Wiper diagnosis help

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2014, 09:15 PM

Wiper diagnosis help

Wipers nor fluid motor work. Went through the Diagnosis on 12-46 of csm. I'm at the point where it recommends to remove wiper arms to see if they are binding. When wired directly to the battery doesn't sound like the motor is trying to do anything. You would think it would make a little noise or sound if the arms were bound up. Also, motor got real hot to the touch when hooked up, internal short? However, the before I buy a motor I figure to take the arms off and try motor one more time. I'm not sure how to get the arms off. CSM say refer to sec 2 of body manual. I don't have access to one. This is a 72 Cut Supreme. Also. is the fluid pump motor dependent on the wiper motor? I Hot wired it too and it doesn't squirt fluid.

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:44 AM

The washer pump is dependant on the wiper motor rotating to drive the cam for the pump. The wiper arms can be removed by prying on the attaching '****' opposite the arm hinge with a suitable tool being careful not to damage the paint. There is a little tang under that **** that is a kind of lock. Lift up on that part as you pry the rest upward.
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:16 PM

The key words in the instructions: being careful not to damage the paint.
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:49 PM

Try to disconnect the arms at the back of the motor so that the motor is isolated. If you remove only the arms, any other part of the linkage or pivots could be frozen. I have seen pivots (the splined piece where the arm attaches) freeze on another make.
Old June 12th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why not just remove the motor from the cowl, ground it, and run it that way?

No risk to the paint, and you've isolated all of the linkage for further examination, if necessary.

- Eric
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:18 PM

X2 what Eric said, take that puppy right out and put it on the bench to test it. Google Wilcox Corvette wiper motor test. Best info online, videos and written descriptions to diagnose your motor. Check it out.
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:22 PM

If you decide to take the wiper motor out, be careful not to put any creases in the screen.
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Trouble shooting per the CSM I could not get the motor to run. After detaching the motor I could not move the wiper arm linkage either. However when I took it off all the joints seem to move freely. Is there a diagram out there that shows how to install the wiper arm linkage? I flipped through the assembly manual and they don't diagram the linkage.

Also how is the motor casing supposed to be grounded? I tested per the Wilcox video and got it to run correctly. It appears the motor case is not grounding. But there appears to be factory installed rubber grommets at the mounts. So the screws never touch the motor casing?

Last edited by davoaz; June 14th, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:51 AM

I think there is a brass strip, similar to the one on the steering rag joint. Fits under one of the screws and into the cowl...and there's your ground.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wiper_motor_ground.jpg (67.2 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Nop; June 16th, 2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old June 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Oh...works on the bench test, huh? Well it's a power or ground prob then. Use a test light, check for power. One of the grommets should have a ground strap on it. You can buy those. Try cleaning the strap.