cigarette lighter question

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2018, 12:55 PM

cigarette lighter question

I have a 68 442 and finally have everything on the dash working. The cigarette lighter works but the return spring is weak. Occasionally it doesn't pop back out and I'm concerned it could stay engaged and eventually melt the dash, bezel, handle or all three...

Does anyone know of a replacement housing that works for Oldsmobiles? There is this Rochester style housing that looks correct but if anyone knows for sure I'd appreciate it:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...xoCXksQAvD_BwE

I already tried a cheap "Doorman HELP!" housing but the Olds lighter element won't fit down the bore and its the wrong style also (casco i guess?: spring in the handle as opposed to the housing).

Thanks in advance. Can't find a lot of specific info on this one.

Last edited by rothlane'68; October 20th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 25th, 2018, 06:04 PM

well... I guess I'll order one and find out
Old October 25th, 2018, 06:25 PM

Personally, I would tear out the heating element so it could never work. The only smoke allowed in my car is tire smoke! I use my cig lighter socket for my phone charger ( kids today know cigarette lighters as “power outlets”), so simply unplugging the lighter isn’t an option. If your really concerned about melting the dash or burning down the car I’d disable the lighter somehow. Disposable lighters are pretty cheap!!
Old October 26th, 2018, 06:26 AM

I don't smoke and the most use it will see is as a power outlet.

I guess I could unscrew the element and keep the **** to keep things looking original. But I like for everything to work.

I'm not too concerned about it. You just tend to see melted dashes/*****/bezels from 68/69 (a non working example thats pretty crispy came with the car) and maybe this is how that happens, as a short would probably pop the fuse. I figure the spring gets clogged with tobacco and wears out from the heat since its at the bottom of the housing. As it won't see much use anyway and this one lasted 50 years, I figure a new housing should last me until my eyesight goes!