Wiring harness Removal Engine Bay??

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Question Wiring harness Removal Engine Bay??

Hey folks, I'm in the process of swapping a 307 from an 88 Cruiser into an 86 Cutlass. Now I almost have the 307 out of the cutlass with exception to the Compressor and lines. I Unhooked umpteen wires from the engine to leave the harness in the car. Is'nt there a way to unhook the harness from the car? I'm looking towards just unhooking the harnass from the Cruiser and leaving it with the engine for the swap. Is this possible? Also hoping the trans from the cruiser will fit the cutlass driveshaft with no problems. Maybe within the next year Copperhead will be running again.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Past Administrator

It may not be possible. Usually the harness goes through a hole in the firewall and on the inside is actually terminated in the fuse block. You would have to be able to pass the complete assembly through the hole (however large it is) in the firewall and that may not be possible. To do that you would have to disconnect ALL the wires on the fuseblock that go to anything in the interior of the car. So you end up disconnecting as many or more wires in the passenger compartment as you would in the engine compartment. I think it would be better to disconnect at the engine.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Tim 78Skylark

There is a junction block under the master cylinder. It has an 8mm bolt through the middle of it. Take this out and unclip the harness. You can remove the engine with the harness on it.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:49 PM

Tim has it right Just compare it with your old one To see if its compatable.Same amount of terminals. If not you may have to add to your in car harness