s anymore anyway, so I like the hidden Out Of Sight Audio systems that bluetooth to my phone.